iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

for our Aussie friends down under

Started by Mike_Barcaskey, June 04, 2009, 06:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Barcaskey

how is the bunya-bunya tree for firewood?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Meadows Miller

Gday Mike

Ill bite Mate  ;) :D I thought it was Hoop Pine (Bunya pine)  which are the common name's they go by down here but i googled it just to make sure  ;) ??? :P as it grows abit north of where im based  ;) :D and came up with this http://www.timber.net.au/species-revised/bunya-pine.html which will give you some specs Mate  ;)
Afew mills saw it up north in pretty impressive volumes it gets used alot in internal fittings linning ,furniture ,doors ect  ;)  i have cut one tree that came off the side of a Slash pine plantation in Qld when i was working up there once it got sawn into pallet timber like the rest Mate  ;) :D ;D

As for Firewood expect about the same preformance as say Pine ,Spruce and Firs when its dry  ;) If is got afew nice lengths in it it might pay to saw some boards outa it  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)
Good Luck  ;) ;D and watch out for those seeds the size of basket balls if its that line of the family   :o :o :)  ;) Mate

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sawmillsi

g'day mike,

bunya pine is from the east coast of australia, in the bunya mountains north west of brisbane.

this tree is endemic to a small mountain range, but was spread by australian aborigonals during their walking (upto 60,000 years ago), which now accounts for the wide spread distribution along the east coast.

i would think that they make very ordinary firewood as it not very dense/heavy timber.

the timber is difficult to cut as it has a tendancy to have a knotty core. the knots are up to 3" diameter and are usually loose, which i have found rips the tungsten carbide tips off my sawblade and makes the bandsaw blade wander something feirce.

it is now one of the few native trees to be placed on exemption lists for tree preservation orders placed by local governments on the east coast. this is due to the very large and heavy seed pods (70 plus pounds growing up to 100 feet up is not usually made for a good garden trees, but very exciting).

out of interest, it is one of australias few coniferous species with only 3 native 'pines' growing in australia (hoop pine - cuminghamii, norfolk pine - phytophyllia and bunya pine - bidwillii). it has a cousin growing in south america, is called the monkey puzzle tree - not sure of the botanical name.

good luck

Mike_Barcaskey

thanks guys, one of my fellow members at ASCA was asking for firewood value. Seems this tree is quite common in California now and they are taking a few down.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

sawmillsi

mike, if someone offered me free firewood, deliveredto my home and stacked (free of course) i would take it.

u should mill some up, not bad timber.

Thank You Sponsors!