iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oh theres a WINDOW for white pine management

Started by Splinter, June 04, 2009, 09:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splinter

Looks like nature has decided white which pines are gonna populate my woodlot, cause I failed to make the choice.
Seems like the 10-14" knobby weeviled ones are darwins favorites :-[

Was in there today putting up sugaring wood. A few decent pine left for crop trees, but a little dissapointing.

The white oak poles in that area looking are spectacular though.

D

Ron Wenrich

Actually, there's a window on most management schemes.  You reach a point where your reproduction needs to be released by removing the overstory.  If you don't, then they'll just sit in the understory looking like nice poles and become stagnant.  Then they'll get diseased because of overcrowding on the site or other stress factors. 

My observations have been that most people miss those windows and natural selection takes over. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Meadows Miller

Gday

I deal with alot off unthinned plantations that realy should have been thinned 10 to 20 years ago  ::) some of the owners would like to do thinnings but most of the time its better to just fall it all and start again  ;) i have one large 110 acre block that we are thinning the rougher wood out off and i see myself getting some dang nice tight growth timber out off down the track but we are seen some nice sawlogs out of the thinnings  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) but blocs like this one that have 90% good form in em are few n far between  :o :) ::)
Like Ron said Natural slection rules once the windows being missed and you cant wind back the clock in most cases  ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Splinter

There is good news in this, its a lesson learned in time for much of the woodlot. The pines are in an area that must have been just barely too small to take when logged 30 years ago. Lots of places left where there are good options left for both pine and hardwoods.

In general would you say that pine or hardwood stand are more forgiving for a later crop tree release?
My untrained eye sees fairly rapid loss of vigor in the crowded pines, but the hardwoods look good even with a small crown especially the oak.

Thank You Sponsors!