iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time To buy a new truck?

Started by Night Raider, May 29, 2009, 01:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Raider

So with all that's going on with GM any bets on when the best time to get a good deal on a new truck is?  My guess with the way things are going it'll probably mid to late june.
Any other opinions?

beenthere

I won't be buying anything from Government Motors. >:( >:(
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Modat22

well could be. If I where more secure in my own job I'd probably buy now.
remember man that thy are dust.

Warbird

I'd be careful about buying a truck from a company that may very well go out of business.  Parts may be hard to get down the road.

Fla._Deadheader

Anyone notice all the ads for Pontiac's ???   GM says they are discontinuing Pontiac line of cars ???  BUYER BEWARE  8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodmills1

gm parts will probably always be avalable  the tooling will be bought up at bargain prices and new companies will evolve.  GM after market parts have launched thousands of succesful companies.

If this isn't true I can always sell firewood from my land one piece at a time roadside. :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have a smiley problem too the couch................ ;D >:( :( :o :) ;)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DanG

GM is not going out of business.  They are filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection while they reorganize.  Just yesterday, the UAW announced concessions to help out with the labor costs.  I am no happier than anyone else about the Government's meddling in GM's affairs, but sounding the death knell at this point is way, way off base.

They are discontinuing the Pontiac line, but there is nothing on a Pontiac that isn't interchangable with a Chevy or Buick, except for a few minor body trim pieces.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ScottAR

What DanG said...  All the mechanical bits are the same as
Chebby down to the same part#s. Generic they are....

Hmmm Generic Motors?  kinda rolls of the tongue.   ::)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

pigman

Quote from: DanG on May 30, 2009, 12:53:04 AM
the UAW announced concessions to help out with the labor costs. 
What I heard was that they agreed to freeze the wages at the present levels and not ask for a wage increase. I just don't see how the UAW workers can survive with a major concession like that. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

I just saw the headline, and didn't read the article. ::)  I don't see how they can survive if they run the company out of business, either.  It seems like they would do most anything to avoid a shutdown.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

From what I read, the Govt. takes 74%, UAW takes 16%, Creditors get the crumbs. Stock holders lose it all ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Corley5

I saw a clip on the news a couple nights back about vouchers for new vehicles.  If you have a truck older than 2002 and trade it in on one that gets at least 2mpg better you'll get a voucher for $4,500.  One mpg gets you a voucher worth $3,500 and there were other categories as well.  Of course it's just a proposal and it'll probably only be good for a vehicle from one of "The People's Car Companies" 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

OK, I've gone and read the articles now.  FDH is right.  I don't understand how a "loan" entitles the Gov't to just take over the company like that!  Since Ford didn't bite the bait, I'm wondering what strategy this administration will use to destroy them?  What industry is next?

ellmoe

Quote from: DanG on May 30, 2009, 10:03:02 AM
Since Ford didn't bite the bait, I'm wondering what strategy this administration will use to destroy them?  What industry is next?

That's exactly what I've been thinking. If Ford starts doing better that the government/UAW auto companies, what will Obama do to them to level the playing field. I mean, look at Ford now, the're competing with a co. with it's own printing press for money. It would be like play playing poker against Bill Gates, he could "buy" every pot. I admire what Ford has done on it's own, but I won't be buying any stock in them.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

rebocardo

If someone is going out of business because people are not buying their product, how great a deal is it buying something the majority of people do not want. Especially if you can not get replacement parts or support?

I wouldn't count on a new car CPU being reversed engineered and have mods then done even 1/2 a year after GM goes under. Can't pass emissions because of a programming error, tough luck!

How many recalls happen only the 1st year of ownership? Even on established lines, they do some pretty serious recalls 4-5 years after the vehicle rolls out.  How about the government forcing Ford to do a recall and free motor replacement on just about every 3.8L that blew under 100k for defective head bolts?

Think there is anyone working at a GM supplier getting laid off/fired that might sabotage a critical spec part a little? Any QA engineer being replaced forced into retirement and being replaced by a under qualified younger worker?

I am sure there are people that know they are getting fired, are very angry at GM (loss of pension, loss of seniority, loss of health care, etc.), and might be having some thoughts about getting silent revenge. Just like the Firestone workers that help cause the Federal recall of their tires.

I would not buy any vehicle now except for cash, I wouldn't buy a new GM now, I certainly wouldn't buy one when the odds are even worse on getting good quality from the vehicle.

Fla._Deadheader

News headline, "President Barack Obama now owns General Motors, even though he insists he's taking it out only for a spin."
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ironmower

I'd like too hear from some of GM employees, there's got too be a FF member that works for GM eh eh. If not, I'm sure someone knows someone who works for them. What do they think?
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Thank You Sponsors!