iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

D-Day

Started by Dan_Shade, June 06, 2009, 10:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day.

In one day, the US, British, and Canadian forces broke through fortifications that Hitler had spent 4 years and massive resources to create.

Allied forces suffered 10,000 casualties, but the troops were now in place to defeat Germany and end the war.

I hope we never forget what those men did for all of us.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Chico

Thanks to those who sacrificed then and those whose sacrifice now  Thats why we're free
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

beenthere

Will not forget, and we owe it to our children and grand children, that they know what sacrifice was made as well.

Recently saw a documentary on the rise and fall of Hitler. Pretty frightful times for the people under that man and his rule. Anyone found to disagree, was gone.

Thanks for the reminder.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I listened to a recorded account on Friday made by a CBC news correspondent that landed with the 14,000 Canadian troops on Juno Beach, 10,000 sailors and 450 parachuters/gliders. The only group that achieved all their objectives that day. About 1000 were killed or wounded the first day. The beach was taken in two hours. Kinda chokes ya up.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

A Lot of planing went into that terrible day. That's a lot of people at one place. It's too bad that things like that have to be done. But glad to see it being done to keep the world a great place to live. There is a special place for men like that that have lost their lifes for us.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

It was said yesterday on the history channel that D-day was the greatest accomplishment of the greatest generation. Hard to argue that.

My Uncle Bernie Jarvis climbed the cliffs on D-day with the Rangers. He was killed 2 days later in Igsigny by a sniper.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

dgdrls

We've come to the 76th Anniversary today.  I thought it was important to honor the day and share some findings

I learned today about the German battery at Maisy which was between the Utah and Omaha beach sites.
The battery was heavily armed with 155mm and 105mm canons and they raised heck during the landings.
The story is a British historian found a map in the pocket of a US soldiers uniform he purchased.  The map indicated
an "area of high resistance"   Seems the site was literally buried and left to be overgrown and lost until it was rediscovered in 2004.  You can find Maisy on the second map

thecfarm

Thank you for bringing this up. I have not been well and had forgot about This Day. I feel bad now. This is and was a very important day.
Thank you to the ones that was there on that terrible day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yes, it was an horrific day for the fight for freedom. Lost some relatives and others that were scarred mentally. Grandfather couldn't serve because of ulcers and his brother was essential on the rail road. But 4 of their cousins (brothers) went, 2 came back.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SawyerTed

May we always remember the human sacrifice of D-Day and so many large and small battles in WWII!  The soldiers, aviators and sailors changed history that day.  

It was that war that brought home veterans who changed our communities by building fire departments, libraries, youth organizations, roads, bridges, the electric grid and so many other public and private works to make our lives better.  The Peace Dividend was used wisely because there was a profound understanding of what it took to get there.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

gspren

My dad and 2 of his brothers served in WW2 as did moms brother and both of dads sisters married veterans so growing up I had many veterans to look up to and hear stories from, no wonder that my brother and I along with several cousins are VietNam era vets. I really miss that the local VFW is closed right now as we would have had a ceremony. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sawguy21

My dad served with the RCAF, he didn't see combat duty but still never talked about it. I think he lost too many friends and relatives. Many of us grew up with the sons and daughters of veterans and saw the emotional scars of living in abusive households. One of my close friends and a number of his siblings have never gotten over it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

samandothers

An amazing operation and an amazing generation of young men to pull it off. 

farmfromkansas

Looks like we were fortunate that Hitler was having trouble sleeping, and no one had the nerve to wake him up the morning of D Day. My dad farmed, did not go, my mom had a nephew the same age as her, and he survived the war as a tail gunner on a B 17, then got killed soon after making it home. Had a neighbor everybody called "Stork".  He was tall, and died some years ago, I noticed his grave at the cemetery, he made it to Colonel during WW2, made it home and died of old age.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

sawguy21

Apparently Hitler and senior officials were so wired on drug cocktails by that time they didn't know what day it was and had no clue what was going on. Combine that with some inept leadership in the field they got caught offguard by the speed of the invasion. I just learned a great uncle is buried there, his widow never talked about it so we don't know much.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JohnW

Even a week later the Germans were not totally convinced that the allies were not going to land on Calais with the real invasion.

Thank You Sponsors!