iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Last Night Got VERRRY Interesting

Started by Fla._Deadheader, June 10, 2009, 08:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Thunder Storm moved in and a bolt of Lightning struck the house.  :o :o Second time in my life time.  ::) :o

Of course, the Battery back up, Surge protector, is toast.  :) ALL the few remaining light sockets-switches, from the original wiring fiasco, are toast. Luckily, I ran new Romex and GOOD ground system, when I bought the place.

Phone connection box, on the inside of the house, had the little square cover swinging on the cable that plugs into it, and the external modem. The cable connector thingy is BLACK, not transparent any more.  ::) Light switch in the Bathroom is missing some parts. The bulb above the switch was swinging from the ground wire from the globe to the base.

Remember the flashing Fluorescent bulb delimber I wrote about ??  That circuit is fed off the same one as the bathroom light. Just the 2 lights on that line. That Fluorescent bulb was still flashing, all night.  ::) ::)

Blew out the fluorescent bulb in the kitchen, and the back patio lights are toast. Shop is fine, and, no fire that I could find.  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop

Refrigerator light was working, but, not the compressor. Reina just HAD to see inside this morning, closed the door and the compressor started running.  smiley_thumbsup_grin smiley_thumbsup

Guess all in all, we were pretty lucky, EH ??? (That's canadian)  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Raider Bill

Sorry to hear you got struck :'(

Glad to hear you are all ok. Lightning sure does some weird thing to applinaces.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Fla._Deadheader

Did some weird things to Reina and the dog. They were both on the back patio, and she was washing something in the cement sink. It boomed right above their heads, above the tin roof.
  Her and the dog diddied in different directions. Took me 2 hours to calm Reina down. The dog just stayed crazy most of the night.

This morning, both are calmer, more calm, not as excit, They are fine.  ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

WDH

Harold,

Sounds like y'all were lucky even while being somewhat unlucky.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Well now I guess you will be rewiring and solving the flashing light issue .  ;)

Bien content d'appendre que vous allez tous bien  eh eh   ( dats French Québecois )   :D ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

FDH, you're a true Forumite, thoroughly addicted.  Everything in your house is either damaged or destroyed, and the first thing you fixed was your internet connection. ::) :D :D  Glad y'all are ok! :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Actually, Internet was the last thing. I was really skeered to try to turn on the brand NEW Computer I just bought, a couple months ago.  :o :o :o :o

Yes Danny, VERY lucky.

Today, Reina developed inch long blisters on her hand and up her arm in several places. I'm absolutely she was burned from the lightning bolt.  I told her she just charged her battery, inside. Got "The look". Yeah, they use it down here, too.  Now, I call her "SUPER MUJER".

Last night, I sat mostly in the dark, for a couple hours, watching for a glow up in the small attic. When I was confident we had no fire, I went to bed. Got up at 5:30 and started playing with 1 wire at a time.

Been sawing 5 miles out in the brush. Heard about both our neighbors that don't talk to us.  ;D :D :D

One lost the Television, and antenna hook up, and ALL their light bulbs.

The other had windows blown out and the unlegal little girl-daughter had numerous cuts from the glass, as she was sleeping. There was other damage, but, Reina was talking too fast for me to understand, so I used the old uh-huh, uh-huh. Works for me  ;D ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

karl

That's tooooo close.
I'm glad you be good too- thats Northern Border jibberish ;D
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

easymoney

during another lifetime i serviced two way radio systems for a living so i got nervous when lightning was around. i never wanted to be under a 300 foot radio tower when it hit. but have spent hours repairing systems that was hit.a  friend once chained his dog to a tower he had his tv antenna on. lightning got his dog, i dont remember if his tv was hurt.
oh the old saying that lightning never strikes twice in one spot is wrong. i have had systems that got hit every time it came up a cloud for months then it would go for years without any more damage.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Carries-Mom

Wow!!!  thought things like that didn't happen down there??? :D :D :D  Is Reina ok???  If it ain't volcanoes it's sumpin' else...

Fla._Deadheader

Just got finished replacing the 100 Amp knife switch that is used for a Main Breaker. Blew one leg completely off the clamp and welded the Brass adjusting screw fast. "luckily"  ;) Had a spare. These folks don't believe in 2 of anything, other than kids and women.  ;D ;D ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Modat22

Wow happened to the wife and I at 2am this morning. Got up to get ready and had no water, I was afraid my well pump was fried but it was just the breaker.

I always thought if lightning tripped a breaker something would be ruined anyway. but nothing was (that I can see anyway)
remember man that thy are dust.

swampy

last week we had lightning strike two small pine trees next to the mill at the side of the house. Had to put out the fire in the pine needles in the pouring rain to keep it from burning the car or the mill. The blue glow was so bright in the front window that you could not see anyone in the house. Mill seems to be OK but I think it hit my sons car and now it won't start. That's 2 for me too. Pop can remember the time at my shop :o :o :o :o.
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

DanG

I hate to hear about all the misfortunes, but I'm gonna stay away from you bunch.  You know what they say about lightning strikes and such! :o ;) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fishpharmer

FDH, Glad to hear you and the Missus are okay.   That lightning don't play for sure. A while back, 6-7 years ago, I had lightning hit a big ole pine tree about 25 yards away that fried my computer.  Didn't hurt anything else. 

Did it fry the fish?

I was wanting to ask if you felt anything from the earthquake in Nicaragua? I heard it was really bad there.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Fla._Deadheader

No fish to fry. No earth rattling from Nicaragua. Have to get one more circuit working.  ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

I am thinking that lightning and flies have something in common ... certain people atract dem ....  :P   ;D

How is Reina doing ?  How you coming along with the rewirin'  ???    Need any advise , we could help ya out  eh eh  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Replaced the blown out light switch, in the Bathroom, and it works. Fixed that flashing bulb deal, also. Put an Incandescent bulb in the socket. IT don't flash  ::) ::) :D :D :D

Today, some time  ::) ::), got to work on the back Patio lights. Might just need new bulbs ???

Marcel, it's probably easier for you to enter CR, than to enter ObamaVille.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

isawlogs

It probably is , going to some place that has so many things wanting you as lunch aint gonna happen to soon .  ;)  I think I have the issue almost solved .. me thinks . I dont need a passport , so I will look into the driver licence ID thingy .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!