iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

upgrading my Nyle kiln chamber, questions about compressor and bd ft limits/time

Started by Kelvin, June 13, 2009, 08:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,
I've got an older Nyle 200 i think... the one that says it will do 4000 bd ft.  My current kiln is in the way of my storage and machines in my barn so i just bought an old reefer trailer that had its guts pulled.  45 long.   So i'm wondering does it take much longer to dry 4000 bd ft than my old limit of 1800?  I've got to build some sort of base to set the trailer on once i pull the axles and get the angle iron in there to run the carts on.  Don't know how strong the floors are in these, but its "grooved aluminum" looks like little channels in the floor for some reason.  I'm planning on making partition curtains of some sort to allow for smaller size loads without conditioning the whole space.

the other question is about my compressor.  I had some crazy guy come out to charge it for me, and told him on the phone it needed to be weighed in and not done by the sight glass.  Showed him the owners manual, "don't use the sight glass to fill" and what does he do while i stand there?  Charge me "only" $200 to fill by the sight glass.  He thought the compressor was "no good" cause it smelled "burnt" to him, but it did pull off more water after he pumped it up, so he decided the compressor was fine. We found that the filler cap was leaking, or he made it leak when he filled it, but he said he fixed it for me.  Well its not doing very well now again, so i'm off wondering how to get it properly fixed.  I called every fridge guy in town and nobody would come work on it, or "weigh" in.  Its been suggested that i take it in, so thats what i'll try do, but do compressors burn out like this or is it more likely that there is not enough freon in it, and has a leak?  Should i only use a replacement Nyle compressor or is this a stock item for Fridge guys?

Any help appreciated thanks
kelvin

DanG

It sounds like you need a real refrigeration mechanic, not just an appliance repairman.  Know anybody in the grocery biz?  Ask them who does their mechanical work.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

yellowzo6

As far as the refridgeration goes .... Yes if possable you should weigh in the cahage.  Refrigerant smelling burnt... is sign of a compressor burn out. not repairable by putting new gas in. need new refridgeration unit. leaking valve caps / schrader valves are common. valve caps should be brass with O rings on them. Schraded valves can be replaced.
good luck

Sawyerfortyish

Have you called Nyle? I have 2 Nyle kilns and they were always very helpful and willing to talk and fugure things out. Calling in outside help that doesn't really know is kinda like taking your chevy to a dodge dealer to fix.

Thank You Sponsors!