iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on McCulloch Chainsaw.

Started by WMcGinn, May 29, 2009, 10:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WMcGinn

I've been cutting stuff for a few years with my greenhorn Craftsman 18" saw,    and more times than one I've found it to be inadequate both power and size wise.    With our recent Ice Storm and an abundance of debris to deal with,  the shortcomings of my Craftsman enticed me to look for a bigger saw.    For $80 I bought a McCulloch saw from a neighbors brother.    It's certainly not a new saw and has seen some use,   but it started/idled/runs well.   It's a McCulloch Pro-Mac 5700-20,   with a 20" bar. 
     The chain was pretty worn so I went to buy a new one at Orschelins.....   but the 20" chain is too short,  and the 22" chain is too long,  and I can't find a 21" chain.....   then I figured out the problem,  the saw has a wide rollertop bar, requiring the longer chain...   With no ready source for this oddsized chain,   I bought a new bar/chain for $65.    Now my bargain "big" saw has cost me nearly $150.       Now the one remaining problem.....  The saw is missing the chainbreak hand guard.   The guy said he had it and would give it to me,  but turns out he can't get his hands on it.      Now I'm looking for someplace to buy a replacement.  (I dang sure don't feel comfortable using the saw without it)  I've looked online through the McCulloch parts services,  but Can't find an exact match for model number.   
       I asked a buddy for some advice and he recommended I put the McCulloch in the shed and go buy a Stihl. :0)

So here's the question.   I know McCulloch no longer makes this size saw.  1. Is it worth it to keep investing money in it?
2.  is there some place to buy used parts to fit this model?   I'm sure there's one of these saws out there that won't run but has a perfectly good chainbreak on it.     

Wm

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures...... right next to the Mashed potatoes.

Banjo picker

I think your buddy has got it figured out.  I had a Mc once aboutsoutly the worst saw I ever had.  I have cousins that have the McCulloch last name and they mainly own Stilhs.  Sorry but that is my exp.  Could be I just got a bad one, but it made an impression.   ;D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

beenthere

I cringed when you said you bought a McCulloch.  :o :o  and not that they were not a good saw in their day.
Also, just seems doubtful to me that the chain brake had been removed and lost. Is there evidence that the brake was ever on that saw?

As for the chain, should have prolly gone to a chainsaw dealer and discussed getting a chain that was the right length for the bar on the McCulloch, with the right number of links for the bar you had. Now you are getting a lot invested, which makes turning away from this saw much more difficult.

Not sure what to advise, but I would like to see you spending money on a saw brand that still has dealers that can help you out.

There are several chainsaw people on the Forum with a lot more knowledge than I, and hopefully they can help you with this dilema.  Try to look at the bright side.  :)

Maybe because the guy cannot get the chainbrake, he will give your money back and you can also take the bar and chain back.  Then head for a chainsaw dealer you can work with. Might work out better.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

If that thing is indeed a PM 5700 it was one of the last saws McCulloch made and it is essentually a PM 605 sold under another number .A PM 605 is just a smaller version of a PM 610 / Timberbear 3.7 . That is not a large saw it's only 57 cc .

At any rate a 20" bar on that saw should be 70 drivers of 3/8" chain .Unless somebody messed with it , it didn't come originally with any strange driver count or size .

Now as far as the saw,it should cut okay but it isn't a barn burner ,just a rather heavy 60 cc saw .

WMcGinn

Ha Ha,   yea,  I'm in agreement with you guys,   with the work ahead of me,  I need to get a different saw, and I'm going to bite the bullet and probably buy a new Stihl.    If I can get a chainbreak bar for not much $ that will fit this saw to make it a little safer to use,  I'll keep it as a backup.   It does have evidence of a chainbreak bar.... ther is a mounting post coming out of the side of the saw.    With Al's observation about the saw,  I can do an image search and at least see what the part I need looks like (thanks),  may be able to find a salvage part from a repair dealer or something.   The saw does run and cut great compared to my Craftsman.  You're right,  it is heavy.   I'll try to find a way to put a pic of it on here. 

Beenthere,  I thought about a refund on the saw.... but it was one of those situations where the guy was hard up needing some cash.    I think his woman  pull_smiley kicked him out and basically the saw was one of the things in his truck he still had to sell....  I think the Chainbreak at the woman's place, but i ain't bout to get in the middle of that mess.    bat_smailey

I never owned a McCulloch before..... but I remember hearing about them as a boy.... here is one expert on McCulloch saws I listened to growing up.....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOgLc15x9fw

wm 
There's plenty of room for all God's creatures...... right next to the Mashed potatoes.

Al_Smith

If the rest of the brake is intact it shouldn't be that hard to find the handle .

It is my assumption that one would fit from a PM 610 although I can't find the parts numbers for that model in my list of IPL's .

I have no idea where you are at but you need to find an old saw shop that's been around for a while rather than some lawn and garden place that is only interested in selling saws in a new condition for escalated prices .

If you find such a place then chances are they would have a few PM 610's in varied states of disrepair you could rob parts from ,namely a chain brake handle .

I personally would not  be too concerned about the brake but then too I started running these things long before that item was ever even thought about .Safety first though ,whatever makes you feel comforatble is what should be done .

rebocardo

Your best bet is probably Craigslist.org, followed by E-Bay for buying a parts saw.

I think I have a PM 610 to fix, suppose to have a bad clutch. If the customer doesn't want it before the repair bill$ I was going to sell or part it out on E-Bay. It has a good brake handle. So, if you can't find one locally, I might have one.

As for buying the Stihl ... I have not put it on the scales, but, the Mac feels like it weighs as much as my 066 (90cc) saw, about 18 pounds. The Mac is kind of an older school 80s saw that will probably last longer then your arms will using it :-)

I had a firewood customer at a country club driving cars worth as much as my house and he had one of these beasts in his garage. Must have owned it before he was rich enough for a Stihl  :D

It might take 40:1 too.

> the saw has a wide rollertop bar

Mine has the same bar, stock, it has the brand name still on it.

FWIW: The hand brake on almost any saw is the second most expensive thing to commonly replace on a broken saw, along with a Husky gas tank handle. When I buy or take a saw in trade if the brake handle does not work I deduct $50-$60 from the saw.

The Mac is usually a $60-$80 saw in top condition and complete on CL around here. Broken brake handle would make it a $30-$40 saw in off season. Reason being is you can buy a 20" Poulan refurb with warranty for $90-$100 at local hardware stores and a brand new Poulan Pro for $140-$150.

I would not use it without the hand brake either, especially considering the wide nose of the bar. I have not used this one yet, but, if it follows like any of these older saws I have used it will be low RPMs and a lot of torque.

Al_Smith

Oh they don't weight that much . :D Of course compaired to a craftsman it would seem like a ton I suppose .

About 75 bucks or so is about what that saw would be worth but I've seen them fetch over 150 on e-bay .Fact is one seller gets over 300 for them .As for the handle they get around 10-12 bucks for them used ,not a big deal .

They made two styles of handle which I assume interchange but the 5700 would most likely take the later style .

I have two PM 610's in the shed,one minus the handle,another with .Over 30 years old and still run like a charm although not used much .

WMcGinn

I tried to add some pics of the saw here on this post.... but never could get that to work... .I did upload them into my gallery.   Hopefully you could see them there.....    you should be able to see where/how the chainbrake bar mounts in the pics.   

beenthere

WM
Those are good pics.
To add them to a post..

When creating a post in the blue window, go to the Java uploader below which will take you to where you can click on your gallery.
When in your gallery, just click on the thumbnail of the photo you want to include in your post.
When that photo enlarges, drop down below where it says  "Click here to copy this photo code directly to your Forestry Forum post window"  and click on that. A window asks if you really want to do that, and click on "yes".
Now go back to your "reply" post draft, and you should see it pasted in with your message.  But click on preview to see if all is what you want it to be.  When ok, then click on "save".

Hope this helps  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

> Oh they don't weight that much

My 066 is 21.8 pounds with a 20" and filled both tanks.

I just weighed the PM610, 19.3 pounds both tanks empty.

It is close  ;)

Al_Smith

Yep,most likely is .So the 066 doesn't break your back neither will the PM 610 . :D

I must admit the Mac is heavy for 60 cc as compaired to a more modern saw but then the Mac is also a 30 year old design too .If you latch on to a 30 year Stihl or Husky it won't be a feather weight either .

Just to make you feel better my two Mac 610's don't see much action .I have much lighter faster saws these days .The old Macs came through in their day though and can still get-er- done if called on .

WMcGinn

From our conversation it was said that the saw I have.... the 5700-20 ProMac   is likely a special version of the 610...    Does anyone have a pic of the chainbrake bar for the 610 just so I can tell for sure what I'm looking for on Ebay..    I've found some parts,   but hate to order one if it's wrong.    Like I said,  This saw didn't have that part on it so I don't know what it is supposed to look like.      I've googled the 610 in Google images... but I cant see the chainbrake bar very well in the photos. 

Thanks, 
Wm

Al_Smith

I wish I could post a picture but I'm too stupiid to on this web forum .

I suppose I could link to another forum I've posted thousands of pictures on but then again I've already been kicked of off of  one forum so I'll decline .

Back to the subject .The Pm 610 had two different brake systems .The early ones were wrap around deals that fastened on the starter side by way of a special shoulder bolt but I don't think that is what you want .

The later ones were just a straight handle deal that bolted to the lever which activated the brake .This is what I believe you need .

I imagine if you called Fayetteville equipment repair in Fayetteville New York they could set you straight on what you actually need and they might even  have one cheaper than E-bay although they sell on E-bay themselves .

splitter

Dig a hole and bury the Mc, best saws I've ever used was Echo's. Have owned four. Went to other saws and came back to the Echo. A Echo will start everytime. Splitter

Al_Smith

It's an opinion and nothing more .Some people like Echos,some do not .Kinda like McCullochs,ya know . ;)

rebocardo

Some pictures of the hand brake that you wanted.

PM610 fwiw

]

Al_Smith

Good picture.That is one of the later models which should fit on anything of that design ,meaning PM 610-605,Tmber bear 3.7 etc .

The earlier versions had a plastic top handle which attached to the starter side by means of a shoulder bolt ,which provided a pivot point .. These became somewhat of a pain in rear when changing a chain .

rebocardo

Glad you liked the pictures.

I found out the clutch problem was probably the metal plate under the bar put on backwards so it was rubbing the chain  ::)  Now I only have to get it started after 1 year of sitting, not going well except it does have spark.

Al_Smith

Well then it's got to be fuel delivery because there is nothing else left  to screw it up .

For what it's worth my old PM 610 has never had the carb off of it in the 30 years I've owned it but I have replaced the fuel line.Once,maybe twice,can't remember exactly .

rebocardo

There is a guy on CL that has (4) for $200. One with a 30" bar! Plus, two parts saws and a box of parts.  Kind of funny you mentioned your carb because of his post

"At least eight new carberators, Two new fuel pick up tubes" in his parts box.

Maybe someone figured out it was the fuel tube after a few carb replacements :-)

I agree, probably the hose. Looks like the air filter wasn't on tight, a lot of big saw dust pieces around the carb. They do look pretty simple though, choke is working.

Al_Smith

Oh it kind of amuses me the amount of people that belly ache about the PM 610 style of Macs and have never seen one let alone ran one .

My dear old departed pappy had one tuned that would out cut a Stihl 042 which was newly on the market at that time and had a half a cubic inch more displacement .

Fact it that very same saw resides in my shed right next to my 610  but I will admit they don't see much run time as I have way better saws to use these days .

Oh for no more than what they fetch for price they would be good for the light firewood cutter or just occasional saw user unless the guy was too puny to hoist one around .---- or spend 800 bucks for a new 80 cc saw so you have bragging rights,it's a free country or at least used to be . 8)

WMcGinn

Thanks for the pics and the feedback....  I bought the chain brake, guard and side cover on ebay for 16 bucks....   I know you don't have to have the chainbrake,   but I'll feel safer with it..   

wm

rebocardo

You are safer  ;)  If we could plan accidents we would call them events. I posted a picture a while ago of my arm when I fell with my saw, luckily for me I had just set the hand brake.

Thank You Sponsors!