iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to sawing...Have some questions

Started by adam, May 29, 2009, 10:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adam

Hey guys, just bought a cook's MP-32 20' manual mill. I mainly bought the mill for personal use, but I am going to sell and mill for customers as well. I had a couple of questions:
1) Are there any manual blade sharpeners out there that are any good($500-$750  dollar range)
2) what do people coat on the ends of wood to prevent checking
3) Any good ideas of what to do with the junk pine log cut offs
4) Any general tips or ideas are welcome
Thanks everybody look forward to hearing from you.

woodmills1

I have a woodmizer sharpener and would say you would do well to find one used.  make sure to get the updated clamp if it doesn't have one.

perfect use for pine cutoffs is an outdoor wood furnace

do you have a way to handle logs for loading the mill, and what are you going to do with the slabs?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

LeeB

Welcome to two serious addictions. The forum and sawdust. There is a wealth of information here in the forum with answers to all the questions you asked and a lot more you never thought of. Look back at the past posts and use the search function. Set aside a good bit of time though. It's kinda like Lays potato chips. You can't do just one.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

kelLOGg

Where are you located, Adam? I like to know where other Cooks owners are. There is a wealth of info here on the FF and never enuf time to digest it all. Welcome to the habit.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

Just below show replies to my post is Forum extras,click on to that and than Knowledge base.Lots of help there.The Tool Box is handy too.Good luck with you sawing projects.Have you been around sawmills before?I have a manual mill too.Like I say,If I don't do it,it don't get done.You will need a cant dog or a peavey.They are slow,but just depends on your wants.It's a hard way to make money,but sawing for yourself is fine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MotorSeven

I can only answer one of those for you...Anchorseal....http://www.uccoatings.com/Home/Products/ANCHORSEAL

It is wax based and designed for the purpose of sealing logs. Some use cheap latex paint, but I think the oveall consensus is that Anchorseal does it better.

I will be reading the "pine flitch" recommendations also...........

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

DanG

Adam, something I've done with those cutoffs is to saw them into large blocks, like 4x6 or 8x8 and such.  They're real handy to have around the place, and I use them all the time.  I've also given a bunch of them away to some of my farmer customers and the tree service guys that sometimes bring me logs.  It's a good cheap way to create a little goodwill. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

adam

Quote from: woodmills1 on May 29, 2009, 11:08:51 AM
I have a woodmizer sharpener and would say you would do well to find one used.  make sure to get the updated clamp if it doesn't have one.

perfect use for pine cutoffs is an outdoor wood furnace

do you have a way to handle logs for loading the mill, and what are you going to do with the slabs?
Hey Woodmills, thanks for the info. I have a Cub Cadet 36 Hp tractor with forks that I use to load the logs with. I'm going to sell the slabs as siding. 

adam

Quote from: LeeB on May 29, 2009, 04:51:25 PM
Welcome to two serious addictions. The forum and sawdust. There is a wealth of information here in the forum with answers to all the questions you asked and a lot more you never thought of. Look back at the past posts and use the search function. Set aside a good bit of time though. It's kinda like Lays potato chips. You can't do just one.
Hey LeeB, thanks for the welcome. As soon as I sawed my first log......I knew I was addicted.

adam

Quote from: kelLOGg on May 29, 2009, 06:02:10 PM
Where are you located, Adam? I like to know where other Cooks owners are. There is a wealth of info here on the FF and never enuf time to digest it all. Welcome to the habit.
Bob
Thanks for the welcome. I live in N.Y. state

adam

Quote from: thecfarm on May 30, 2009, 08:08:43 AM
Just below show replies to my post is Forum extras,click on to that and than Knowledge base.Lots of help there.The Tool Box is handy too.Good luck with you sawing projects.Have you been around sawmills before?I have a manual mill too.Like I say,If I don't do it,it don't get done.You will need a cant dog or a peavey.They are slow,but just depends on your wants.It's a hard way to make money,but sawing for yourself is fine.
Before buying the Cook's mill I had only seen a mill up close and personal once at a demo. It's a lot of fun, and I really enjoy learning new things. Thanks for the info

adam

Quote from: MotorSeven on May 30, 2009, 08:27:52 AM
I can only answer one of those for you...Anchorseal....http://www.uccoatings.com/Home/Products/ANCHORSEAL

It is wax based and designed for the purpose of sealing logs. Some use cheap latex paint, but I think the oveall consensus is that Anchorseal does it better.

I will be reading the "pine flitch" recommendations also...........

RD
Thnaks for the link

adam

Quote from: DanG on May 30, 2009, 08:32:17 AM
Adam, something I've done with those cutoffs is to saw them into large blocks, like 4x6 or 8x8 and such.  They're real handy to have around the place, and I use them all the time.  I've also given a bunch of them away to some of my farmer customers and the tree service guys that sometimes bring me logs.  It's a good cheap way to create a little goodwill. ;)
Good idea, thanks.

bandmiller2

Adam,mills create alot of waste,best solution is to heat with it,pine slab isn't bad especially mixed with heavier stuff.Starting off find a company to sharpen and set your bands,if it is truely your calling later look into sharpening equip.you realize you still also need a setter.As stated find used if you can.A creditable job sharpening can be done with a modified bench grinder,wheel shaped to the gullet.Suffolk equip.[timberwolf bands]has or use to have instructions for modifing a bench grinder.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DR_Buck

QuoteI'm going to sell the slabs as siding. 
:D :D

Not trying to discourage you, but you'd be more profitable by buying a wood furnace and heating with them.   Slab siding is a nitch market and not a big one.  Also the majority of the slabs you end up with won't be of siding quality.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

fat olde elf

I agree with Kellog.....I like to know where other Cook's owners are....There are lots of sawyers in New York state.  Hope you have as much fun with your MP-32 as Kellog and I do.
Where are you in New York state ?  I will probably be there in August visiting my brother in Buffalo.   That will be after the PIG ROAST.  Keep the faith......
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Thank You Sponsors!