iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dis Old House

Started by Mark M, August 29, 2003, 04:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Today we bought da old house with turdy rooms. 8) I am afraid my work is cut out for the next I don't know how many years. :o It sure will be nice to have some room and ya never know when 10 or 12 people will stop by for a visit.

Mark

biziedizie

Wayyyyy to go Mark. 8)

Should I start packing my tools to fly out and give you a hand fixing up then thurdy rooms??? ;D ;D

Them there old houses can be tricky if ya don't be careful. :o

Steve

Mark M

Ya - do you know how to put shingles on Steve?

Minnesota_boy

It's best to tie Steve down first so the shingles won't slide off when he wiggles.  Do you plan to use a nail gun when you put the shingles on Steve?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Minnesota_boy

Turdy rooms, eh?  Do you think he'd notice if I moved in with him?  I'm pretty quiet.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Kevin_H.

If'n I was going to put shingles on steve, I think I would use staples, But I dont know how don feels about that! ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

shopteacher

Shingles, I love shingles, put them on in my sleep  Nailed down 22 square this summer on the barn. Thurdy rooms, I think they tricked you Mark and sold you a hotel.  :D  How much the rooms going for a night?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

biziedizie

Oh ain't you guys funny. :D :D :D :D :D

Mark shingles are easy to lay if ya know what your doing. ;D Hand nail them and they will last forever aslong as you step up to the plate and buy the good ones.

Three years ago I bid on a condo job to do shingles and I told the developer that we hand nail as a spiker would hold the shingles to tight and the lack of movement would make the suckers split. :o See the spiker is fast and the other bid could complete the job two days before us, ie less buxs. We lost the job because of it.
  Anyways just before the summer that we are in now this condo spent $35,000 replacing this roof. My estimate in the begining was $28,000 to do it right and Im guessing here but I think after two roofs they spent close to $60,000 over all.
  Sometimes a hammer and a bucket of nails is the best way to do things.

Steve

Texas Ranger

Caint use staples, he's wore out and got no points left. :-/
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Mark M

Shopteacher,

You hit the nail on the head. It did used to be a hotel, in fact the rooms on the second and third floor have numbers on the door and there is a men's and women's bathroom on the 2nd floor. :)

The neat thing is they are all big rooms, bigger that the ones in the house we are moving from. Here is a link to some pictures: Da Turdy Room House

Mark

PS - we'll give Steve some of dem corn-squeezens to num him up a bit before we start puttin on da shingles :D

PSS - Mn-Boy bring some of logs with you when you come, I've already got the mill set up in the front yard ;)

PSSS - How many squares of shingles will I need for da roof? The house is about 32 x 42 and the roof is pretty steep, 12/12 or better. It's got 4 gable ends.

Texas Ranger

SWAG, 24 squares, depending on the size and shape of gables.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

shopteacher

Glad you have the men and womens room upstairs. From the pictures I thought that small building out by the garage was the privy. :D :D  So just in case I ever get to N.D. how much for a suite? ;D  By the way, Great Looking Place, love those old buildings.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Kevin_H.

Hey mark,
That last pic on your site, looks like it could be converted into a kiln!

Looks like youve got lots of good flat concrete to saw on ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

whitepe

30 rooms huh?  
I see another get together in the making.
Since there are no trees in Bismark,
shall we call this the UnForestryForum get together?  :D

As for the shingles,  you've got a sawmill haven't ya,
make your own shingles.    ;D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Thank You Sponsors!