iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mr. Woodmizer goes to Washington?

Started by davemartin88, June 10, 2009, 07:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davemartin88

Had a milling job yesterday subcontracted to someone doing work for the Smithsonian- attached picture is the mill set up on the National Mall. We cut about 20 poplar, elm, and cherry logs to 3" slabs that will eventually be used for benches or seating. Pretty interesting set up other than the drive in and out to DC (actually, it wasn't bad, was on site by 7am and out by 2pm.

A lot of people stopped to watch and guess we were just another of the "exhibits" for the day. Hope to do a few more of these in the future, they seemed very pleased with the work and the quality of the lumber.

Thanks for looking.

Bibbyman

I just read in the news where a tree blew over on the White House lawn.  Better get over there and pick up some work.

Breitbart news
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Todd

Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Gary_C

That would be just great. A press conference in the White House interrupted by the sounds of chainsaws on the lawn.  8) 8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bibbyman

The sounds of the chainsaws would be drowned out but the howling and moaning of the wood hippies protesting the cutting up of the tree.   :D
Sawing since '94

DanG

That's just totally neat, Dave! 8) 8)  Not many folks get an opportunity like that!  I'm surprised they didn't sneak the logs out in the dark of night to keep from offending anyone. ::)  I'm glad they didn't. :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Cedarman

I can see it now. Dave is out there sawing away and Pres Obama comes over for some PR showing how small sawmills can be "green" sawing up yard trees.  Way to go Dave.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bibbyman

There's LogRite front and center too.  8)
Sawing since '94

TheWoodsman

Quote from: Cedarman on June 10, 2009, 10:58:16 AM
I can see it now. Dave is out there sawing away and Pres Obama comes over for some PR showing how small sawmills can be "green" sawing up yard trees.  Way to go Dave.

:D  In a perfect world.   ;)
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

fishpharmer

I second the coolness of that.  Woodmizer should  think those pics are worth a box of
blades :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

That is coolness cubed!

Wood hippies, are they like wood sprites?  Where do the wood nymphs fit into this picture ??? ??? ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

When I was in DC recently they were protesting the killing of camels making real a$$es of themselves,sure I like Joe camel but I am not going to blight our nations capital protesting.I asked if ther used to be a sawmill at Mt. Vernon no one seemed to know.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Radar67

Quote from: WDH on June 10, 2009, 01:01:54 PM
Wood hippies, are they like wood sprites?  Where do the wood nymphs fit into this picture ??? ??? ::).

The sprites and the nymphs live in peace and harmony together, the hippies just think they do.  :D :D :D

That is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I think we are all just a little envious.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

MotorSeven

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

DR_Buck

I'm bummed.  :(       Glad you got the call, but wish they called me instead.  ;)     I've done lots of milling jobs in DC and the outlying NVA suburbs, but never on the mall.  :o
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Cedarman

Radar 67, I think you are speaking for several of us on this envious thing.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

sawdust

Do the hidden microphones and sensors damage sawblades? Got to keep and eye on those tree huggers! Some of them are cute!
:D :D

Neat picture, that would be sawing in the mall?

sawdust

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

red

I got my woodmizer way and
imediately recoginized the pictures from this posting

Great Job Dave
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Rockn H

I saw it in Woodmizer-way. I missed the original post here.  Just wanted to say that is definately a once in a life time oppurtunity.  I hope you get some repeat business.  ;D

davemartin88

Thanks for bringing this post back up and for the kind words. Getting on the cover of the Woodmizer Way magazine is quite an honor! I was surprised when they called and wanted to do the story, even more so when it ended up being the cover story. I'm ready to go back whenever I'm called but will enjoy my 15 minutes in the mean time!

fishpharmer

Dave I don't get WM Way (yet).  I think the opportunity, pictures and media are fantastic not only for you but all portable sawyers. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

customdave

Dave that is neat to see your woodmizer on the whitehouse lawn!! Can't wait to get my copy of woodmizerway ,that picture will make a great keepsake!...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!