iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New 270/310, or 260/361??????

Started by flapjack23, June 04, 2009, 04:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flapjack23

Been lurking for a while, got lots of good info. Looking to upgrade to quality saw from 15+ yo broken Craftsman. I've decidedservicing  on Stihl. Have a dealer in town (4 miles). I've talked to him a few times is honest and likes to talk about saws. I looked into Husky and Johnsred, only big box for the husky and closest JR dealer getting out of saws.

I don't do huge amounts of cutting, but I want quality product that will last me and suit my needs. I will be cutting firewood to burn around the house (campfire), camping trips, and I hunt on a large section that we heat with wood. Memorial Day weekend we took down and cut up 9 trees between our property and the neighbors. Mostly smaller trees 18"-20" but we have some larger oaks standing dead we will cut eventually. My mom has a bunch to take down (ash borer) and my in-laws have about 30 dead ash too. Might end up with a outside wood stove if they keep raising electric rates like they are now too.

I don't mind paying extra if I'm going to get the quality to match, which has me looking at 2 pro saws (MS 260 pro and MS 361) or the mid range line (MS 270 and MS 310). The 310 or 361 would get 20" bar and the 260 or 270 would get 18". Eventually, I'd like to have a smaller and a larger saw 16" and 20"-25" or so. would like to end up with the 270/310 combo or the 260/361 combo. I do like the ability to put a 25" bar on the 361.

I saw a previous post with the differences between the const of the lines. Is the pro series (260/361) worth the extra premium I'd pay over the mid range combo (270/310)? I can only afford one saw now and will be either the 260 or 310 with the other in a few years. How about the RPM of both line. Does the Pro line run higher RPM or is it the same between lines? Any advice or comments would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll have many other questions to follow.

Thanks,
Andy
Stihl MS361

Cope

IF it were me I would spend the extra cash and get the 361 given your choices and description of intended use.  I base that advise on the fact that I have a 360 Pro, although it has several key differences its really close in power and weight to the 361.  For 18-20" trees and your bigger oaks the 361 will have sufficient power and it won't be too heavy when used on the smaller stuff.  It should also provide reliable service for years to come.

nmurph

since the OP said it will be "either the 260 or 310" i will say to get the 310, based on the size of the trees mentioned.

a 260/361 is a nice combo, but honestly, i think i would strongly recommend more of the 260/and a 70cc combo. the 260 is not enough saw for trees much over 12". it will cut them, but you will have to have a lighter touch. it is nice for limbing and 8-10" trees.
the 361 is nice for trees up to 20". and though a 361 will certainly handle largers trees, there are better saws for trees above this size. it is a great saw for the one-saw plan. if you are going with more than one saw, there are better saws to put in the combination.
another way to look at it is to buy either the 310 or 361, then in a couple of years you can sell them for 80% of new and buy a smaller and a larger saw.

one other suggestion is to look at Dolmar's 7900. it is the same weight as the 310 (and the husky 372), but will soundly stomp a 361 (6.3 vs. 4.4hp) into the sawdust, and it will pull a 32" bar. then you can add the 260 or a husky 346 for a well balanced combo.

smith2bj

I would have to agree with mmurph.  The 361 is a nice saw but any hard wood the 20'' bar is the largest you would want on it.  The 361 and 260 and to close of saws and think that you should look at a larger one like 70cc to 80cc class and then something like the 260 or look for something in the 40cc range.  The best thing to look for in the saw that you find a dealer that will support you.  I just bought the 361 and really like it but after using it on some bigger 30" pluss trees I wish I had a bigger saw. ;D

John Mc

I think your decision depends on how much cutting you'll be doing, and how much of that will be larger diameters (20"+). If I had to go with one saw from what you describe, it would be the 361. Built to last. Light enough to lug around all day (when you are a weekend warrior, like me, you really notice an extra pound or two of saw if you're using it for very long). It will handle the bigger trees, but you may have to be a bit more patient. Normally, I agree the 20" bar is the most you'd want on it for cutting hardwoods. However, if you are not doing this professionally, you can afford taking a little bit longer on the big stuff, rather than buying a bigger saw right away.

In short, the 361 is a good "all around saw" if you are trying to get by with one saw for now.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Cope

Quote from: John Mc on June 05, 2009, 04:09:44 PM

In short, the 361 is a good "all around saw" if you are trying to get by with one saw for now.

He said that he doesn't do a lot of cutting so that's why I was thinking get one saw, the 361.  Why buy two if you don't use them very often?  Unless you just want more saws and there is nothing wrong with that.  Anyway, I agree with the above.  The 361 would be a great saw if you are only going to have one saw in the near future.

flapjack23

I'd for sure have to start with 1 saw. I think I like the 361 size both weight and bar size. I  think I'm leaning towards the pro series vs the mid range. I too am a weekend warrior, but have some work standing with the ash borer in this area. Have a Husky 570 waiting for me tomorrow (borrowed) since I don't have my own saw yet. Thanks for the input so far. Hope I have the $ this month to make the purchase.

Andy
Stihl MS361

TessiersFarm

Cant go wrong with a 361, I have two and they are hard to beat.  I also have an 026 and use it a lot around the farm for brush and fence posts ect.  I never use the 026 when cutting trees or firewood so I don't think you will use that one as much.  I also have a 045 which is awsome for just bucking wood.  I would lean towards a bigger than 361 not smaller if you are looking for another saw but there isn't much a 361 won't do.  I fell, limb, skid and cut 40 to 50 cords a year as well as saw logs and use the 361 more than both others put together.  One of them (actually a 036) is 15 years old and has never had any major work done to it.  Good luck.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

sbhooper

Having used both the 361 and the 260, I would definitely buy the 361 if you want only one saw.  The 260 is a great little saw for limbing and small trees,  but it lacks for larger stuff.  Depending on dealer support, you cannot go wrong with the Husky line either.  If you are not concerned with cutting time, the 361 with a 20" bar will do anything you need of it. I tend to think  that if you are going with two saws, go with a 50 cc saw and then step up to a 70 cc saw for your big stuff.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

656 International w/grapple
Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

SawTroll

Quote from: Cope on June 04, 2009, 09:04:10 PM
IF it were me I would spend the extra cash and get the 361 given your choices and description of intended use.  I base that advise on the fact that I have a 360 Pro, although it has several key differences its really close in power and weight to the 361.  For 18-20" trees and your bigger oaks the 361 will have sufficient power and it won't be too heavy when used on the smaller stuff.  It should also provide reliable service for years to come.

I totally agree, a MS361 with a couple of different bars is the best saw to start with.    8) 8)

After using that one for some time, you will find out what you need in addition, if anything at all. 
Information collector.

Red 93 L1 #3383

I love my little MS310, it was a great investment & a huge improvement over my 42cc Craftsman.  I have an 18" bar on it and it works great.  If I could've afforded the MS361 & had I known about this site I would've have bought the MS361.  On a side note I'm no longer stuck to the one saw for all, I scored a pair of 064AV's, 20" , 25",  & 36" bars w/ several chains for each and a 020T ( which I still need to fix ) for free.  Both 064's needed some repairs ( about $120 worth combined ).  I love having a 84cc saw for the bigger stuff.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

mud

As others have mentioned previously.

If you are only going to have one saw then in the stihl lineup the 361 would be the way to go. However for a two saw plan you would be better off with a 50/70 cc combo. Which for stihl would mean a 260 and a 441.

On the 260 I really would recommend a 16 inch bar over the 18 inch. Yes you loose a small bit of reach but cutting performance will be greatly improved.

If you are serious about the two saw plan then I would say get the 441 now. Yep it is a bit on the heavy side for it being your only saw but it will handle anything that you can throw at it with the large selection of bar lengths that are available for it. I would personally start off with a 20 and a 25 inch bar.

Notice that I steared you to the pro saws. Their are two reasons for that. One is durability. They are built a bit better with better parts. Two is serviceability. Having torn down a bunch of pro saws with spilt magnesium cases and a few homeowner saws with the plastic clam shell case I can tell you that I will never EVER buy another saw with a plastic case. They are much harder to work on and the parts are a bit more expensive much of the time. Not really that big of a deal if you do your own work but if you have a tech do the work it can get to the point where your three or four hundred dollar saw is no longer worth fixing because between the extra parts cost and the higher labor bill to fix your saw will nearly equal the value of a new one with a warranty.

Just a quick look at the specs puts the 310 at 13 pounds and 4 hp while the 441 weighs in at 14.6 pounds and 5.5 hp with the 460 coming in at the same weight and 6 hp. For that matter now that I look at the specs I would go for the 460 if you could swing the cash.

and a few splitting mauls

John Mc

Is there much difference between a Stihl 260 and a "260 Pro"? They are both listed in the catalog as a pro chainsaw. Specs look identical. I assume there must be some difference in construction or other features? or is it really just that the pro has a decompression valve, and the straight 260 does not?

I've got a friend who is just getting into using a chainsaw. She's taken Game of Logging level 1, but is still very cautious, and only cuts when out with a more experienced friend. Looking for a lighter weight saw. She tried my Jonsered 2152 and liked it. I suggested that she also look at some in the Stihl line (probably 260/260 Pro) or Husqvarna (probably a 353). She's a lighter user (probably averages 3 cords of firewood per year, mostly from 12" or less DBH trees). She could probably get away with one of the homeowner saws, but wants to buy one to last. She also appreciates the lighter weight of some of the pro saws as compared to similar-powered homeowner saws. Cost is an issue, but she's leaning towards trying to find a used mid-level or pro grade saw, over buying a new homeowner saw. She's probably going to stick with these brands due to good dealer support in the area - other brands can be tough to find help on, and she's not able to work on them herself.

She does have access to friends with more experience and bigger saws in case she runs into something that's more than she or her saw can handle.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

nmurph

the 260 is no longer made. it is the 260 Pro only, now. the 260 Pro has a decomp (might be factor with a lady, though not usually not considered important in a 50cc saw) and an adjustable oiler.
i recommend she look at a husky 346. similar weight to the 260 but with a lot more stomp. it would be perfect for <12" trees. it is priced a little more than the 260 (~$500), but it is a more versatile saw.
another saw to consider would be the Dolmar 5100. still more power than the 346, but with a weight penalty of ~1lb. they have very nice, broad power band, and they can be bought for less than $400.

Rocky_J

oops, never mind. I made an error.

John Mc

Nmurph -

Thanks for the comments. I'm familiar with the 346XP. The newer version of that is certainly a nice saw. I probably would have ended up with one of those if I didn't already own a 2152 Jonsered (I know the 346 is a more saw, but unfortunately, still too close to what I already had in the 2152). I had though the 346 might be out of her price range, but I see that new it is only about 10 - 12% higher than the 353. The only question is are their any used 346 saws for sale in my area (especially in the newer 50cc version).

Dolmar may be out, since I've not seen any servicing dealers in our area.

John Mc

SawTroll

Quote from: John Mc on June 24, 2009, 11:24:12 PM
Nmurph -

Thanks for the comments. I'm familiar with the 346XP. The newer version of that is certainly a nice saw. I probably would have ended up with one of those if I didn't already own a 2152 Jonsered (I know the 346 is a more saw, but unfortunately, still too close to what I already had in the 2152). I had though the 346 might be out of her price range, but I see that new it is only about 10 - 12% higher than the 353. The only question is are their any used 346 saws for sale in my area (especially in the newer 50cc version).

Dolmar may be out, since I've not seen any servicing dealers in our area.

John Mc

Sell the 2152 to your friend, and get youself a 346xp - the power difference feels like more than the specs tell you, in actual use (I have both + a 5100S).

:) 8) 8)
Information collector.

John Mc

Quote from: SawTroll on July 01, 2009, 08:59:52 AM
Sell the 2152 to your friend, and get youself a 346xp - the power difference feels like more than the specs tell you, in actual use (I have both + a 5100S).

I'd love to do just that, but can't justify it for the amount of cutting I do. I also already own a 357xp, which I bought used. If i didn't already have the 357, springing for the 346 might make more sense.

John Mc

SawTroll

Quote from: John Mc on July 01, 2009, 11:08:27 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on July 01, 2009, 08:59:52 AM

I'd love to do just that, but can't justify it for the amount of cutting I do. I also already own a 357xp, which I bought used. If i didn't already have the 357, springing for the 346 might make more sense.

John Mc
:)Yes, sure!
Information collector.

flapjack23

Well, I pulled the trigger on the MS361. It will be my only saw for a while. Cuts better than anything I have used before. I'll have to see what I need in the future (bigger I hope).
Stihl MS361

beenthere

flapjack23
Good move, in my opinion.  :)

Hope you like it as well as I like mine.

20" bar?

One feature that puzzled me at first, was a result of the anti-vib in the MS361. I had almost 30 years (and good) experience running my Stihl 041 with 20" bar (get good vibes with that saw  :) ). When running the new one, I found myself forcing it into the cut. That didn't result in good, fast cutting. Then realized I was forcing the saw to try to find the vibration I was used to with the old saw when it was cutting good. With the new MS361, that vibration wasn't there.  :)

Once I realized that I wasn't going to get the same "feel" as the old saw, I quit forcing it.  Nothing but good results and very happy with the saw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

flapjack23

Yes, 20" bar and the dealer put the yellow chain on it, not the green low kickback one. I've only run cheaper smaller saws before (except a Husky 572 once). This one blows them all away. I'm sure I made the right choice and I didn't get into any big cutting yet, just a few "test logs"

Andy
Stihl MS361

Rocky_J

Congrats! The 361 is probably Stihl's best new saw model in the last couple years.

flapjack23

So everyone here was right on the money. The 361 is plenty for most of my saw needs, felling and limbing everything I have to now. If I need another saw (I hope I do) it will be bigger, 460 maybe?
Stihl MS361

Thank You Sponsors!