iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Information about Husky 261

Started by Slingshot, June 13, 2009, 09:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingshot

I just got into sawmilling this past winter and have been lurking on the forum for awhile and would like some advise on a Husky 261. I know it is an older saw, date of manufacture is 1998, but seems to have not been used much. Looks to have original bar, 20 inch, with most of paint still on it and good chain. No cracks in case and starts and runs good. Has the compression release button. Would like to know if the saw would be worth $200.00.
   I have a Husky 55 that I bought new and am well pleased with it. It is 51cc's and the 261 is 62cc's. Also, would this saw handle a 24 inch bar?
    Thanks for all the info you've all posted about chainsaws. 

nhlogga

if you want to run a 24 inch bar i'd recommend a saw in the 70cc or larger class. the 261 in my opinion is a good little saw. i had a 262 husky which was pretty much the same as the 261.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Rocky_J

It will pull a 24", just not with as much authority as a 70cc saw. And since you're running a 20" on the 55 then it makes sense to put a 24" on the 261. You might also want to borrow the 20" bar off the 55 and put it on there to try it out.

Slingshot

Thanks for the info. I'm still not sure about buying the 261. Just thinking of something in the 60-70cc range. I have some rather large (30+inch) poplars to take down and would like a little more bar length.
This one is about 100 feet tall, just over 30 inches near the bottom, and I have some larger than this:

Cut4fun

Have relatives in E town. 

I ran a 22" on a 60cc with full comp full chisel and it was all it could handle buried in some black oak.

You could do the poplar with a 24" in the softwood with the 261. But I wouldn't want to do it all the time. Maybe try running full skip chain on a 24". $200 seems like a decent buy if the saw is in great condition inside and out.

Got that size  poplar and bigger it looks on my land across the river up north of you.

oakwood productions

I agree with nhlogga  I would look for a saw in the 70cc range but put a 28 inch bar on it to give you greater versatility.

SawTroll

Quote from: nhlogga on June 14, 2009, 12:14:10 PM
if you want to run a 24 inch bar i'd recommend a saw in the 70cc or larger class. the 261 in my opinion is a good little saw. i had a 262 husky which was pretty much the same as the 261.

Pretty much the same, yes - but the 261 is a 262xp that is severly detuned a lot on purpose - the different piston and muffler make a huge difference in performance. The clutch is different as well.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!