iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started cutting firewood...Now how do I stack logs?!?!

Started by FTD, May 29, 2009, 11:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FTD

I decided on a Nichols Log Arch trailer instead of a traditional log arch.  I think I made the right choice for what I am doing.  Especially, when factoring the purchase cost difference. Having 25 feet of cable to pull logs out of the brush is really nice as well.  I will eventually change to 50 feet.  The manual winch model is nice for keeping it simple.  I pulled about 3 cords of wood with really minimal impact to the ground.  I was culling out old Poplar to leave room for the more desirable species.  The largest log I was able to haul (read as limit of man and machine) was a 25'x20"x17" log.  The ground was nice and dry an everything pulled nice.  I have chains but need to address a clearance issue between tire and trailing arm before installing.  It is a 400cc ATV making about 30 hp.  Only burned less than 1 gal of fuel in the machine.  Longest skid is 1/8 mile at this point.

Any suggestions on how I can clean up the landing by stacking the logs without a grapple or hoist?  I have been trying to pile them when I pull in with some success, but there must be a better way...

Coon

Nice to see that you are getting out your winters supply of firewood out.   :)

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

wi woodcutter

Nice looking rig! :D

You can come over and pull out logs for me any time.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

rebocardo

Having the winch is nice, I never regretted mounting winches in my truck beds.

I cut a popular the other day, does it burn well?

FTD

It burns well enough.  Won't last like a nice piece of maple.  But then, "Free is for me!"  It is supposed to have a cleaning effect on your chimney.  I don't know if it does or not.  I think that is mostly the burn characteristic of the wood- Fairly hot and quick. 

Corley5

Nice quad  8)  400 Outy Max right  ??? 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

FTD

Yes. ;D The long wheelbase is good for pulling.  Makes turning a challenge...

FTD

I got the "shelf" on the back that I actually made for the dog.  It is 24"x48" with 2x4 sides and carpet bottom.  I would like to keep it for the dog.  When I use it for my saw stuff, it works well enough, but stuff bounces out.  Anybody got a good design for homemade, or cheeeeeeep store bought basket that woorks good?

thecfarm

Glad you like the log arch.They are only made 20 minutes from me.I need to get started on mine firewood.Been busy at work. OT is being offered so I'm working well the extra time is there.First time in 20 years that I worked over.I doubt it will keep on.
I built a plywood box with angle braces.Still have it 15 years.Probaly have $20 in it.Hard to find a right size box,for $20.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

FTD

Any suggestions on how I can clean up the landing by stacking the logs without a grapple or hoist?  I have been trying to pile them when I pull in with some success, but there must be a better way...

sprucebunny

Quote from: FTD on May 30, 2009, 01:18:02 PM
I got the "shelf" on the back that I actually made for the dog.  It is 24"x48" with 2x4 sides and carpet bottom.  I would like to keep it for the dog.  When I use it for my saw stuff, it works well enough, but stuff bounces out.  Anybody got a good design for homemade, or cheeeeeeep store bought basket that woorks good?

For a rear basket, I cut one side off of 2 milk crates. Set the open sides facing each other about 10" apart. I cut a piece of plywood (from the dump  ;D ) for the bottom and 2 pieces of 1" to 1.5" PVC pipe to make the top rail on each side. Attatched the pipe with stainless screws. It's lasted several years with saws and snippers banging around in it. I hold it on with bungies  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

FTD

Thanks sprucebunny.  I was thinking of doing that same type of thing.  Was thinking of "6 gal" milk crate too.

chucker

i use an artic cat 300  that i pull logs with utilizing a log lift. after pulling 3 loads or so i pile them up with a snow blade. if the logs are of larger size i will pile each pull as i go .
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

beenthere

Quote from: FTD on June 08, 2009, 09:34:02 PM

I stack the logs at the landing with the forks on my loader. What do you have available to use?
If just the ATV mentioned, then I'd think the snow blade might work a little bit to scoot them together.
But to pile them, cut some short small diam lengths for ramps, and figure a way to roll the logs up with a peavy or cant hook. Need a way to keep them from rolling back each time you get another grip. Two people can work it pretty easily.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sprucegum

In the absence of machinery to handle tree length logs I would cut them to end-use length right away. 8 or 10 foot logs can be man handled easier than the whole tree. If its for firewood cut it into blocks and toss them in a pile, they'll dry faster. They will dry even faster if you split them right away also.

Poplar left in log length laying on the ground will rot before it dries  :(

Kevin

You can get by with a tote box on the back.
Drill holes in the bottom and tie wrap it to the the back rack.

For stacking logs I put two tree tops on the ground and used a cant hook to roll my logs onto the tops.
To get the logs higher on the pile I used the winch from the argo and pulled them up onto the pile, sometimes you need to assist with the cant hook but it's doable.

ksu_chainsaw

If you only have the 4-wheeler, drag them to the landing and then cut them to a 4' length- you can cut 3 16" firewood pieces from it then.  lay out 2 long logs to keep the pile off of the ground with 2 heavy posts at one end to keep the pile from rolling away.  then you can manhandle the smaller stuff or use the 4-wheeler and a blade to push the pile up higher.  it works better if the pile is on a slight hill to roll down into the posts.

For a box to store the saws and stuff in, I have 2 boxes made from scrap metal that was floating around.  I made it big enough to put 2 saws, gas, and oil in for the rear box- it is about 2 foot tall, so i can put a couple pairs of chaps on top.  the bottom is 3/4" plywood and the sides are expanded metal all attached to 2" angle iron- it makes it easier to bungee on extra stuff.  The front box is 2" angle iron with 3/4" plywood for sides and bottom.  This one is only about 8" high, and just big enough to set 2 5 gallon buckets in so they dont slide around.  This makes it easier to grab different buckets for different things- feed, fencing supplies, drinks(i have one bucket lined with styrofoam to use as a cooler), or small tools.

Charles

Ron Wenrich

Just thinking out loud, and I don't know if it will work.  What if you had 2 cables on the ground that were anchored, either to trees or to something driven into the ground.  Drag your logs across the cables.  You probably could put a couple of skids across it. 

Pull the cable ends across the top of the logs and attach to your ATV and pull the logs together.  I guess its the same as parbucking logs onto trailers.

If there is too much drag on the ATV, then pull the logs across a couple of poles with the cable on the ground, but between the poles.  It will reduce the amount of friction and make the job easier.

You might be able to use the poles to get the pile higher by putting the poles up on the load. 

Clear as mud?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LeeB

gotta get the cable back out without toppling the stack.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Woodhog

You could have a few rails under the long lengths, then just chunk up the wood right on the landing as you haul it out, laydown some brush, poles etc to keep it up off the ground, chunk it to stove length and throw it on a pile or even better right on the back of your truck.

When I haul with my ATV, I have a 4 wheel walking beam trailer with a wooden box on it,
I chunk the wood right at the stump, haul out a trailer load and throw it right on the truck, the ATV goes on a trailer, when the truck is full home goes the load of wood and the machine.

The box sits on the trailer frame, side boards are wired on loose, the whole thing is like an old horse wagon and will flex and move if you hit trees etc and not break apart (within reason)

The  wood is gone and the machine is gone, in case of 2 legged animals come prowling by at night. I hide the trailer in the woods at the end of false roads i make off the main trails.

I have some pictures if you want to e-mail me , posting them works me to the limit.

If I get a few hours I might be able to post a few...

[/img][/img][/img]

Gee it worked!!!! one of the two appeared!!!!!!!!

Woodhog

Hmmmm that was fun   8)

Lets try another one...

oscar not the grouch

Hi there,
Nice little operation you have there. I'm in the process of designing and building an ATV log arc to haul out full lenght trees. I had this bright idea of taking a 30 hrs night course"basic welding" at our local Community College and weding my arch together as my course project. Well, the tuition for this night course is close to $400. I think I'll pay a welder to do it.......When you say you use your cable winch to pull logs out of the bush, I was wondering if you use anything to keep the end of the tree from jamming behind stumps etc...or do you go and lift the but end of the tree whenever it gets stuck somewhere?

rick f

I would think the way to stack your tree length wood is to get a set of tongs put a snatch block in a tree. Pull the wood sideways up a couple of skids and pile them that way. Wood cutters  here did that all the time stackum 10 feet high if you want, just tier them up. As always us caution.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

ford62783

if u have a plow u could try that and try to push them up if it is controled by a winch and is sturdy enough not sure how it will wrk but its worth a  shot
timberjack 240e

Thank You Sponsors!