iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found a Pettibone 6000lb lift for $4000

Started by oakiemac, June 01, 2009, 07:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

I saw an ad for an older Pettibone telescopic lift. Lifts 33' high, 48" forks, 48x48 platform, 4x4, 4 wheel steer, runs good, 6 cylinder international in line gas engine. Machine is about 30 years old but supposedly everything works good.
Seems like a real good price but I'm not very familar with this types of lifts.
Anyone have experiece with them and what I should look at when I go vist this little gem?
I plan on using it to move logs and lumber around the yard and as a back up to the Bobcat. Right now I can only lift about 3500lbs so the extra capacity would be great plus I can lift a lot higher so unloading any log truck would be easyier.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Jeff

If its a Pettibone carry lift with the overhead lift arms, they are awkward as all get out as a round about mill loader. We had one for a few years at the first mill I worked at and found that there was a pretty steep curve on learning to maneuver in tight places, even with the 4 wheel steering. Maybe I should say, because of the 4 wheel steering. Only one guy ran it well, but it was his full time job and he still disliked it. The loader also had side to side leveling for uneven ground opperation. With the 4 wheel oblique steering, and the side leveling, you could sure create some funny looking movements around the yard.

I suppose if you have wide open spaces and are not trying to use it much in a building you could get along pretty good with one, but my preference by a country mile is an articulating loader.  We had 7 W-14 case loaders when I left, at the last mill operation I worked. The boss kept buying them when he found a deal because they were the perfect loader for using in and around our mill.  We only needed 4 around to satisfy all our needs for working and having spares just in case.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

oakiemac

I have backed off on looking at this. Sounds like it might not be quite what Im looking for.
I agree with you Jeff, a wheeled loader would be the best.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ron Wenrich

I've run Pettibone Super 8, 10 and 20.  The 20 was a monster and could pick up 20,000 lbs.  The theory on that one was to lift off a whole tier of logs at one time.  It didn't work too well for that, but we could really load mulch with the bucket we made.

The Super 10 was used to unload trucks, and to put logs into the mill.  The Super 8 was for loading trucks and used around the mill.

I always liked the way the booms moved in and out.  You could pull your load back onto your frame and it would be a lot safer to drive around.  You could also reach in and pick things out from under a roof, or load trucks all from one side. 

But, I would want one with a baler for unloading or loading log trucks.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

johnjbc

Now you tell me. I just had one delivered today. Actually it has been at my brothers for a couple weeks. We put an exhaust manifold gasket and a new master cylinder on it and it still needs an emergency brake, and Choke cables, and a muffler.
I am building a pole barn and cabin, and it will work well for setting rafters and trusses.
My brother has one like it and it works fine if you have room to run it.  The 4 new tires are worth at least ½ of what it cost.

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Jeff

Ours was bigger then that one with an enclosed cab.  Looking closer, maybe it wasnt bigger, just looked bigger with the cab enclosed.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sawyerfortyish

Can you even get parts for pettibone today?

logwalker

Does that one pictured have telescopic. The one he was interested does. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Ron Wenrich

What do you mean by telescopic?

All the super models of Pettibone that I have seen allows for their forks to move back and forth with the top boom.  John's also looks like the forks can move further up with the hydraulic cylinder on the front.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

dewwood

Oakiemac,

I think the Pettybone would work but they are cumbersome.  I found an older telescopic boom forklift which has worked very well.  It is 4 wheel or 2 wheel drive which allows me to use it out in the log yard for unloading trucks and handling logs but it will maneuver in the storage barn to move lumber around.  The telescopic boom is nice when sorting stacks of lumber because you can reach over a stack or two to pick something off of a stack which is buried without moving all of the other stacks in front.  I know Bibbyman likes his and I would sure recommend one if you could find it.  They might be a little more money but I think in the long run you would be much happier.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Meadows Miller

Quote from: johnjbc on June 02, 2009, 05:46:18 PM
Now you tell me. I just had one delivered today. Actually it has been at my brothers for a couple weeks. We put an exhaust manifold gasket and a new master cylinder on it and it still needs an emergency brake, and Choke cables, and a muffler.
I am building a pole barn and cabin, and it will work well for setting rafters and trusses.
My brother has one like it and it works fine if you have room to run it.  The 4 new tires are worth at least ½ of what it cost.

John if you ever get sick of yours Mate Ill pay the freight and Ill make it vanish  ;) :D  :D :D ;D Its hard to get anything deacent under 20 odd k here the ceapst ive seen is an old rws Michigan 75 and an 125 loaders and they where still 7 and 12 k each a blokes got a Pettibone 10 for 35 k and it needs a little work Patricks are a good buy down here iff you can find em  ;) Like Jeff said Artic Wheel loaders are the go down here also Cats Volvos & Cases mainly

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

oakiemac

I think the one I was going to look at is like the pictured above. At first I thought it was a telescopic boom but now I don't think so.
It would be nice to have but I'm going to half to hold off for now.

johnjbc

I have been watching telescoping lifts on EBAY and they start at 20k and go up fast. Couldn't justify that for my use.  This one does reach out about 15 feet for loading my trailer and I don't need to run it in a building. And it was afordable

Between rain showers yesterday I got a chance to play with the new toy and took some pictures of how it works.
The first one is of the turning radius. Turned the wheel hard left and made a circle, when I got back to the start I engaged the rear steer and did it again. The 2 tracks on the right are with 2 wheel steer. With inner circle is 16 feet and it is 8 ft. wide so I need 32 ft. to do a circle.

One of the things I need to do is to load heavy items in the barn attic. Now I can put them on the roof if I want.   

I need to work on the yard light. Before I had to set my 24 ft. ladder on the hay wagon to reach it.

Now I need to come up with a design for a work platform, and the biggest job will be to  train my wife to lift me up.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Papa1stuff

Better be nice to Wife if she is going to lift you that high ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Stephen1

Hey john , nice looking tool  um tool I mean, better be nice to the wife ifn your gonna go for a ride up that high. :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!