iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used motor oil wood stain

Started by Joe Lallande, May 22, 2009, 06:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Lallande

Is there a way to mix used motor oil with a thinner to produce a cheap wood  stain?  I slab my own wood for free and now have to pay over $50.00 a gallon for wood stain. Thank you, Joe Lallande Alpena, MI.

Dana

Diesel fuel would be a cheap and compatible with oil thinner.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

woodmills1

uncle larrry's walnut stain

5 gal diesel
1/2 gallon boiled linseed oil
1/2 gal non fibered roofing tar

the tar gives the color and the diesel evaporates away
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ironwood

Used motor oil (gas engine) has a TON of heavy metals and other toxic contaminants from all the fuel burned and such. Perhaps diesel used oil would be better. I used to undercoat my cars w/ used until I was enlightened by a friend.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Polly

back in the 40s the school i attended would use motor oil to treat the wood floods they would put it on when school let out in the spring and by fall it would be soaked in , i use it to treat my wood wagon and trailer floors , also used transmission fluid is good to treat wood flooring it to will leave a light black stain  :) :) please dont mention to uncle sam ,he would rather see me pay 20 dollars a gallon at local box store to help the ecomy  :-X :-X :-X :)

Gary_C

I have treated the deck boards on my trailer with used motor oil many times. And used hydraulic oil too.

But not really on purpose.  ::)

:D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

woodmills1

I have also seen new pine trated with new motor oil, it looked all nice and shiny yellow
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Night Raider

I've wondered about treating wood with used motor oil mixed with a bit of gas to help it penetrate, this would be just for rot resistance, (nothing like a deck, just posts, bridge etc...) because I'm having a hard time finding pressure treated trees to mill.  Maybe I'll try a 2X6 and see how it works.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bandmiller2

We always called it Maine stain.Most of the commercial stains are mineral spirits and coloring, can't get the good stuff anymore.It work but better if not close to folks, children and pets.You can even get fancy and add coloring and thin a little with diesel.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Tim L

around here we call it "Detroit black" stain.
Do the best you can and don't look back

Radar67

Since you already mentioned a thinner, just mix non-fibered roofing tar with the thinner to get the desired tint. I used to use this on craft projects and it worked really well. Stat with a small amount of roofing and continue to add until it gets to where you like it.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SPIKER

just dont add any matches or open flames :)

works well on trailer decks as long as it aint raining/snowing when ya try to walk on it...
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

splitter

Sprayed a building of mine once with a motorized back spray mist blower, mixed burnt motor oil and kerosine. It was in the hot summer months the boards soaked it up like a sponge. Looked good and the carpenter bees stayed away. Didn't take very long with a mist blower. I guess a garden spray could be used. Splitter

woodmills1

I have done uncle larrys mix with a hand pressure garden sprayer

ohsoloco

I'll have to try that, woodmills1.  The house is in need of another coat of Uncle Larry's stain.  It was easy when the siding was lying on sawhorses, and I could just roll it on with a paint roller  ;)  Problem is, it's so thin that it wouldn't work too well now that it's vertical.

For those that haven't seen it before....my white pine siding with Uncle Larry's:

arojay

I think you will find that any waste motor oil is considered carcinogenic.  Contact with exposed skin etc. should be minimized.  I know a guy who used salvaged transformer oil to stain some locally milled pine for a feature wall in his living room, about 25 or 30 years ago.  We used to spray bar it on roads and work yards for dust control.  Who knew?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Stephen1

The only way to put on any type of stain is with the "garden type sprayer" and a brush to back brush the sprayed on stain. I can do the whole cabin on an hour with someone moving the ladder for me. I use a car wash brush which  is nice and soft, the best type of sprayer so far is one with a brass tip on the end of the wand.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

beenthere

arojay
I think waste motor oil and what used to be transformer oil are two completely different hazards.
I think the transformer oil had PCB problems.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scgargoyle

These various home-brewed stains and preservatives- do they help resist termites and rot, or are they just for looks? Here in the Deep South, the termites will walk off with anything short of iron.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

arojay

Indeed, there is a difference between transformer and waste motor oils, but both have their distinct health risks
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

ohsoloco

Quote from: scgargoyle on June 04, 2009, 03:52:18 PM
These various home-brewed stains and preservatives- do they help resist termites and rot, or are they just for looks? Here in the Deep South, the termites will walk off with anything short of iron.

It only took about a year before the carpenter bees started in on the 3-1/2" thick window casing  :(  The window sills are already starting to look a little tired.  I don't really want to, but I may need to cover them with aluminum  :-\

woodmills1

don't know about southern termites, but no bugs so far here and my boards are close to dirt.

Woodchuck53

Evening all. With any of the mentioned stains, would it start to smell like an old service garage from the 50/60's? The diesel mix should have. I have bought on occasion fresh crude and sprayed with a garden sprayer on barns and fences. It doesn't stink and you can darken with extra coats. The barn is 25 years old (white pine) and still looks good. Does well on my red oak trailer floors.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

woodmills1

no smell, as the deisel evaporates

Thank You Sponsors!