iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When is a log too big?

Started by moonhill, June 09, 2009, 08:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonhill

To go along with "When is a log too small"  thread, I want to know when one is too big?  I have not found one too big yet, they just don't grow too big around here.  I love wide pine.  The  throat on my saw open up to 30" that is the max I can go, the other factor is how high the head lifts up, I have to set the log down into the frame of the mill, my bunks are movable, this allows me to make the first cut and not take off too much wood.  It all grunt after that.

Tim 
This is a test, please stand by...

Ironwood

I  have not found one that was too big yet ;) waiting to get my nine foot bar under power>

ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dan_Shade

I'd saw up general sherman if the park service hired me to do it  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DRB

There is really no such thing as to big of a log only to small of a mill.  Most logs to big for your mill whole can be quartered with a chainsaw so they can be sawed. Personally I like cutting big logs because they produce some really nice stuff but wide boards are not always the way to go.  Most boards in the 16 to 30 inch range will be difficult to dry flat and keep flat if made into furniture.  Most planers can not handle them either. Wide boards do make nice siding or paneling when they can be nailed down well. I would not spend a lot of time on a low grade undesirable species log that was huge even if you could quarter it and saw it like a knotty cottonwood.  Bottom line is, that if you can not saw it somehow then it is to big for you but not for someone.   .  

Ron Wenrich

Maybe the question should be what is the optimum log.  What is too big or too small for one operation may work in another.

From an economic standpoint, there is a bell shaped curve.  There is a breakeven point where it takes too much time to break down a log for the return.  If you're time isn't worth much or your production is really fast, then you can break down those large or small logs.

I told the mill owners a long time ago that small logs kill production and are expensive to produce.  The same goes for large logs.  They drag down production and they cost more to produce.

But, there is nothing more satisfying to an old sawyer than to break down a large log into boards, just because I can.  Besides, there's always the challenge.  And that's priceless.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DanG

If a log is bigger than you're willing to tackle, it is too big.  There are ways to handle any of them, as has already been said.  Ironwood seems to think he'll be ready to take on all comers with his 9 foot mill, but he ain't found a 10' diameter log yet. ;D :D  He's probably ready for anything he expects to find in Pa., but then Burlkraft didn't expect to find a giant redwood in Wisconsin either. :o :o  He hadta holler for help, but they got'r done! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ianab

I've not met a log I couldn't mill yet, but there are a few trees that are still standing because we dont have enough chainsaw or heavy machinery to take it down. No point dropping a 5ft dia log into a gully if you haven't got a big dozer to haul it out again.  :-\

A log is too big when you can't handle or mill it. With a swingmill thats up around 4-5ft dia. IF you can get the log set up on a flat accessable spot.

Big logs can be worth the trouble as they often have a lot of very nice timber. Setting up the mill over a big log and pulling off stacks of nice clear 8x1s, thats worth the effort.

For a commercial mill, they dont have the equipment to handle a 30" plus log. They are sawing $1,000+ timber an hour. Disrupting production for the morning to process one log is crazy, even if it has $1,000 of timber. But for a small scale sawyer, spending a day breaking down a big log and recovering $1,000 of great timber is a good days work

Log size depends on your equipment.

Wiith the right portable mill you can easily saw 9 foot dia logs... just those logs are not so common these days.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chico

Ain't it the truth Ron to have the exp, to know how how to get it thru and turn out some good lumber when lesser(younger less exp etc) sawyers would would rip it to pcs before they got it small enough to do something with it I always liked about a 20 " log  just seem ed to saw good and turn out some good lumber and on to the next one that's one of the reasons I liked sawing logs are all diff  diff colors diff grains keeps from getting boring imo
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Ernie

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chico

My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

moonhill

Those might be too big, not that I would not try and do something with them.  I have often thought of getting a swing mill and an attached bar for slabbing the big stuff. 

How about long lengths or is that another thread?  My longest to date is a 9"x9"x54', I am on the trail of a 72' white pine log, I am waiting for a call from the guy taking it down.

Tim 
This is a test, please stand by...

redprospector

I'm with Chico on this one. 20" seems to be optimum for production on my little mill. Unfortunatly, trees around here don't maintain a 20" diameter all the way up. So I get a 20" then a 16" then a 12" and then an 8".
I've cut up log's that were 40", but it's hard on the body and the board count at the end of the day.
I figure that the best size of log is whatever you've got in the deck, if the job's paying good.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Stephen1

i just got to that ? today. I almost have the big pile of wood down to these 2 logs from what was dropped in the fall. I will have to 1\4 them to even lift them on to the mill. The 1st one at 12' long I am even thinking 6' would be a better length to manage. I know they will be a lot of work. Will the wood be worth getting, will the 8' log with a lot of knots showing be that all the way. With that and the 12'  which looks to be a very nice but log will I get wood I could use as a floor in my outdoor Gazebo.

this the wood dropped in the fall with 40yds of mulch for the gardens

This 12' of what I think will turn ok

this is 8' of oak I am not sure weather I should cut into firewood. They are both about 36"
this is my 1st time with hardwood this large so any suggestions would be appreciated even on how to 1/4 them 1st
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

DRB

Is that 2 or three logs? the pic in the middle does not look like it belongs to either of the other logs and look like a cull to me.The top one shows some potential for good grade lumber though it has a lot of waste with that bad spot.  The bottom one I would saw as the knots look small and I would expect some short but decent lumber out it not a lot of real high grade though. Just my opinion.  Remember the knots will go all the way to the center of the log they do not go away only get smaller. If you do saw them I would sure like to see pictures.

blame

bottom 2 pics are of the same log  notice the little triangle from where it broke off JMO 

ladylake

Over 32" here, those logs above sure are ugly.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ljmathias

Those logs may be ugly on the outside but could be stunning on the inside.  My son brought me a couple of 6-8' red oak trunks that were about 36" in diameter- so big I let them lay in the yard for over a year before I worked up enough courage to try to saw them: wow!  Once I got the bark and outer sapwood off, the interior made some of the best flooring blanks I've ever cut (not saying much since I haven't cut all that much yet).  Had them drying under the barn shed for almost two years now- just about ready to make some flooring for the "new house" I'm building on the farm.  Still have to decide how to lay that floor though- getting too much information on how to lay a wood floor on concrete slab.  Guess I'll figure it out...

Short of it all- I'd try cutting those big logs into lumber before I turn them into firewood.  You can ALWAYS burn it either as logs or starter sticks but you can't put it back together into a nice piece of 1" lumber after you cut it up.  Just my opinion.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

bandmiller2

Just had a brain phart,if your bound and determined to mill massive log on a bandmill,make a max. size caliper. Make it upside down U shaped ,legs to fit on ways with the sides the max width to the blade guides.Log on the mill set caliper on the ways you can see just what you have to trim off to clear.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Stephen1

Quote from: DRB on June 11, 2009, 01:06:23 AM
Is that 2 or three logs? the pic in the middle does not look like it belongs to either of the other logs and look like a cull to me.
The pic in the middle is the same log from the end showing the big branch cut off. If I take that off the log will measure 6'.
I will have to 1\4 of 1\2 cut them just to be able to move them on to the mill. it is an Silva craft for the early 90's with a 10 horse motor and only 20" between the guides.

Quote from: ljmathias on June 11, 2009, 07:10:21 AM

Short of it all- I'd try cutting those big logs into lumber before I turn them into firewood.  You can ALWAYS burn it either as logs or starter sticks but you can't put it back together into a nice piece of 1" lumber after you cut it up.  Just my opinion.

Lj
I like that way of thinking. I think this will be my next project, what have I got to loose except my time. it sure will be a challenge. I will post the pics as I go .
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

nas

This about maxes out my mill 8) 8) 32"x10' hard maple :o

This is how I turn it.  A couple of wraps with the cable and winch it around. 8)

Stephen, send me a pm and I might be able to give you a hand with those :)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

ARKANSAWYER

Well since I have not found that log yet I do not know.  There have been many that I have had to chunck to get them on the mill but on they went.   For production  I like 18 to 24 inch logs to really crank out some footage.  After that production slows down even with 20 inch boards.
  After about 20 ft in length production slows down again.  A 32 ft 8x12 has some footage but it takes a while to load and unload and there is lots of side wood to handle and long stuff is tuff to get a grip on.

ARKANSAWYER

backwoods sawyer

Is it to big? There are two limbs that are 48" one 8' one 12'. They are worth going after. The 8' trunk on the other hand can be quartered. About half will be lost due to rot and sawing. So the question is not is it to big, but rather is it worth milling. The tree is situated where getting heavy equipment to it is not an option so it will have to be milled in place.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

DRB

Well to me it would be to big but if you had a swinger and could get near it then it might be worth sawing.  That is one big tree and not being able to get heavy equipment to it would make me pass on it. If it was a walnut it would be a differant matter.

scsmith42

Can you get an equipment to it, such as a skid steer? 

A swing mill would probably be your best option, preferably with a slabber so that you can mill some extremely large boards.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!