iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

got a question about my dodge...again

Started by Carries-Mom, June 16, 2009, 10:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carries-Mom

ok..here it goes...Where can I find fuel injectors good and cheap for my dodge ram 3500 turbo diesel???  We have been looking online and such and some want so much more money than others.  We thought maybe they came with new gaskets and such but they all list the same thing.   ::)  It all started when we HAD to change the 2 batteries in the truck.  They must have been at least 8-10 years old.  It got to the point we had step on the gas pedal to get it to start.  The new batteries fixed that problem.  When hubby took one of the batteries out to put the new one in, he negative post broke right off of the battery.  Now, with new batteries, it starts right up.  We noticed a small tapping sound and I'm not sure where, and a small damp spot I think by the fuel injection pump?  Anyway, after talking to a few mechanics in the area, they all say the same thing, and a friend of ours says it would be a lot cheaper to do it ourselves and he would help.  We also need to rebuild the front end, but not anytime soon.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...THANKS!!!

WH_Conley

Just damp, no drips, I would have oil sample done and not worry unless it started missing or excessive smoking. I have had damp fittings, no drops for the last 100k or more.
Bill

DanG

To find that tapping noise, stop by an elcheapo parts store and pick up a mechanic's stethascope.  They only cost a few bucks and can help save you some money, worry, and heartache.  An expensive sounding noise can be pretty harmless, and vice-versa.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Carries-Mom

thanks for the input guys ;D...we will have to try that...any other suggestions are appreciated.. 8)

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

You can use a length of hardwood dowel for a stethoscope. Put one end solidly on the portion of the engine you want to check, and your ear to the other. We learned that in auto shop class back before they used stethoscopes.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

It's not the Injectors. It's the stinkin New Diesel Fuel.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Marvel Mystery Oil in the engine oil. Cleans the lifters.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Raider Bill

Or a long screw driver.

If you do want to send out a oil sample I can do that for you.

Why are you replacing the injectors?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

vt k-9

what year is your Dodge? If it is a 94 -98 it could be your lift  pump.     They can make a ticking noise as they wear. As for injectors try Industrial injection 800-955-0476 or Dynomite diesel performance 360-794-7974 If you want used get on TDR and go to the classifids. They always have injectors.                       

zopi

Run a bottle of injector cleaner through about every other tank for four or five tank fulls...been doing that regularly on mine (2002 CTD 2500 4X4) and it has kept it working well...performance falls off if I don't..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dave Shepard

Year is important. If I remember right, yours is about a '96. They use a different injector than the 98.5 and later "24 valve" engines. tstproducts.com is where I got mine from. They were the +40 hp Bosch injectors Cummins uses in their motorhome engine of that time period. They were $330 new for all six. Just checked, those same injectors are now $560 for a stock, non-modified Bosch part. Unless something funky is going on, Cummins injectors seldom fail.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rebocardo

> what year is your Dodge? If it is a 94 -98 it could be your lift  pump.

GMTA. It starts as a ticking and eventually the pump will fail. $1300 pump RMF and only from Dodge and unfortunately Dodge added on their own gizmo circuit board so it can't be rebuilt by most people.

It takes a few special tools to replace too.

If you are getting leaks from the rail, then you have to fix the leak. If someone recently serviced the vehicle, look back towards #4/#5 and see if it is coming from the nut.

Carries-Mom

our dodge is a '97.  We were thinking about replacing some stuff, but wanted to get input first.  I don't need to be spending money I don't need to spend.  The ticking noise has been going on for about a year now, but at first thought it was an exhaust leak, but can't find a hole or anything.  Got to talkin' to a friend of ours and he talked to a few others and they came up with the same things you guys are tellin' me.  Is there any way to tell if the lift pump is going without taking it somewhere so they can tell me 18 different things that need to be fixed???  Even though it doesn't have 18 different things wrong with it?  I think we tried the Marvel mystery oil, but will check with hubby.  It runs fine and now starts great with new batteries that aren't fallin' apart. ::)  Just want to keep her runnin' since it's our only vehicle and Carrie's favorite because she can see everything around her and I can see idiots coming.. ;D  I knew I came to the right place to ask about my truck... 8)

DanG

Well the only thing I've heard so far that needs to be checked out is that pesky little ticking noise.  I still say get a stethoscope.  The dowel trick only works if it is internal in the engine.  An experienced ear might recognize the sound easily, but it is hard to find an experienced ear that isn't connected to an unreliable mouth. ::)  Another point is, if an exhaust leak is big enough to be visible, it will be more of a roar than a tick.

There are two ways to fix a vehicle.  You can diagnose the problem and repair it, or you can throw money at it until it goes away.  I prefer the former method, but most repair shops tend toward the latter.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sprucegum

Just to add to all the possibilities  ::)

When my '03 Dodge started getting louder, ticking/hammering etc., we put a scope on it and found the fuel pump was putting out way too much pressure. Changed the pressure sensor regulator thingy and all was good again. A $300 touch covered by warrantee  ;D

Dave Shepard

'03-present Dodge is Common Rail,
'98.5-'02 Bosch VP44 electronic,
'89-'98 mechanical Bosch P7100 pump.

The VP44's can be rebuilt now by a diesel shop. The '97 will have the P7100, a great reliable pump.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rebocardo

> Is there any way to tell if the lift pump is going without taking it somewhere

No, even then they would be guessing before taking it part. You could do a fuel pressure test.

This is one of the best Dodge diesel forums

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

(commonly known as TDR)

jesse

the valves could be in need of adjustment

vt k-9

The lift pump on my 97 ticked for a while. I was going to change it but it is a bit of a job. It stopped after a bit. If your truck runs good and it is the lift pump I might just leave it alone.

stonebroke

I have been told that after the lift pump goes in those dodges then the injector pump goes. Something about not getting enough fuel to cool the injector pump. I know one cattle trucker that went though three injector pumps before they figured it out.

Stonebroke

vt k-9

You are  right about that but it would be on the vp44 pump. That pump was used on  98.5 -2002 year of trucks. I like the p7100 pumps better as they are very trouble free and can make a lot of power.

Carries-Mom

no problems with the performance 8)  just changed the upper ball joints...they were completely worn out...now we have to change the lower ball joints and put new shocks on the front...the truck will be like new...the ticking has stopped so I'm not too worried about it right now.

Thank You Sponsors!