iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price per board

Started by Joe Lallande, May 22, 2009, 06:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Lallande

I have read several posts on how to figure price per board feet which to me is simple.  I now have my Belsaw mill running with a 40" blade and my first customer wanted to pay me per board because he did not understand the bf price.  I cut random widths for him and lots of 4" trim pieces all 8' long. He counted all the cut wood and gave me $3.00 per piece.  Please advise, I have my wife to explain this to.

Papa1stuff

Were they his logs or yours?
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

ladylake

Sounds like you did good unless your were cutting lots of really wide boards.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beenthere

Joe
How many bd ft were sold?
And what did you get per bd ft?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

You could use a price per board, but vary the price for the different width.  For example, if you're sawing price is 25¢/bf and you are sawing 8' stock, then a 4" board would be priced at 67¢,6" at $1, 8" at $1.35.  Or you can figure what the average board width is and go from there. 

If you're selling boards from your stock, you just raise the base price from 25¢ to whatever you're charging. 

To explain to your wife, just take the average footage per piece, then divide it by the board foot to come up with a price/bf.  Either that or take her out for supper, whichever is the path of least resistance.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Papa1stuff

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on May 22, 2009, 01:16:46 PM
To explain to your wife, just take the average footage per piece, then divide it by the board foot to come up with a price/bf.  Either that or take her out for supper, whichever is the path of least resistance.   ;)
smiley_biggrin01
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

woodmills1

take her out to a fancy place while you explain............... :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

critter

At 38 cents a board foot every board would have to be a

1x12 to worth 3.00 think you got best end of the deal

bandmiller2

Joe glad your up and running,I figure the board feet in my mind and they can call it what they want as long as I get my price.I don't know about outhers but we have sort of a sliding price scale.If a guy showes up with a new Silverado dual and wants stable lumber he usally pays a little more than poor joe muff that wants to repair his chicken house.what mommy really wants to know is are you making money.Every so often take her out to supper and tell her the mill is buying.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!