iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My son is alive and (almost) well

Started by David Freed, June 07, 2009, 08:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Freed

Our son has been in Iraq for a few months now. He was told to call my wife Friday afternoon so we would not start hearing rumors. He started the conversation by telling her 2 or 3 times that he was ok. He was on patrol several hours earlier with some other guys (I don't know all the right terms) scanning the rooftops for snipers when he (thought) someone hit him on the head. He said it felt like someone took a big hammer and hit him hard. He first thought one of the guys was goofing around and he was mad. He turned around and nobody was close to him. That's when he realized he had just been shot. There was no cover around so he dropped to the ground and yelled that he was hit. Two came to help him and the rest scattered trying to find the shooter. We missed a call from him last night, but we did find out he is in a hospital for observation and he still has a headache. His helmet took about 99% of the hit and he only has a chunk of skin missing from the top of his head.

We are still waiting for more details, but he said that they do know that the enemy was filming the hit. He is hoping he will get to see himself get shot.  :D

He had quit going to church a few years ago when his best fiend was killed in an accident. He told my wife that he knew God had saved his life. I believe that too. This has made him start doing a lot of serious thinking. It sounds like this may be a turning point in his life.

Fla._Deadheader

That's just a bit too close  :o :o  Glad to hear he is OK, and still has a sense of humor. Hoping he makes it back to the world, safe and sound. Say HEY from the FF.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

zopi

Glad he is ok....Thank you all for the sacrifices you make.

I know getting shot at is no fun...getting shot certainly cannot be an improvement.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DanG

Holy Moly!!  That's entirely too close!  Sure glad he came out of that with minimal damage.  He'll have a good story to tell his Grandkids now.

Tell him THANKS for all of us, ok?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

chucker

good to know your son is fine and well!! our prayers too all our great men and women on the line for us!! "GOD BLESS THEM ALL"
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Stephen1

Wow, so glad that he is able to tell the story. There is a time and a reason for everything.
Same, tell him thanks from this side.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WH_Conley

Bill

SPIKER

I think he will have to keep a hold of that helmet for ever now.   :)  IF they will not keep it to show the new troops that keeping them on WILL save their lives...   Back in military I was in A.F. so didn't normally have to wear a helmet, we did however get to go on a live fire exercise with the army & had to wear them, there were several DAMAGED helmets that had names & dates of people saved going back to WWI in a local army shadow box display case.   :o

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

ellmoe

You both have been blessed. Thank your son for his service from the FF.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Chico

Glad he's is OK thank him for the sacrifices He makes hopefully he'll be home soon and with his family
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Faron

Thank God   Thanks also to whoever designed and built that helmet.  And thanks to your son for looking out for us.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Tim/South

First, I am glad your son is alright. Any gunshot you can walk away from is a good thing.
Second, I want to tell you how proud I am of our soldiers. This is a war none of us wanted. Yet our young men and women, our nations children, leave home to protect us (and the world) from the dangers our government sees.

I am not sure how I would react if I got a call that my son had been shot in the head.
I did not know there were bullet proof helmets.
May God Bless your son and all of America's youth who are following orders and keeping this world safe.

wi woodcutter

YIKES! That is a little to close! I am glad to hear he is all right.

Tell him that if he sees my sister over there to say hello. ;D
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Captain

Be sure to thank your son for his service from all of us here on the Forestry Forum.  I went to a Pizzaria Uno last night and they have a "Pizza for Patriots" program.  The waitress explained that the CEO of Unos was going to Iraq/Afganastan and the $4 donation (was going toward a goodwill gift for the troops).  You also get a coupon discount book in return. Would you like to buy one she asked.  Nope, I replied.  (pause for effect)  I'll take three.

Captain

breederman

Holy Crap! God bless him and all our troops.
Together we got this !

Patty

Thank your lucky stars he is ok. God Bless him and all our children put in harms way through war. We owe them our freedom.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

rbhunter

I have to say to tell him thanks for his service for our freedom.

Also Thank God that he is alive and also that he now realizes there is a God again.

Randy
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Slabs

We are all blessed by his survival and I pray that we continue the good fortune until we are blessed with a world of peace.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

IMERC

here's pullin' for your son...

glad he's okay...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

thecfarm

Glad your son is OK.I want to thank him for doing a job that many do not think is necessary.He is very lucky to have survived a hit like that. He is in my prayers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ksu_chainsaw

Thankfully he is alright.  There is nothing worse than snipers for the morale of the unit.

Keep us informed on how he is pulling through

The new Kevlar helmets (ACH) are a lot lighter and thicker than the older style Kevlar helmets, and have LOTS more protection than the old steel pots from the Vietnam era.

SSG Wist
Army National Guard

old joe

Glad your boy is ok.  I remember the old steel helmets.  Heavy and hot.  I understand the new ones are lighter and hot.  Hated to wear them, but glad I did.  Bet your boy is glad he did too!!

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

scsmith42

Wow - that's a bit too close for comfort...

Please let him know that we're proud of him and grateful for his service to our country.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ron Scott

That's too close! Appreciate those quality helmets.
~Ron

David Freed

Sorry for my slow reply. My computer went kaput not too long after I made my original post. (It's toast. >:() My son is doing fine. The higher ups wanted his helmet to study it, but he is supposed to get it back. He has his new helmet, but it will be a few days before he can wear it. Thank you all for your replies.

Thank You Sponsors!