iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hate thieves

Started by Darin, May 20, 2009, 04:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin

By the way did I mention that I hated thieves?

The last couple of times that I got a chance to visit the farm in N. East Ky. I find that someone wants "my stuff" more than me. I need some way to store tools and whatnot without having things walk off.

I can get a sea land container (20') from Mobile Mini out of Columbus for $2500.

Does anyone have a better idea or know where I can get something cheaper.

Thanks
Darin

Raider Bill

Oh the joys of abesentee land ownership!

I haven't had that problem.... I have 2 like minded friends that built on my property now so they are there to watch.

I paid $1500 delivered for a 40' shipping container. May want to look around.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

karl

We had a 40'x9'6" h container( most are 8' h) delivered for $2000 a couple years ago, 20' ones were $1200- 1400 at the time.

A serious criminal will get in anyway- MOST padlocks open readily with a stout bar or ball pien "key".

Don't know if it will help in your situation, but we tend to post signage and tell everyone we know and some we don't all about our "surveillance system" and how neat it is to be able to watch our property from any computor, and that it is remarkable how detailed the recorded images are...... ;)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

wi woodcutter

I think that you can get a double barrel 12ga. shot gun for about $300.00
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Ironwood

No solution here, just a note. The LandSea containers are tough/ thin steel that can easily be cut through with torches on remote/ unattended locations.

I dont know what to offer except to say find a "local" where you can stash your 20' land sea container (on an axle) and drag it to the property when you are there. At least you won't have to drag the goods all the way from home.

You could always build a block bunker (fill webs w/ concrete) and a 3/4" plate door w/ internal swing hidden hindges. Dont forget to have a sign warning of an "internal door bladder of gasoline to prevent torching" or " explosion hazard/ caution gasoline fumes present" ::)
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

pineywoods

Dang thieves stole my solar powered driveway lights, set of 12. They must have liked them, came back a week later and got a different set of 4. I'm installing a video monitoring system, internet accessable. Motion detector cameras on shop, mill, and house..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WH_Conley

I'm just across the hill from ya Darin. We probably share some of the same thieves. Can't wait to try out the new (to me) backhoe.
Bill

John Woodworth

No mater what you do they will always find a way, with the courts the way the are are and the way kids are brought up today you can't win.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

rebocardo

Find a monitored key/password storage unit for $100 a month with insurance, which would break even at 25 months for a shipping container. Then buy a trailer and store it in there.

With battery operated grinders, drills, and sawzalls it is very easy to cut through a lock or cut a small hole into a wall and then zip it all the way down to cut open a door.

The "pro" low lifes many times do their break ins during thunder and rain storms because it blocks or mufflers the sound and gives them cover of darkness. Unattended land with a trailer is just easy pickings, especially since they know you keep stuff there.

If you have very valuable  stuff (tractor etc) they will just steal the whole container.

Tom

Sometimes you can find old railroad box cars for the same price, or less, than the containers.  A neighibor of mine has one.  The metal is super thick and the doors slide open, making them difficult to crush or pull open.

The only real option is to take your tools with you, if you can.   Merita Bread bakery has sold a bunch of their step vans to employees here and they are reselling them for about $2000 each.   I bought a Leggs 10 foot step van back in 1988 to carry tools to the property when I was clearing this place.   It worked real good until I was rained in and couldn't get the van off of the property one Sunday.  I went back Monday afternoon to get it and the doors had been pried open and all my stuff was gone.    I don't think you ever win. 

An enclosed trailer that you could haul to the site might be the cheapest way to go.

Modat22

I hear there are alot of used land mines for sale out there.

But really no way to make it totally safe unless you can get it completly out of sight and locked up.
remember man that thy are dust.

Radar67

A little OT, but trap a bobcat and lock him up with your tools. He'll get hungry after a little while and when the thieves open up the container, they'll get a little suprise.  ;) Better yet, get you a black bear.  :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

That sounds like a fun solution, but getting to your own tools could be challenging. :o :D

I go along with Ironwood, Rebo and Tom.  Put your stuff in a portable container of some kind and leave it at a nearby secure location.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

When I first started building I bought a 12ga spring loaded booby trap and put a pepper spray cartridge in it. Strung a fishing line across the floor of my container but for better or worst nobody tested it. :D

easymoney

i think it is against t he law to set a trap fot thieves.that does not sound right but i have heard of it costing people big time when a thief was caught in a booby trap.

Darin

I'm just across the hill from ya Darin. We probably share some of the same thieves

Hey WH,
If its all the same to you, you can just be selfish here. I don't think you should be sharing. :D

beenthere

:D :D

Reminds me of the sign "Free Lunch next door"   ;D ;D

..maybe somthin like it hangin on his  your shed  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Quote from: easymoney on May 21, 2009, 07:39:15 PM
i think it is against t he law to set a trap fot thieves.that does not sound right but i have heard of it costing people big time when a thief was caught in a booby trap.

I believe that's true if the trap can cause serious injury. Mine would have just gave someone a snoot full of pepper.
I did wonder if it had been tripped if I would have pepper residue on all my tools. :o

stonebroke

tis better to have your tools with pepper on them then not to have them at all.

Stonebroke

Don_Papenburg

My brother gets the big hardened shakle padlocks and makes eyebolts out of SS then welds over them with a hard surface rod .  that makes a mess of the universal key  or hacksaw and make it very tough to torch it. He has several with tooth marks.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ironmower

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 22, 2009, 11:52:53 AM

I believe that's true if the trap can cause serious injury. Mine would have just gave someone a snoot full of pepper.
I did wonder if it had been tripped if I would have pepper residue on all my tools. :o
What a shame, when deadbeat thieves have more rights than you. Until we (as a country) get our heads out of our @$$es it will only get worse. Personally I've lost ALL faith in my local sheriffs department, startin too believe they're just as much of the problem, as the thieves. WE really need to make the "prisons" start the chain gangs, road clean-ups and public works programs again! ;) All thats right, some how those low-lifes have more rights than me! While us TAX payin citizens have to support them. Take their gym, shops and schooling from them and PUT them too WORK. It costs what, about $35,000 A-YEAR for their keep. Most of them like their free ride. They call it; 3 hots and a cot. WORK is what they are tryin' too avoid. If we would do so, I'm positive the prison population would dwindle..........I'm in the works of startin a local organization called W.C.P (Workin' Class People) cuz, it's time to TAKE it BACK!!!!!!!!
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

D._Frederick

You don't have to be out in the hills to get ripped off, I had a flat last fall and while I was sitting in the waiting room the  tire crew lifted about $150 of tools out of the trunk. I didn't find them missing for over a month, by then couldn't prove nothing. They where the only people that had the trunk open when neither the wife or I were present.

blame

Quote from: D._Frederick on May 23, 2009, 11:59:39 PM
You don't have to be out in the hills to get ripped off, I had a flat last fall and while I was sitting in the waiting room the  tire crew lifted about $150 of tools out of the trunk. I didn't find them missing for over a month, by then couldn't prove nothing. They where the only people that had the trunk open when neither the wife or I were present.

*DanG! I'm going to have agree with Ironmower this country really has took a down slide.

Modat22

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 22, 2009, 11:52:53 AM

As long as it involves a wood chipper and hog feed you would probably be ok.
remember man that thy are dust.

DR_Buck

And the worst part of it all is the inflated prices of ammunition.   ;)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!