iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Awassos Mini Skidder

Started by JDeere, June 15, 2009, 09:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDeere

Has anyone ever seen or used one of these skidders? I would like to get something to log with this winter other than my tractor and this seems like it might work well. The factory is only about an hour and a half from my house. Any thoughts on using this size skidder?

http://www.awassos.com/awassos_MD50_MD60.html
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Reddog

First, let me say I have not run one or seen one up close.

But I do think they have a place in selective cuts and thinning.
As long as you compare it to a 60-70 hp range tractor, I don't think you would be dissatisfied.
The only complaints I had seen where on the availability of parts. You are close enough to the factory that should not be an issue.

I would try to get some local contacts from them and see what the owners think also.

sjfarkas

I want one!  How much?  Do they make any type of grapple for them?  I noticed that they are good up to 75% slope.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Wallys World

Sawmill and Woodlot magazine did a review on this machine I think within the last year. You might look it up. I remember correctly it is kinda pricy.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

thecfarm

Do a search on the top of the page for awassos.Might give you some more insight on this machine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed

Quote from: Wallys World on June 16, 2009, 01:41:07 AM
Sawmill and Woodlot magazine did a review on this machine I think within the last year. You might look it up. I remember correctly it is kinda pricy.

Didn't read the review, but I do recall from previous dicussions here that it was big $$$$.

Ed <-----don't have big $$$$

Woodhog

They look like a nice small machine but I would not put money into any piece of equipment
that would only do one job, especially forestry equipment at this time.

A multi-use machine (Tractor)won't do as good as a single use machine, but you have things such as market for selling it someday, state of this racket at this time, but every ones situation is different.

I always liked those little things,  good luck with it if you buy one.

Kodiakmac

I have to agree with Ed.  These bush-buggies run in the $55 - 60,000 Canadian range.

I could probably buy five good used skidders for that kind of coin.  Imagine, you could have two 225 series Timberjacks along with two 440 John Deeres plus a C4 Treefarmer - all in good shape - and still have cash left over for a chainsaw or two and a month-long vacation in The Caymans.

I'm sure they're a nice little machine, but I'm running a 440 john Deere (only 7 feet wide) and my buddy has a 225 Timberjack (about 7 foot 4) and we can get around on any trail that can accomodate a farm tractor with a loader.  And....although I've never used an Assawos, I'm pretty sure my old JD can handle a bigger drag.

Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Sawyerfortyish

A guy I've done some business with has one of those turbo forester skidders very much the same size as that one. I was not at all impressed with it as it could not pull my tri axle empty across a small incline that the top layer had thawed and was slick in winter. My comment was if you can't help me get the truck in empty how do you think i'm going to get out. Since I had drove an hour to get there he decided to skid the logs to me it was a short skid about 300' 4 hours later I only had 1/2 the truck loaded and he blew a hydraulic hose on the skidder. I think someone could have pulled more than that little tinker toy faster with horses. I have a 230 tj that has been my work horse for 20 years I paid 9000.00 for it  back then and have never regretted it. I'll agree 100% with kodiakmac good used skidders are all over the place for sale cheap. I'll also comment on using a farm tractor as a skidder from experiance. The first time a dead tree along the skid trail falls on the tractor and you it will make you a believer to get the right machine for the job at hand. I found that out the hard way and lived to tell about it.

JDeere

Thank you all for the advice and info. I called the factory today and found out they are a couple weeks away from introducing an MD-80 model. It has 84 HP and a hydrostatic drive. The shocker was that it will sell for around $90,000.00 CDN. I guess a good used 540 or 640 is looking better all the time.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

nhlogga

i saw those little skidders a the loggers expo in bangor,me a few years ago. they are tiny. simple machine. i agree with every one else not worth the money. for that price you could buy a low hour machine thats only a few years old.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

sjfarkas

It looks like it has a specific application and that small scale application is always going to cost more.  If you need to do production logging to pay the bills then this might not be the way to go, but if you are getting paid to thin sensitive areas or only have small tracks of land to clear(only a couple of acres) then this machine could be very useful.  I wish I had one for a job coming up because a larger skidder probably won't fit.Will I buy one? Not at that price, but it doesn't mean that I can't have hopes and dreams.  I love tractors, all kinds!
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Coon

Do yourself a favour and buy an older smaller skidder like mentioned or if you got the time build your own like I am.  Mine is going to be a tracked unit specific to my needs.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

critter

Right now for 90,000 you could by a good  used skidder truck with
   loader portable mill and still have enough money left to sit around
   and think about useing them

Coon

Critter,

Don't forget about purchasing all the standing timber you would need for a while too.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

shinnlinger

Hi,

If I were doing this I would probably buy a used skidder as already has been suggested. 

BUT if small less disturbing logging is your goal and to give you something to compare, Yesterday I was at Woodmills1 (nice guy and check out his posts) place and he has a Payeur (sp?) forestry tractor.

It is a Kioti 40 horse tractor but Payeur puts a good cage and plates on it winch and best of all a link that diverts the power steering hydropower to the auxilary hydrualics when you need it.  He also has a walking beam log trailer with loader that trails behind him and he is quite pleased with it.  I'm sure they dont give these away either, but With the tractor you have obvious other uses like mowing the lawn(thats how you sell it to the wife) and plowing snow so it might make sense for you to go that route.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

blkhillsvt

Hi,
I contacted the distributor for the Awassos and got the video, the skidder struggled with its hitches and quite honestly isn't worth the $$. I purchased a John Deere 340D and its the best thing I did.
JD 340D cable skidder,Stihl MS440,Stihl 046
Deeds are fruits, words are but leaves

Thank You Sponsors!