iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdoc visit

Started by bandmiller2, June 11, 2009, 07:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Had a long visit with my sawdoc yesterday.Got two saws hammered my old disston 48" and Simons 50".A little tidbit Simonds stamps information on the saw plate just outside the collar area their will be a diamond with the month and year of manuf. near that type and number of bits 'shanks est.My Simonds was made in dec. 1947 I was one year old when it rolled out of the Fitchburg plant.Asked about circular saws he says their coming back a few years ago said he thought he'd have to get on the band wagon.Now their using headrigs for initial breakdown and thin kerf for resaw.Bands last alot longer in clean cants and the circular saw is quicker to make the cants.The new computer controlled circular saws with air cond booths are good for his business.You don't get much feedback from the saw when your in the booth with headphones and rock music.Says many times a nail will get hit dulling teeth and sawyer dosen't know, powered with huge diesels,fed at max speed next log dull saw gets twisted into the headblocks.He said the trend is to more teeth and faster feeds,they did a study of commercial circular mills ,during the work day the saw was only in the log 15% of the time how much are you going to gain feeding it faster??I'am sure some will dissagree with what was said but think about it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jason.weir

Frank - Great info, was it Bruce Dexter you went to visit?

-J

bandmiller2

Sure was ,is their anyone else around here.He has a real nice setup in his new barn,lifting to a bare minimum.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sprucegum

I have seen the same trend in our welding facility. They keep trying to speed up the welding when the bottleneck is in the pipe handling  ::)  ::)

backwoods sawyer

The place to shave time is with the scanning and positioning of the log. Depending on the amount of production as to whether you are talking 100th of a sec or just seconds, but it all adds up.
It is good to see you have a close relationship with your saw doc. It seems that the sawyers always want the saws to cut faster and the filers always want the sawyers to cut slower. There is a happy medium in there where the saws perform better. If you run your saws all out, all the time, trying to "fill the gullet" you are shortening the life of the saw, (ie.more saw changes = less production) reading how the saw is performing in the cut and adjusting your feed speed to the log will gain you more production. Depending on your mill set up and how you deal with break downs in the rest of the mill, the headrig can bury the back end with cants. Slowing the headrig down when the rest if the mill is full rather then running at full speed then stopping will also gain you production. Just food for thought.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Captain

Bruce is THE premire sawdoc in all of the Northeast.  There are others, but none better.

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!