iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite leaking bar oil

Started by ADAMINMO, June 17, 2009, 01:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADAMINMO

I have had for many years now a Homelite chainsaw(33cc) that I bought at Walmart.From day one it has leaked the bar oil out of it. I recently bought  a larger Homelite chainsaw (42cc) and it does the same thing. Any Ideas why they do it. It looks as if it comes out of the tank where the hose goes into through a rubber grommet and the to the bar hole.Makes me wonder if it is expanding due to heat and being pushed out ,as I dont notice it to do it in the winter time. It makes a heck of a mess and I get tired of having to clean it up in my truck bed or the shop floor. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Sprucegum

:( I can't help you except to say "you are not alone"  ::)

I have a homelite, a Husky, and an Echo and everyone leaks worse than the last  >:(

beenthere

Adam
Does it make any difference if you crack open the filler cap/plug to relieve any pressure from the oil warming up?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ADAMINMO

Not sure. They usually sit out in the shed for several weeks before I need to use them and I then find a puddle of oil or if I leave them in the truck bed for a few days(has bed cover on it).Guess I could crack the filler cap a little to see if it helps.

ENTS

I know it's not a Homelite, but my Hq. 353 leaks all the time, since day one.  Asked the service dept. about it and they just said it's the nature of the beast. 
Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

Ironmower

The only way I get mine to stop leakin is not to put oil in it.  ;D
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

caz

Put a sadle bag on it, put some extra oil in it and call it your Harley Homelite

mburrow

cracking the cap will not stop it, I have the z3300 and it does the same thing.it is the way the oiling system is made

SouthernRumRunner

I always though that was normal for a homelite :D I just put some old newspaper under them.

alsayyed

Hello Damini and hello to everybody. Do not panic I can tell you what is the problem with Homelite chainsaw oil leak. There is little procedure you have to go through.

Problem # 1 takes the oil out off the tank. Pour kerosene in the tank and start running the engine. After running the engine you will notice immediatly where is the leak is coming from the reason I have said that because kerosene is very light substance.

Problem # 2 checks the seal which is located under the oil pump sometimes it get broken.

Problem # 3 this is very important check the gasket which is installed between the   chainsaw bodies, it is like paper, this is very important sometimes oil is coming from that area if the gasket have damaged.

Good luck

mburrow

here is a parts list

ADAMINMO

#15 on the oil tank parts list is where both of mine leak at.

John Mc

I had a Jonsered 2141, and now a 2152 that both leaked. I couldn't find the source (I have to admit I didn't look very hard). I did ask the dealer where they were purchased, and he said "it's just the nature of some of these saws". Got a used Husky 357XP and it never leaks. A friend with another 357 leaks as bad as my Jonsereds.

Alsayyed's post has me wondering if I may have messed up the gasket between the two halves of my case. I pulled some bolts from the front of the saw to replace the dogs shortly after I bought it. The oil tank may have been pressurized at the time, due to temperature changes. Wonder if I blew the gasket out at that time?

John McNerney
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mike_van

"it's just the nature of some of these saws". Boy, that sounds like a cop-out, huh?  I've got three 35 year old Homelites that get used most everyday & don't leak.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Thank You Sponsors!