iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good ol IH 350 super broke down in the yard.

Started by Modat22, June 08, 2009, 09:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I think I posted a thread about saving a tractor from the salvage yard awhile back. Well she thru a throw out bearing yeaterday and is kinda stuck in the yard not moving etc.

Anyway, do any of you have any ideas on what I can use to support the front and rear of the tractor while breaking it apart to change the bearing, clutch pressure plate?

And the other trick is it has to be in the yard, I don't have any flat concrete areas to work on this beast.

Thanks
remember man that thy are dust.

Weekend_Sawyer

When we separated our H we blocked up the front half and the back half was balanced enough to roll out of the way. Don't know if the 350's are weighted the same or not.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

beenthere

Have no idea what you have to work with in the way of jury-rigging something up that will support and move.

Something wheeled or just something that will skid.
Or a platform (sheet of plywood) on the ground with a couple pieces of pipe under a wood framework supporting the end you want to "roll away". Many ways to go.

Do you have a tree overhead?
What other equipment might you have that can be used to help?

A picture would help.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Modat22

I have a boat load of 6x6's I cut last year. No trees, no equipment except a truck. I may try to use weekend_sawyers idea and put something big and heavy on the 3 point hitch to balance the rear half.

isawlogs

Alls you"d need is really only a few sheets of 3/4 plywood , drag/push/pull the tractor on it , and it will hold up the jack and front end , rear aint gonna be that heavy on hte jack . you dont need pukk it that far apart to get to the bearing a foot or so will let you have all the room yopu will need , more would be nice but not necessary .  Three sheets would be good enough . I would make finding the nuts and bolts that come off a whole bunch easier .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tree tech

The ply will do the trick, put a bottle jack at the rear of the clutch housing and some bearers just in case! Then a trolly jack with timber packer onto sump, cut timber wedges and drive them into gap that the axle can move or pivot in, chaulk rear wheels , spit tractor front away from rear, fit new parts , cut 2 studs and round head to screw into bell housing to line up the 2 casings, remember to hacksaw a slot and simply us a screwdriver to remove. When mating engine to g,box u may have 2 jag the starter to engage the splines, anything else jst ask, ive done 100  plus this way

Modat22

Thanks :) I was thinking that the rear would be much heaver. I'm feeling way better about getting this job done now.

Tree tech

If u are lining them up with studs, put the gearbox in a forward gear and make sure ur pull stop is out! Cross the starter - but just jag it, it will engage the shafts ! Jon

Slabs

I like to use a big screwdriver against one of the aligning studs and into the flywheel geat teeth to align the splines.  Take care to fix the front half so it doesn't  teeter about the front axel pivot.  A flat oil pan helps.  The rear half being rigid won't teeter.  I move the rear half of Ole Red for that reason and hand-rolling the 38 inch wheels is a possibility when I'm by myself.

Good luck
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!