iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Onion Pie

Started by scgargoyle, May 30, 2009, 07:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

Seein' as Vidalia onions are in season, this is a good use, and it goes good with BBQ. Yes, Radar, you have my permission to use it if you see fit. BTW- This is NOT dessert pie! Despite the hot sauce, this does not have any 'heat' to it.

Onion Pie

Ingredients
5-6 Vidalia onions, sliced thin
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup grated parmesan
4 eggs, beaten
2 Tbl (or more) hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2- 9" pie shells, baked
1/2 cup grated parmesan for topping
pinch of paprika for topping

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 375
2) Cook onions in butter until soft and clear. Do not brown. Save the juices
3) Mix cooked onions and juices with eggs and sour cream. Add cheese and hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture into pie shells.
4) Sprinkle grated cheese and paprika on top. Bake @ 375 for 20 minutes, then lower to 350, and bake another 30 minutes or so, until lightly browned on top. Let cool a few minutes to set up. I like mine with a few sprinkles of hot sauce (Tabasco Chipotle).

You can load it up with some crumbled bacon, or diced ham to make more of a meal out of it. 8)
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Roxie

That sounds really good.  I'm going to have to try that.   :)
Say when

Norm

That does sound good, I will say I've never heard of a recipe such as this. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Roxie

I made this yesterday as a side dish for supper and served it with London Broil from the grill and corn on the cob.  I made my own pie crust but otherwise followed the recipe exactly and it got rave reviews! 

Long live Vidalia Onions!   8)

Say when

Modat22

I just put two in the oven, waiting for it to get done.

Eyes are still burning but it sure smells good.

Well, I liked the pies. I ate on them for 3 days (wife didn't like them). I found that hines 57 and bacon went with onion pie really well.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!