iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

swing mill comparisions

Started by Reclaimed, May 25, 2009, 12:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reclaimed

Hi to all,
I have been reading the forum for a while now, due to a suggestion from a friend. But after all of the time reading I still have some questions which I am sure many will have answers or opinions for. :D

I am looking to buy a swing mill and have narrowed my search down to three; Lucas, Peterson, and D & L. I am looking for any thoughts on each, stong points, short comings, and otherwise. I am currently leaning towards a peterson ATS. But at this point I am all ears/eyes. Opinions from operaters say more than the sale pitches.

Thanks,
Reclaimed

scsmith42

Reclaimed, welcome to the forum!  What part of the country are you in? - there may be folks near you that would let you look over their mills.

Everything that I have heard about all three is positive.  I have a Peterson 10" WPF, and in general have been satisfied.  My biggest complaint is that it bounces up and down quite a bit when I make a deep vertical cut (5" - 10"), and I have to go extremely slow on those cuts. 

When I bought it (2005), the positives of it versus the Lucas was that the WPF was totally mfg from alumimun and stainless, and it was easier to double cut with the Peterson versus the Lucas (I doublecut frequently). 

Get the most HP that you can.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Part_Timer

Welcome to the forum.

I have a Peterson 25hp 8" ATS and like it a lot.  There is a bit of bounce when I make a 8" vertical cut in white oak but there is a kit to take the bounce out.  Once it is on there you can cut as fast as you want without any bounce.
     If you can get over to sawlex and run them you should.  I went to a show ran the Lucus and the Peterson went home and ordered the ATS.

It is much easier to double cut with a Peterson if you need wide boards.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Reclaimed

It looks like I forgot a little info in early hours. I plan to saw mostly pine and douglas fir. I am working with a timber chipper who is currently on a job removing 10,000 acres of russian olive trees. Some are over 30" at the stump. Probably make some real nice slabs.

I plan to utilize some of this material in my own cabinet shop.

I am located in central Montana just north of Yellowstone. If anybody has one nearby I would love to see and operate it.

Reclaimed

Fla._Deadheader

For wide stuff, be sure to get a slabber bar with whatever you buy. The sky is the limit on cutting, when you have the swinger and slabber attachment.

I have an older Peterson 8" WPF. It is heavier than the ATS or Lucas, and doesn't bounce AS BAD as those two. Mine only has 20 HP. Could use 35 ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

Reclaimed
Welcome to the forum.

That sounds like quite a job, removing the Russian olive.
Can you tell us more about the reclamation project and post some pics?  We like pics and would be interested in what you are doing with this big project.

What is replacing the Russian olive after removal?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reclaimed

This R. O. project is for the Fish & Game. The tree is considered an invasive weed and taking over in this particular area. I believe it will be reseeded into grass, in addition to some local hardwood species. As for pics, have been out to the site yet.
The timber is currently being chipped into hog fuel for a couple area mill. I am hoping to get just a potion of it becouse there is no physical way for me to mill all that could be available. Plus due to its location from me shipping would be a killer. I plan on slabbing most of it and letting it air dry. Then trying to resale it to furniture and cabinet makers.
Reclaimed

Ianab

Sounds like a job where a Swingmill with a slabbing attachment would certainly work well.

I am a fan of the Peterson mills, the ATS will certainly do what you want.

The Lucas is a very similar design top the AT, works on the same principle, so no problems there.

I'm not familiar with the D&L, we dont see them in this part of the world.

The idea of the ATS and Lucas is that you can drag them into all sorts of out of the way places on a pickup, trailer, farm tractor, ATV  etc and set them up around BIG logs. Break them down and haul out the boards or slabs.

30"+ logs are no worries at all. With normal milling the log never moves. You can set up around a large log laying on the ground. If you have smaller logs and machinery, then you can set up a makeshift log deck and load logs under the mill.  Bigger log I have milled were up around 48" at the stump, you just start at the top and keep making boards.  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ErikC

The Peterson WPF does the cutting around here. I like it a lot, there are no major complaints from me. It is a manual mill, and without a tractor of some sort It is far less pleasing to run. But you can do it even on big logs, and all manual mills can't say that realistically.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

woodsteach

Ok since I have one of the few Brand X's I'll chime in.  If you are doing double cutting I believe his mill is the easiest.

First check out the Brand X mills since you are basically neighbors to Jay Brand (the owner) who is up in Condon, MT.  www.brandxsawmills.com

woodsteach

Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

urbanlumberinc

Be sure to seal those ends really well.  Russian Olive is nice looking stuff for sure, but vulnerable to all kinds of warping and checking if it's not end sealed and stacked properly.  I'm running a Lucas 830 and have nothing but good things to say about it so far.  No matter what you go with be sure to invest in a good set of dogs and cut yourself some good dunnage to work on.  Good luck with the project.

okie

Happy Lucas 618 owner. Wish I had an 8" model though. I reckon all of the reputable sawmills are good or they would'nt be in business, you just got to find one that suits your needs. I really like the swing mill and think you will too 8). Short of trying each brand out, it will be hard to decide exactly which one you would like the best. There are things about my mill I wish I could change, but I can show up at nearly any site and be making lumber quickly and accurately usually in less than half an hour set up time.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

hogs4hobby

i have run lucas 618 & now i have a lucas 1030. they are the only swingers I have milled with. both have been great mills.

Reclaimed

It is nice to get the opinions of experienced millers. I can see that the peterson mill is well liked.

As for the gentalman with BrandX. I like the double cut featrue on this milling but wasn't so sure about the portability.

To add to the original question is how many of these mills are fixed at a location and how many are actually moved to different sites?

Reclaimed

ErikC

I move mine all over the place. With a helper who has done it before it's an easy 1/2 hour set up, less to pack up and go. I can do it alone but it's easier with help. Peterson WPF  by the way.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to the forum Reclamed  ;) ;D 8) it sounds like you have alot of work lined up for you and your new swinger whichever way you go Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

With choise it will come down to what mill you feel is a good fit for you  ;D wether that be based on price , ergonomics or just where n how its built mate  ;) im a Lucas man myself ive done thousands of hrs on them over the years  ;) ive only had my 97 mod 8-20 since mid dec and its been doing a bloody good job also they are built about 100 miles from me and they work well on the stuff im milling with it at the moment  ;) ;D 8) 8)

I was thinking off upgading to a Peterson Wpf later on  ;) as i think they are a good well made mill like the lucas but i like the single point sizing on them as it would speed things up a little  ;) ;D 8) and i had goten a swing on one of my mates old 94 mod i think  ???about 10 yrs ago for afew days and loved it  ;D ;D 8) 8)

With the Brand Xs they look a good mill from their website with afew options and they are built in the U.S which might make a difference to you mate  ;) ;D plus Dad likes the look of em and thats sayn something mate  ;) :D :D ;D 8)

With the three choises you have narrowed it down to you well on the rite track mate as they will all do a Top job for You that being said if your planning on doing alot of slabbing they ar all on pretty much a level playn feild   ;)

Good Luck Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris   
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Chris,do you solder new bits on yourself or send the swing blades out for retipping??Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

(edit)

Frank Ive just gotten my Uncles who own a large sawshop The Edge in Bendigo (You cant Kep Us McMahons away from saws  ;) :D :D ) about 20 miles away  to do them for me in the past ive done my own  ;) but you could say im still only learning and pluss im preeddy fussy Mate  ;) :D :D
They also do the Edge equine horse dentistry tools if you have heard off them that they export to the U.S, Europe , Asia and Pommy land  ;) which keeps them pretty buisy  ive had to wait on a couple off saws from them even tho they have about 4 blokes workn for em  :o :) ::)
that brings me around to the fact that Dads being saying that we should just buy the retipping jig and do them ourselfs in the shed at home here so i reckon we will be heading that way in the near future Mate  ;) ;D ;D

Reguards Chris

Reclaimed

Is retipping these blades a major project or do the jigs simplify the project? I am pretty hand with that stuff but its a pain I have a good sharpener to send it to.

Reclaimed

ErikC

Chris, Edge makes a line of horseshoeing tools, is that your uncles as well?

ErikC

The re-tipping is pretty easy. I use needlenose pliers, don't have a jig. I think it would help to have one though. There is a pretty big thread about that from a few months back.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Erik I think they mainly do the horse dentistry stuff but ill ask as they build/sell alot off different things for the horse industry  ;) they are making horse head holders atm for vetinary students to autopsys on they are a wild looking bit of kit  :o :) ;) :D :D :D

Reclaimed its not to hard to do em w/o the jig you just need a steady hand Mate but the jigs make it a hell of alot easyer most of the mill makers sell them lucas,s is abot $200 bucks  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Reguards Chris

magone

I am located in Mt and have a Lucas 618 with the slabbing attachment.  Where are you located?  If you have any questions that you need answered get back to me and I can answer some of them for you.  I can also give you my email and if you want you could come kick the tires on my mill. 

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to the Forum Magone   ;D you have come the rite place your second post and your already ofering to help people out Mate   ;) ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Reguards Chris

Thank You Sponsors!