iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best 6hp class saw? (80cc or 14-15lbs)

Started by weimedog, June 01, 2009, 05:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Oh now a pound or two wouldn't make any difference .Good heavens I'm a old coot and it doesn't bother me one bit . :D

I heard some of those guys at the GTG's complaining an 038 weighed a ton .Evidently they  weren't  around in the days of the 30 pounders . 8)

Cut4fun

I will vouch trying to lift a 084 over my head and waist high did get old real quick with a 30" bar.  Lesson learned when homeowner friend calls and stated bring big saw for big wood in storm damage clean up.

Anything under 066 weight and down is nothing IMO unless you are hauling it in the woods for 8-10 hours on a hill. Homeowner use and a few hours a day one should be able to throw weight out the window and be a non issue. 

SawTroll

Quote from: Cut4fun on July 12, 2009, 04:48:53 PM
I dont know how much the bar clutch cover and bar nuts weigh on the 7900. But if you look at their advertised PHO weight it was minus those items, while the 681 included those parts in their PHO weight. I have ran both at the gtg's in Ohio and ready to use weight felt close if not the same.

I wished I would have weighed both at the Racesaws GTG now to just had some fun with the pics for you  ;).  Take care Sawtroll.

Not a bathroom scale the next time, please!   :)
Information collector.

Cut4fun

Quote from: SawTroll on July 30, 2009, 03:05:02 PM
Quote from: Cut4fun on July 12, 2009, 04:48:53 PM
I dont know how much the bar clutch cover and bar nuts weigh on the 7900. But if you look at their advertised PHO weight it was minus those items, while the 681 included those parts in their PHO weight. I have ran both at the gtg's in Ohio and ready to use weight felt close if not the same.

I wished I would have weighed both at the Racesaws GTG now to just had some fun with the pics for you  ;).  Take care Sawtroll.

Not a bathroom scale the next time, please!   :)

Why not?  My bathroom scale weighs out all the way to the nearest ounces  :o. So as long as both saws are weighed on the same scale (AS USED FILLED UP) that weighs each ounce who cares  ::)

So Sawtroll have you even held a dolmar 7900 or a solo 681 yet or are you still using paper specs and other people opinions for your info  :P.  :D ;D :D Let alone ran one.  :)

Hey Sawtroll Find me one of your Jo-Bu 949 or 949S made for your Norway. I know it is just a Jonsered 490 with different stickers, but want one to ad to my 490 500 5000 5000+ 325 collection.
Also do you know the difference in the 949 and 949S? Open and closed cylinders maybe?

Have a good one Sawtroll and drink one of those fancy beers for me.

rebocardo

> anybody that didn't run an 066 Stihl to cut firewood with was out of their minds

FWIW: It was my favorite firewood saw, especially for ripping with the grain to split rounds, even though it was about 3 pounds heavier with the same type of 20" bar. Not to knock my Husky 365 (sold my last one) and 372.

John Mc

I can see the logic in comparing weights of saws as they are used in the woods (with bar, chain, fuel, and oil -- and clutch covers bar nuts, etc.)  However, there may be one wrinkle to this: that penalizes a saw for having larger fuel and oil tanks. Depending on the type of work you're doing, having a larger run time may be worth and extra few ounces (if it really bugs you, you could always not fill it all the way). Of course, if you start getting into run times between refueling, then you might also need to consider fuel efficiency... things start to get too complicated for an easy comparison.

For me, the weights are just a guideline. If it feels right for the job I'm doing, I'm happy. Since I'm not doing a lot of large trees, I tend to stay in the smaller end of the saw size range.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Cut4fun

That post of mine was just for funnin with the troll. 

The 681 is weighed PHO with the bar cover off too. People get to wrapped up in weights IMHO. 

Go lift some of them old saws Al has or the 166's Holy Crap are they heavy compared to a 084.

Do you think the men of yester-year whined like todays men  ;) :D.

Heck I was using a like new 290 I gave my dad yesterday to limb and buck up ice damaged trees across the lanes made for 4wheelers going through my land  to hunting stands.  It did the job just fine with some super fast cutting .325 RSC made into RSLK. Did feel the 13lb PHO weight when lifted completely overhead. But that was what the little mini mac was for on hand too.  yes I could have picked a bunch of saws that was lighter by a pound or two, but it didnt really matter as long as the job at hand got done.

htpd43

Quote from: nhlogga on June 13, 2009, 03:04:58 PM
i don"t like stihls. i"ve heard good things about dolmar. don't know anything about solo. i'd recommend husky 385 or jonsered 2186 both the same saw. i'd say find a good dealer you got a good saw.

i couldnt figure out how to quote chucker's post too but i agree with both i own 5 jonsered saws and have run a 2186 - they are way underrated.  jonsered makes great saws - but that's just my opinion and my experience.
j'red -2137/2150/2054/625II/2165
stihl -011avt/026/056av magII
kubota L35/2 trailers/chevy 1500/ford350 dump
lindig log splitter & lots of other goodies

STIHLFULLSKIP

Quote from: weimedog on June 01, 2009, 05:44:31 PM
Did this at another place and wound up leaning towards a Dolmar 7900

What do you think?

Dolmar 7900
Stihl MS460
Solo 681

What ever you think in addition..
how does your 460 compare to the 7900? as far as power/durability/fit&fihish?

STIHLFULLSKIP

Quote from: Captain on June 02, 2009, 08:56:10 PM
I own a MS460 and a 7900.  The 7900 is the better saw as far as performance and feel.  I have no experience with the 681.

Captain
how does the 460 compare as far as durability/build quality? just curious what you think.

STIHLFULLSKIP

i just bought a 460 new,they are an impressive saw,but they are getting a little long in the tooth.i really wanted a 7900,but i have nothing in the way of dealer support within an hours drive.i do like the fact that dolmar lets you buy parts online. i wish stihl would do that.

gemniii

Quote from: Cut4fun on August 09, 2009, 12:22:56 PM

Do you think the men of yester-year whined like todays men  ;) :D.
The men of yester-year whined to one another over a drink at the bar.  Their whine was only heard by a few and thus only affected a few.
Today one whine can be shared  with thousands.

bandmiller2

Truth of the matter theirs not diddly squat differance between them, buy one of each and alternate them.The rest of you back to work we've wasted too much daylight already.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

gemniii

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 02, 2009, 10:35:22 PM
I have a MS 460 and I just love that saw.  But Stihl  is King around here.  I could not get either of the others you mentioned serviced, little less parts.  I have an 084 for the bigger stuff, and a tiny home owners 180 that gets a lot of use at the mill.  I have Stihl dealers all around me .  Get the one you can get worked on as they all will need service now and again.   ;)  Tim
I really kind of wanted to go with the Makita/Dolmar solution.
So I emailed Bailey's
QuoteI'm interested in getting one but am wondering what I would do for
support/repairs in NE Mississippi, where I plan on retiring in a year.
Are there any Makita chainsaw repair shops in that area?  Near Tupelo,
MS.
thanks
and got this response:
QuoteCasey Comer <casey@baileys-online.com> wrote:
tupelo hardware co
114 w main street
So I called up tupelo hardware - asked them if they repaired Makita chainsaws and got a definite "NO".

So - 461 or 660 here I come.

Plus less trust in Bailey's.

beenthere

Good info to know, but your comment sounds like an unfair shake for Bailey's.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocky_J

Yup, that would be the hardware store's mistake and not Bailey's. Casey simply took the time to look up the listed Makita/ Dolmar dealers in the area you requested instead of telling you to go to their website and look it up yourself. To blame Bailey's because Casey tried to do you a favor is not very nice.

Just reinforces my mantra- (deleted).  :-\

ladylake

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 02, 2009, 06:49:05 AM
Truth of the matter theirs not diddly squat differance between them, buy one of each and alternate them.The rest of you back to work we've wasted too much daylight already.Frank C.
Isn't that the truth, there are alot of well made saws out there. some might run good out of the box and some might need to be tuned and muff modded to pull good. Certain models might have a quirk that needs attention and other not. Almost every brand has good and bad saws, it's up to us to pick the good ones.  Then theres the EPA and Ethonal that can ruin even a good saw if not ajusted right.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Reddog

Well tell the hardware store they are listed as a repair place by Makita. ;)

Tupelo Hardware Co
114 W. Main St.
Tupelo, MS, 38804 (662) 842-4637   Outdoor Power Equipment   

Or chainsaws are not part of Outdoor Power Equipment? ???

GASoline71

Why are you bangin' on Bailey's for providing an addy to a store that listed theirself as a Makita service center.  Its the stores fault for not keeping Bailey's abreast of their capabilities...  you got your wires crossed mang...  ::)

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Pounce2181

Quote from: 01crewcab on July 11, 2009, 10:27:53 AM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 10, 2009, 06:11:23 PM
Welcome to the Forum, 01crewcab!

Have you tried a newer Stihl? They've changed in the last 30 years. :)
No Dave I haven't. I'm  just used to Huskys. In fact i just recently bought a 372XP with a 32' Oregon lightweight bar. For a complete left turn a guy I work with was mentioning he had a Echo 602vl that he was going to get rid of. $25.00. I said well I'd give you that. What a beast :). I now have to mix up some 20-1 fuel.
I took that same left turn awhile back picked up a John Deere 60v for 20.00, ditto on the beast part lol. The muffler on mine has seen better days as for a few other odds and ends, so I am in the market for parts and its not easy. I got it because it kinda took me back, my grandfather had a similar echo not sure what it was.
As for the mix I have just been using what I already have mixed which has usually been 50:1, burn alot cleaner. and cylinder still looks great.

Captain

Sorry about the tardy reply, stihlfullskip.  I would rate the fit/finish/quality equivalent, and the balance/performance/feel to the 7900.  Certainly the price is also attractive.

Captain

Pounce2181

Anyone know of any good online Dolmar dealers? Where you can actually purchase the saw online? I looked some didn't find anything. Dealers for them is far and few around here.

Cut4fun

There is. But I dont think you will see it posted in the open anymore. Because back when it was in the open who to go to and this other dolmar e&e snitched to the higher ups to get the great service dolmar dealer A----'s in trouble that was helping everyone out online.

Pounce2181

there are a few new dolmars on ebay. don't know the details about them. Didn't really consider it an option. Might have to though lol

Thank You Sponsors!