iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hate thieves

Started by Darin, May 20, 2009, 04:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMERC

a pike could be had the next time yur out in the woods....
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Don_Papenburg

Modat ,  Make sure that you wash the chipper with lots of bleach then run some branches through the thing to get rid of the bleach smell.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Modat22

:D Thanks Don I've never thought it out quite that far but you are most correct  :o
remember man that thy are dust.

Fla._Deadheader

Ever watch the movie "Fargo" ???  Just be sure to freeze 'em first, in a perfectly PRONE position  ::) ::) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ely

frozen or not it will still make quite the mess :-X

IMERC

use somebody else's chipper...

Raider Bill

I watched a forensic file one time where the husband did this on a bridge in the middle of a snowstorm over a river. In the spring they found one tooth and the return address of a letter that she had in her housecoat when "chipped"
Passerby's wondered why someone would be using a chipper on a bridge during a storm.

He was convicted.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Don_Papenburg

Oh and don't use the bridge ,drive back into the woods a bit so that you do not hold up traffic.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

CHARLIE

Well, I know people get convicted for setting trip lines with shotguns attached or bear traps and such that would maim or kill a theif.......but......I just had an idea.

The banks put some kind of little explosive device in a package of bills and when it goes off, the theif gets covered in a purple dye that won't come off.  So......what if you found out what they use and rig up something that would cover a theif in purple dye.  Wouldn't he be a sight walkin' around town.

Just a thought.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

I like that Charlie.  I like it a lot!  I also think that signs can be effective.  Just imagine that you were a thief, and you encountered a sign beside the driveway of your intended victim with the following verbage:

Attention visitors:  You should be aware that certain steps have been taken to prevent theft on these premises.  There are cameras, but you will not find them.  There are registered markings on all items of value that you will not likely detect.  There are tracking devices concealed within random items, which may, or may not be items of great value.  Your photograph, as well as that of your vehicle and your license plate have already been transmitted to a remote device.

If none of these facts trouble you, welcome to the largest rattlesnake breeding facility in the Southeastern United States.  Our snakes are raised naturally, and have access to all parts of the property.  We are quite sure that you will find the rattlesnake of your dreams in short order, should you choose to do business with us.  Thank you for your patronage.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

baronthered

Well... I usually use electricity if I can. I'm working on building my house as I can and keep my tools in various large steel toolchests. I have them connected to 480 volts on low amperage... and small batteries and inverters inside... I had an electronics major friend at the college make me some deals that tell me if they've been tripped. Works great. haven't lost a tool from thieves for a couple of years. I have lost some to absentmindedness though... >:(
Life's short make fun of it!

Tim L

I worked for a welder once who had a machine stolen.We had a sure shock electric fence charger under the cowl on the next one(just add ground) and the trailer tongue came off with pins.
Do the best you can and don't look back

Modat22

Quote from: CHARLIE on May 27, 2009, 11:45:38 PM
Well, I know people get convicted for setting trip lines with shotguns attached or bear traps and such that would maim or kill a theif.......but......I just had an idea.

The banks put some kind of little explosive device in a package of bills and when it goes off, the theif gets covered in a purple dye that won't come off.  So......what if you found out what they use and rig up something that would cover a theif in purple dye.  Wouldn't he be a sight walkin' around town.

Just a thought.   

The thief would probably sue you because the ink or stain gave him or her a rash.

easymoney

that sign takes too long to read. just a sign stating this property guarded by a pit bull with aids 3 nights a week. guess which ones. :D
a friend was locating some radio equipment at a tower on a hilltop where he was concerned about thieves so he built a false wall at the back of the building with the equipment behind it. then he sat some junk radios in the front with cables going to it. sure enough someone broke in and stole the junk but never discovered the good stuff. biggest loss they destroyed the door getting in.

DanG

A friend of ours has a sign that reads:

My pit bulls can make it to this fence in less than 5 seconds.  Can you?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dodgy Loner

Reminds me of the farmer in South Georgia who kept having watermelons stolen out of his patch.  He put up a sign one afternoon that said "Warning: One of the watermelons in this patch has been poisoned with cyanide".  The next morning, he was pleased to see that all of his watermelons were still there, but when he saw his sign, he realized it had been slightly modified at some point during the night: "Warning: One Now two of the watermelons in this patch has have been poisoned with cyanide."
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

What worked (at least no break-ins after) at our hunting cabin was a sign that read "Your picture has been taken".

I like some of the other ideas tho, for some high voltage wires. ;D ;D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Modat22

I ran (8) 220 volt circuits on #10 wire all the way around the frame of my 12' x 16' building. Each circuit is approx 8 to 12 inches on center up the inside of the wall.

The idea I had at the time was the door is steel and visible by neighbors etc. So I figured a thief would go thru the back wall of the buildiing. If they do, and they use some brute force method I bet they get an exciting experiance.

beenthere

modat22
How did you get 220v on one wire?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Modat22

4 wire romax neutral, ground, phase 1 and phase 2.

Sorry didn't mean to make it sound like 1 wire. I should have said 1 220v circuit per romax or something.

IMERC

Quote from: beenthere on May 28, 2009, 05:50:48 PM
modat22
How did you get 220v on one wire?

sed European electricity...

pineywoods

Update on the video monitor system. Got it installed, 2 cameras (2 more ordered) hooks to an old Dell dedicated pc. Biggest cost was coax cable to run to all the cameras. I'll have about $125 invested in a 4 camera system with motion detect and night vision, less coax. Internet accessable, but I'm still working on that. Things you'd never think about--- spiders crawling across the camera lens , moths are attracted to infrared light, moving shadows of tree limbs waving in the breeze. I'm still learning...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

deutz4

Just read Ironmowers rant against local sheriffs. Not all experiences are bad. About 7 years ago my brother and I were staying at a mom & pop type motel in Grayling because they had kitchettes. We had tools and saws in our pickups for about 5 weeks with no problems. The last week of the job Tim brought along a roll of cash ( about $700 mostly in small bills saved up from bottle returns, pumpkin sales, etc.) The plan was that after we finished the job we would continue south to Frank's in Linwood to buy a depth finder for his new boat. The wad of cash was too big to carry around so he would leave it in the pickup at work and take it into the motel room at night. The very last night we were there he forgot to bring it up to the room. We were leaving the room and looked down to the parking lot and Tim saw his sliding rear window was smashed. He instantly said, "MY MONEY". He had left his two way radio on the dash and we assume that's what attracted the thief in the first place. After breaking the window to get at the radio he checked the glove box and hit the jackpot. The deputy that came out couldn't find any good prints but told us there was a young troublemaker living just down the block that he felt probably did it. We got word a short time later that he had been arrested for something else and Tim's radio had been found. We found out that he went to trial because Tim was notified that he might have to testify. He said what can I testify to except that I saw my broken back window. We heard nothing for at least a year when he received a check from the court for $200. Over the next year he kept getting checks until the total amount that he claimed was returned. Apparently he was paying restitution. All this happened without speaking to the sheriffs dept. again. The funny part was the insurance company gave him about $200 for the cash as part of the settlement so he actually came out a little bit ahead. 

Thank You Sponsors!