iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

String trimmers

Started by Night Raider, June 06, 2009, 08:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Raider

I'm looking for a string trimmer just for use around the house, does anyone have experience with Stihl's line.  It won't get used a ton but I want it to work when I want it to, I'm happy with my ms361 but I don't need a pro string trimmer just one that cuts grass around fences, the FS38 is $149 but maybe it's worth spending a bit more? 
Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks

tyb525

I just get the square string from the local hardware, it's translucent orange, and seems to last. We have an older, bigger stihl, not sure what model. It is good for thick brush. Otherwise, we use a smaller mcculloh, which works well in grass and light weeds, despite the fact that it is less powerful. We use the thickest string we can fit in it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

D._Frederick

Check the Shindiawa line of power equipment, there string trimmers have a lot of ZIP and are trouble free.

John Bartley

Quote from: Night Raider on June 06, 2009, 08:21:42 AM
I'm looking for a string trimmer just for use around the house, does anyone have experience with Stihl's line.  It won't get used a ton but I want it to work when I want it to, I'm happy with my ms361 but I don't need a pro string trimmer just one that cuts grass around fences, the FS38 is $149 but maybe it's worth spending a bit more? 
Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks

The more versatile and more vibration-free trimmer will be the straight shaft trimmer. The straight shaft gets under bushes and decks more easily, is easier on the back and will take some of the lighter duty blades. It's been a few years since I sold my small engine shop (I was a Stihl dealer for many years), but the bottom end model that I remember was the FS55. It was an excellent little unit and almost trouble free.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

wi woodcutter

I have a FS55 it is a great little trimmer. Like my other Stihl equipment I never have any problems with it. I think I paid $199.99 for it.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

SwampDonkey

I have a MTD Yard Man 490 and it has worked fine. I paid $99 at Walmart. However, today I ruined the housing for the spool. The spool nut was stuck on there hard and I tried to turn it off with vise grips. Wrong idea I stripped the plastic housing that is molded for a nut on the shaft. I should have used the impact wrench, which I did later and it came right off with a quick touch of the trigger. Anyway I see the part for $14 in SC, I also looked at getting a new spool and nut, that all totaled up to $33, then UPS for $22 I think. So I gotta get it in town at the service centre, I bet it ain't no $55 bucks. I've used that hexagon cross-sectioned string and it don't last as good as the round stuff, chews the hex up like spagetti. The round lasts a long time in mine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

I bought a little homelite last year at the despot for around $100. It worked good until my future SIL got ahold of it and decided he could "fix it so it worked better". Lindy bought a new cub cadet just the other day for around $150 from TSC. We'll see how long it lasts. She says it works good. I haven't seen it yet.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Was that $150 cub cadet off the toy shelf?   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jasperfield

I have a FS55 and a 88. Both Stihl. They cut really well and without much vibration. You can also use metal brush blades with them.

If I had to replace either I'd replace with the same model.

LeeB

I dunno what shelf she got it off of. I wernt there.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Sorry LeeB
I was on a different track (happens !!), and was thinking cub cadet lawn tractor, not string trimmer. Was thinking you misplaced a zero, thus my comment. Out a line..and didn't know cub cadet had their name on string trimmers. Ya learn somethin every day here.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

I dunno about that either. There's no telling what she bought. I find out Friday whaen I get pardoned, er when I finish my hitch at work.

CLL

All we ever used on the horse farm I managed was Stihl, their almost bullet proof. Our biggest one was like a back pack and it used huge string and would eat you up if you got into some gravel. Most where smaller, like for home use and they lasted two-three years doing 5 miles of board fence.
Too much work-not enough pay.

ScottAR

We've got an FS44 stihl.... I think the Fs55 replaced it...
It's been a trooper. Straight shaft is the only way to fly if your
over about 4ft 10in tall.  Much more natural. 

The old 44 is getting a little weaker than it used to be and has
a few minor problems.  I'm looking to replace it and watch
this thread as well. 

Not to hijack.... Anyone have opinions on the Kombi-system?
I'd like a chainsaw on a stick as well. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

tonto

My wife bought me the Kombi KM110 with the pole saw and string trimmer attachments for my birthday. Absolutely love it, look forward to adding attachments to it. New engine has plenty of power. A little pricey but excellent quality. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

wi woodcutter

Quote from: tonto on June 07, 2009, 10:52:10 AM
My wife bought me the Kombi KM110 with the pole saw and string trimmer attachments for my birthday. Absolutely love it, look forward to adding attachments to it. New engine has plenty of power. A little pricey but excellent quality. Tonto.

That is good to know, I think next weekend I am going to pickup a Kombi KM110. I want the string trimmer, pole saw and the tiller attachments. I'll let you all know how I like it. ;D
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

John Bartley

I have the FS110. I bought the first one into my dealership when they came out and I LOVE it!! As soon as they came out with the Kombi system, I swapped the full length drive tube for the half length tube and then bought the saw blade head kit, chainsaw, rototiller, and dethacher (the dethatcher is for the MM55, but I was able to make it work... :D). It's a great set-up.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

ksu_chainsaw

I like the Stihl chainsaws but their trimmers leave a little to be desired IMHO.  I prefer the RedMAX line and the prices are slightly lowere than the Stihls for the same size engine.  Just make sure whatever trimmer you get has the straight shaft and a loop on it for a harness- your arms and back will thank you at the end of the day. 

The first time I pulled the RedMAX out of the barn this spring, all I had to do was dump out the old gas, blow out the air filter, refill it with fresh mix, and give it 2 pulls, and it started right up.

Charles

SwampDonkey

Checked the parts centre here in town. The parts I listed cost about $35, will be in in a week.  8)  Mine's a curved shaft, has no clutch, works fine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

I have a echo pro model which I'm not very happy with. Several case leaks that I have to constantly tighten, plus the string holder has had to be replaced 3 times. Poor design in my opinion.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ErikC

I have a Stihl FS250, with bike handles. It's a string trimmer/medium duty brushcutter I guess. I think it was about 500 bucks, but I was buying a $150 model every other year anyway. Not much gets in its way, and with the harness I find it easy to run. I don't have to push it at all to cut anything you can cut with string, so it should last a while. It does a good job with the blade too, and it seems heavy duty enough to take it.  Started on the 2nd or 3rd pull after all winter, this will be it's 3rd summer, and I use it a lot.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Modat22

I have an echo straight shaft trimmer that I believe is almost part exchangable for the stihl line (not completely sure though). Been a great weed wacker over the years (5 years). Only Modification I did was to drill the string hole out a little so I could use the 1.0 line
remember man that thy are dust.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Modat22 on June 09, 2009, 11:14:51 AM
I have an echo straight shaft trimmer that I believe is almost part exchangable for the stihl line (not completely sure though). Been a great weed wacker over the years (5 years). Only Modification I did was to drill the string hole out a little so I could use the 1.0 line

Well that figures, if theres a lemon out there I'll get it. ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

John Woodworth

I've had my Stihl for 15 plus years without a problem, have cultivator and hedge pruner attachments with it and has run flawlessly every time. I wouldn't ever concider any other brand, had a Shindawa oonce and was the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen and gave it away when less than a year old.

Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

SamB

Bought my first string trimmer in the late seventy's, it was an Echo brand straight shaft. Ran well once you got it started but could be a little stubborn to get going. It finally gave out about 86 probably the ignition module, there was no spark. Didn't get it fixed, gave it away, since I'd inherited a Green Machine brand straight shaft. Ran the Green Machine until about 95 when it gave up, it was a lot like the Echo in that it ran well after it initially started. Next was a Shindaiwa straight shaft ran well and started easy thanks to a primer bulb in the fuel line. It died last summer, no spark, went to price an ignition module and get a second opinion on the diagnosis. This was at the dealer where I purchased it, he said he'd take it on a trade in for a new one. Thus he knocked off $75 on a new $300 trimmer and I'm on my second Shindaiwa. So far it has been a good machine I used it for five hours today and I didn't finish all my trimming, just to give you an idea of how much it's used. I wanted to try a Stilh this time, but couldn't turn down the deal on the Shindaiwa. IMO you get what you pay for the upper end machines are engineered to run a little longer and take a little more abuse. If you're as good as I am at finding yellow jacket nest and snakes you probably want to get one with straight shaft. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!