iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Looking Decking

Started by Victor, May 18, 2009, 03:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor

I am building a timberframe structure and will be putting a roof on soon. I plan to fabricate in place my own SIP for the roof. I want to nail 1" by 8" T&G boards to the rafters, a layer of 2" thick Tuff-R foil faced rigid foam insulation and then 1" by 8" rough SPF as roof sheathing.

What is the best looking T&G 1" by 8"?  I am thinking of cedar or Pacific Cypress.

Thanks.

witterbound

I know you didn't ask, but 2" of insulation doesn't sound like enough to me. 

Jasperfield

The insulation may be similar to what I've used; Which is PS-2. It's 2" thick foam faced on both sides with foil. It's R-value is almost 50.

Rooster

I've used Poplar T&G in random widths (4",5",6")....stained or sealed...looks clean!!!

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

moonhill

2" of insulation at R-50 doesn't sound right.  The foil face needs an air space and even then I am a skeptic.  How are you heating the building and does it heat easy? 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Victor

The insulation is 2.25" thick and has an R value of 15. The structure is intended as non-living space, sort of like a summer porch. I thought I would put a little insulation in so as to prevent heat from entering through the roof in the summer sun.

So what should I make the roof deck resting on the rafters out of? I will see them when I am inside looking up. What looks the best? Thanks.

ARKANSAWYER

Eastern red cedar is pretty.  I also like Knotty Southern Yellow Pine.  Take a white oil base paint and cut it in half with thinner and it will put a white pickle effect so you can still see the grain but it lightens it up a bit.
ARKANSAWYER

Victor

Arkansawyer,

That is a beautiful roof! It is aromatic too and will keep insects away right? Thanks for the painting tip too.

Victor

ARKANSAWYER

Yea the roof smells good.  I do not notice it so much any more.
  Floor looks even better.

Here the big thing lately is to get old tin and wash it then put the white pickle finish on it then put it up for the ceiling.  Looks pretty cool and a good way to recycle old tin.
ARKANSAWYER

Jasperfield

I believe the R-value is closer to 48. I don't recall the brand / trade name. (I've got some left over down the mountain in one of the barns.) This is not your run-of-the-mill foil sided insulation. I heat the building with a wood stove and it stays warm.

Thank You Sponsors!