iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pepper-box mill

Started by brdmkr, June 08, 2009, 10:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I have heard several of our retired sawyers and loggers in this area refer to a pepper box mill.  I had always assumed that this was maybe a PTO driven circle mill of some sorts, but now I am wondering.  Is this a commonly accepted term for a particular type mill or is it a local thing????
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Sprucegum

Never heard such a thing  ::) I am not local  :)  ;)

bandmiller2

Years ago their was quite a demand for box wood for crates and packaging products.Probibly Pepper was a local brand of mill for that specialized market.My shingle mill was set up to cut box wood for packaging fish in Maine.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Radar67

I read a small portion of a book today on google that referenced a pepper box sawmill. It was a small portable mill. The setting was in the 1920s. My search string was pepperbox sawmill and it was listed on the first page.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

brdmkr

OK, so it sounds like it could be BOTH a local name and a name brand. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Thank You Sponsors!