iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bits

Started by brendonv, May 28, 2009, 09:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

Can anyone point me in the direction for purchasing boring bits for my gas drill?

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Jim_Rogers

What speed does this drill turn?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

brendonv

Stihl BT45.

About 650 RPM in Low, 1900 RPM in High, 500 ish Reverse.

www.VorioTree.com

Jim_Rogers

My partner and I sell boring machine bits for antique boring machines.
I feel that these bits won't work in a drill that turns that fast, that's why I asked how fast does it turn.

Antique boring machine bits are designed to turn very slowing and pull the bit into the wood. Using them in a power drill, regardless how it is powered, is not the best solution. You'll need to find bits that are made to turn at these speeds.

I don't have a source for bits like this, and can only suggest doing an Internet search of bit suppliers.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

Jim Rogers

Rooster

Milwaukee Tools make screw feed boring bits that also come with extensions...And I recently saw three fluted screw fees bits at Lowes...but have only used Miwaukee.
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Dave Shepard

I've used a boring machine bit in a hole hawg, you have to stop way before you think, as they keep on turnin' for a while. :D I would imagine that the gas drill is similar.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ARKANSAWYER

I use the Millwaukee bits and you should have no problem with them.   They come with two tips, one is for soft woods and the other is shorter and for hardwoods.  I have them up to 2 inches and they work good.  Also they can be sharpened some and I got mine at HomeDepot.
ARKANSAWYER

brendonv

Thanks,  I'll have to check HD.

www.VorioTree.com

moonhill

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on May 28, 2009, 07:36:59 PM
  I have them up to 2 inches and they work good.  Also they can be sharpened some and I got mine at HomeDepot.

2" bits from Home Depot?  I have not seen bits that size in the stores.  1-1/2" yes but no 2" can you provide more information on the 2" variety?

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: moonhill on May 28, 2009, 08:09:31 PM
Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on May 28, 2009, 07:36:59 PM
  I have them up to 2 inches and they work good.  Also they can be sharpened some and I got mine at HomeDepot.

2" bits from Home Depot?  I have not seen bits that size in the stores.  1-1/2" yes but no 2" can you provide more information on the 2" variety?

Tim

Tim,

A quick search turns up this item: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100053616

Hope this helps.

Herb

Jim_Rogers

I used the check availability at my local store option and this bit is available at my local store.....

Jim Rogers

StorminN

I have a couple of those Milwaukee bits, and they work well, but they seem a little RPM sensitive... they work well with a Hole Hawg, not as well with a faster drill... not sure how many RPM a Hole Hawg is compared to your gas drill.

Last time I was in Vancouver BC, I picked up a couple of the Lee Valley auger bits, they've worked well for me so far, and the shorter ones are economical... Lee Valley augers link

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

moonhill

I am having issues with my server and they can't find the page.  I will check back later after they have resolved the issue.

Tim

moonhill

Herb,  that link doesn't work for me, I can only find 1-1/2" bits as found on the Lee Valley link.  2" bits such as those would be very impressive, and I would Pay dearly for one.

Tim

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: moonhill link=topic=37741.msg54461'8#msg544618 date=1243646899
Herb,  that link doesn't work for me, I can only find 1-1/2" bits as found on the Lee Valley link.  2" bits such as those would be very impressive, and I would Pay dearly for one.

Tim

Tim,

Not sure why you can't get the page that shows the 2" bit. It lists for $33.47 and page says it is stocked locally in most stores.

Further info:

Internet/Catalog # 100053616

Store SKU# 788333

I found it by using the search on Home Depot's home page, searched for Milwaukee bit and results showed nine items, including this size.

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!