iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home built foam roof Panels

Started by shinnlinger, May 26, 2009, 04:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

This thread will consolidate a few others I had going.  This weekend in about 7 easy hours with my brother helping, I laid 2" 4x8 foam panels 3 deep (6inch total) on the back side of my sheathed roof (about 22x56)

After building a shelf along the eve, I laid the panels horizontally  and ripped the middle panel by 8 inches in both directions so I would stager the joints and secured them to the roof with 2x4s running vertically I had pre-drilled to align with my purlins.  I sucked it all down with 11" panel screws and it is solid.  I will line the front side 2x up so I can strap both sides together to help with creep, but with the shelf at the bottom and all the panel screws I feel really good about.

I will now horizontally strap the 2x and screw ribbed roofing to it.

The reason I mention it is this seems to me to be a very cost effective way to insulate a timber frame roof and it was fairly easy to do.  I did buy a truck load of used poly iso but even if you bought new foam panels it would still be way cheaper than SIP's.  I used a LUll telehandler, but you could do it with a weekend manlift rental that is cheaper than the crane needed for SIPS also.

For some reason, I cant get my pictures to take, either the old way which I had figured out at one point or with this new Java deal.  They are only 43 k but they wont take.  Any ideas?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Jeff

"I cant get my pictures to take"  doesn't give me a lot to go on. You should be getting a descriptive error of some kind.  The old way the photos need to also be at or less then 500 pixles high or wide.

With the Java, there is text on that page that tells you what to look for if its not working.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawdust

I found that my computer got confused about the new uploader if I tried to do too many things at once. I had to shut down my photo program close out the forum and start over. The uploader works incredibly well!

david
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

bigshow

I'd love to see the pics!  keep trying!
I never try anything, I just do it.

Rooster

I also made my own insulated panel roof system.  I built a timber-frame cabin with exposed log rafters. I decked the roof with T&G 1x6 popple. I then made a "stud/rafter" sytem that created the overhangs (gable and eave), but left most of the roof open for filling in with foam board.  Since the stud/rafter system was made out 2x6s, I used 2 layers of 2", plus a layer 1 1/2" foam, then covered it with 7/16" OSB and used 80d ringshank polebarn nails with 5/16" washers , driven into the tops of the log rafters to hold it all down. The trick was to start at the eave, build up the the first 4ft, and put the OSB down right away so that I had something to stand on as I worked on the next "course"....and riping the first sheets of OSB down to 44" let me have the space I need to tape the seams before they were covered up.
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

shinnlinger

Ok,

pixels are like 150 so I don't think that is it.  It says I need to look at my Java console... where is that?

Old way says this.
Safari can't open the page "https://forestryforum.com/gallery/upload.php". The error was: "Operation could not be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 302.)" (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork:302) Please choose Report Bugs to Apple from the Safari menu, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.

what I did before was select the photos and hit continue.
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

HI,

I was just PM'd that macs and Java don't mix and my old comptuer was a PC and I could make that go, but not now.  I reduced to less than 35 K and tried the old way but still no go, same message as above  Dont see the "report bugs" option on my safari yet either, but I will  look around.
Shinnlinger

baronthered

You could try downloading firefox and see if that helps. It's built completely from Java so there shouldn't be any probs using it.
Life's short make fun of it!

Jeff

You might also send a note to sprucebunny. She is using Mac and the java works for her.  If you are getting java errors, you should download the latest version for your application.  150 pixles is to dang small to see. Make them 500.  You can also use this to optimize and upload with the original uploader.

http://webresizer.com/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shinnlinger

Jeff,

Sprucebunny told me java does NOT work for her, that is why  I think it is a bigger problem than just my machine.  I agree about 150 to darn small, but anything bigger exceeds 45 k.  I   knock them down to 72 resolution, but maybe I should go smaller? .  What does work for her is the old setup, which used to work for me, but not on this machine.
Shinnlinger

beenthere

Shinnlinger

Cut the pixels down to 500 first, then reduce or save the file to fit file size (last).

I used to get real frustrated trying to reduce the resolution first. Then I realized that the pixel size (longest side) was the best way to go.

Hope this helps.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

StorminN

Shinnlinger,

FWIW, I'm using Macs and the Java uploader works for me, on both Safari and Firefox...
Safari 3.2.1
Firefox 2.0.0.20 (Mozilla 5.0)
Mac OS 10.4.11

The Java uploader is pretty slick... but that being said, sometimes the compression it does on the photo can make the photo look "chunky" or pixellated... therefore, I prefer to resize the photos manually in Photoshop and save them via the "Save for Web & Devices" command, because I can optimize the .jpg compression when doing this... the pictures end up looking clearer, IMHO.

P.S. I think the Java uploader works on my laptop on Mac OS 10.5, too.

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

zopi

Using MAC here...Running firefox....it sucks less..I upload fine.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

shinnlinger

HI,  Trying the photo thing again and this is what happened when I tried to download coppermine.

Fatal error: mkdir(/mnt/125/sda/e/5/etienne.sf/wiki/data/locks/dd0b9df3751229c832ce03c9afe0a22b) [<a href='function.mkdir'>function.mkdir</a>]: File exists in /mnt/125/sda/e/5/etienne.sf/wiki/inc/io.php on line 304

Where is this firefox?  I don't see a link on the Juploader....

Shinnlinger

Ironwood

You guys went off into never never land there for awhile (could not understand ANYTHING you said :D)

Thanks for sharing Shinlinnger, never thought about this. I do know SIP are VERY pricey. and getting to frame your own would be much cheaper even if you bought the products new, good idea.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

witterbound

QuoteI also made my own insulated panel roof system.  I built a timber-frame cabin with exposed log rafters. I decked the roof with T&G 1x6 popple. I then made a "stud/rafter" sytem that created the overhangs (gable and eave), but left most of the roof open for filling in with foam board.  Since the stud/rafter system was made out 2x6s, I used 2 layers of 2", plus a layer 1 1/2" foam, then covered it with 7/16" OSB and used 80d ringshank polebarn nails with 5/16" washers , driven into the tops of the log rafters to hold it all down. The trick was to start at the eave, build up the the first 4ft, and put the OSB down right away so that I had something to stand on as I worked on the next "course"....and riping the first sheets of OSB down to 44" let me have the space I need to tape the seams before they were covered up.

From what I've read, it seems like a bunch advocate this approach, but a second group advocate putting 2x6 or 2x8s on edge over the T&G, and then infilling inbetween them with the foam board.  It looks to me like one difference in which approach to use is the density of the foam.  The pricey blue and pink stuff from Home Depot is dense, I think, but some other types of foam aren't.  Did this facor into your decision not to use 2x's over the T&G?  What kind of foam did you use?  I've found some commercial product called isoboard that costs less than the Home Depot stuff, and I'm tinking about using it.  Got to get a piece to see how firm it is to walk on if I put osb over it.  I'd hate for my metal roof to sag in the middle because I'd didn't put 2xs in.

Rooster

Witterbound,

I used regular white styrofoam in 2in. and 1.5in thicknesses. I didn't have to walk on the foam itself, but once I laid the 7/16" OSB over the top, It was very sturdy and stiff.  The OSB distributed my weigh over a larger surface than if I just stood on the foam....It's sort of like driving a loaded dump truck onto a lake.  If it's the middle of August in Northern Wisconsin, it's a pretty sure bet that your truck and it's load will be at the bottom of the lake no matter HOW fast you try to get across!  :D

But if it's the middle of December and there is 6in. of ice on the lake, you can park that thing out there and sell bratwurst, Lienenkugel beer, and minnows to all the ice fisherman,until the Spring thaw comes.

The styrofoam supports the OSB like the lake water supports the ice.

I'd say you have a "green light" on this one....I'm just sayin'  ;)

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

moonhill

I am working of a roof that is insulated like this topic is suggesting, no 2x rafters, the insulation is going right on top of the roof decking then strapped on top, held in place with 7" panel screws, metal is next.   

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

shinnlinger

If someone can tell me where to download these picture dealies I will post mine.  I used 11" panel screws... worked well
Shinnlinger

Jim_Rogers

I'm not sure what you mean by picture "dealies" but there are lots of instruction here on this forum site about how to create your own gallery and albums  and place your pictures in it/or them. And then from there you can post a link in a thread and your picture will show.

You have to do a search here and get the current instructions and use them. It's not too hard and once you've done it, it will be like riding a bike, you'll never forget.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

StorminN

Quote from: shinnlinger on June 14, 2009, 09:15:56 PM
HI,  Trying the photo thing again and this is what happened when I tried to download coppermine.

Fatal error: mkdir(/mnt/125/sda/e/5/etienne.sf/wiki/data/locks/dd0b9df3751229c832ce03c9afe0a22b) [<a href='function.mkdir'>function.mkdir</a>]: File exists in /mnt/125/sda/e/5/etienne.sf/wiki/inc/io.php on line 304

Where is this firefox?  I don't see a link on the Juploader....

Hey Shinnlinger,

Firefox is a browser, same as Safari or Microsoft Internet Imploder... you can download FireFox here:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html

If you're still having trouble with the Mac and picture resizing / uploading, PM me or give me a call, I'll talk you through it...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Hilltop366

I insulated my roof this way,

decked the frame with 1x6 pine
put poly over decking to keep it dry
added a layer of 1 1/2” SM blue foam
starting from one edge (this edge was up against a wall) put a 2 x 8  on each side of the  roof held together at the peak with thin galv sheet metal and toe nailed to the purlins
then added a row of 6” thick white foam block 24” wide ( they are marketed as wharf or raft blocks)
then another set of 2x8s and white foam until done
covered over with 1x6 t&g spruce and ash-fault shingles
doing it this way I was able to only have to cut one row of the 6” foam blocks and have a air gap between the insulation and outer roof decking
had to use boards instead of plywood because the 2x8s were not at any spacing that would allow plywood to do that I would have to cut every 6” block to 22 1/2”
not to mention that i wanted to use boards because sheets of plywood & strong winds & roofs don’t mix well

PS     I had no luck with photos using safari and no prob with firefox

shinnlinger

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/16762/1665/backroof.jpg

Well well,  I tried to download again and this time I got one to work.  THe other one said I had an eof error in the header or something... PRogress???
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

Hi, here you can see the shelf I built along the bottom to rest the panels in and I then fastened 2x4's over  3 foam panels (staggered) with 11" screws into the purlins,  Worked well and went fast.  I have since strapped horizontally over the 2x and will screw ribbed roofing to that.
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

Hi,

Here is a pic of the front with the homemade panels.  3 two inch panels (6 inches total) with staggered seams pinned through the roof sheathing to the purlins with 11"panel screws through a 2x4 running vertically and then horizontal strapping every 2 ft to screw ribbed roofing to.  All the foam has been applied since this photo and the steel roofing should be here tomorrow.

I am pleased with this approach as it went fast and I didn't need a crane.  It is quite solid and should have the same R as a 6 inch Sips (same polyiso) Using the recycled foam it was also pretty cheap but even new foam would have been WAY less than Sips .
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!