iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

40,000 pound Redwood Burl

Started by mdvaden, May 31, 2009, 10:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdvaden

A couple of months back, I had a chance to find snd photograph Sir Isaac Newton redwood, a previous champion tree. The burl on it's lower trunk is over 40,000 pounds. Geez ... big enough to bowl-out a hot tub.

The 24' DBH trunk really makes it look smaller than it is. But that's a 20 ton burl back there.

DanG

How much do you think such a hot tub would bring on E-bay? :D

That's a big honkin' burl for sure, and a magnificent tree!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SPIKER

I want to see him mount it in his turning machine :) :D
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

mike_van

A 24 ft DBH tree? I can't even imagine one that size - Gotta get out there someday................
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Ianab

This is what a burl hot tub looks like

DIY version

May or may not be as big as MDs burl, but they are 30,000 years older. But the same sort of burl on a live free is a probalby even more special.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mdvaden

Personally, if I had a burl like that, a deluxe desk and file cabinet is likely what I'd like to make from it. With one side natural and bumping looking.

Beyond my woodwork skills.

But I've always been a big fan of rolltops and other cool custom desks.

Thank You Sponsors!