iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Installing a rheostat

Started by True North, June 01, 2009, 12:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True North

We have a Timber Harvester that does not have a variable speed feed on it. Does anyone know if it would be possible to install a rheostat so we can adjust our feed speed from the control box?

york

TN,
ya can`t do that-that is a 12V solenoid valve and it is either on,or it is off-you need to use the needle valve in the HDY. line,that feeds the feed motor...On the later TH mills they ran a loop in the head drive feed line back to the operators station and put the needle valve there.....Bert
Albert

bandmiller2

Bert is right it needs to be a hydraulic control.I thought timber harvestor had an adjustable needle valve for the feed to the right of the control levers.If not an easy installation valve is around $50.00 adjusts the feed foward but allows unrestricted gig back.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

york

Frank,
yes,on the later mills TH ran an loop that fed the head motor...the motor that move the head forward and back-ran a loop back to the saw station and put a needle valve in it,simple setup,but added a lot more hyd lines...

His mill has a needle valve on the head,he needs to find it...
Albert

True North

Thanks guys,

I found the needle valve. It is up by the engine. How involved would it be to move it back to the controls so you could control it from there?

york

TN,
Not cheap to do...you would remove the needle valve-then run a new HYD. line from where the needle valve got fed,thur the coils of HYD. lines back to your saw station-then into the needle valve-then another new line running back to the head drive motor...

takes a lot of new HYD. hose.....This is how TH did it on there later mills...

There is another way-which is more work,kinda of a winter project,what i did with my TH mill-will post few pic. later..

Bert
Albert

Hilltop366

If the valve is a rotary one could one control it with a reversible DC motor I,m thinking a car window motor with a built in gear reduction where you to reverse it by switching the + and -. if you get one from a junk yard you can get the switch too (the passenger side window get used a lot less and has a single switch)

True North

That's an interesting idea, Hilltop. How exactly would you hook up the motor to turn the knob on the valve?

Hilltop366

I,m not sure what the valve looks like or what the thread pitch is on it.( if it would need more reduction ) It might take a little machining to get set up. I was wondering if some small pulleys and a belt would work and give more reduction. I would think the belt should not be too tight as the valve is probably not designed for a lateral load.

If no farther reduction is required I have seen a simple low load coupling made from a sturdy hose (heater or hyd hose).  Being careful to not let the hose travel on the shaft an damage a seal or something else.

Also I was wondering if turning the valve by a motor it may require some stops to keep the valve from being over tightened or opened too far?

Or if a 12 volt  DC flow control valve can be bought?

Just ideas

york

HI all,

this is what the needle valve looks like-only TN has his needle valve up on the head...It turns really easy and not much to make a change in the oil flow.....

Albert

Hilltop366

Thanks York.
Sounds like a much smaller reduction motor would do the job. or maybe a dc servo motor ?

Hilltop366

True North
I was adjusting my electric sideview mirrors on my truck the other day and it got me to wondering just how easy does that valve turn?
Do you suppose a motor from a eleceric mirror would work?

Jeff

A mirror motor should work. Here is what I did with one. It opens and closes a gate.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,26330.20.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Hilltop366

Nice job on the gate Jeff , I was really thinking of the smaller motors found in 1/2t trucks and cars.
If it turns real easy an only requires a little adjustment to make a difference?

Jeff

The motor and its gear reduction is only about 3" by 3" by 3/4"  Not very big.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!