iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heli Logging

Started by florida, May 17, 2009, 08:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

I've watched this show about 3 times now and am ready to get started!  During the second show the announcer commented several times about how the 52 logs the 3 guys were cutting in the next 2 days were worth $250,000.00!  That's almost $5 grand a log! I never knew there was so much money in logging! To think of all these years I've wasted in construction. I'm getting me a helimochopper  and a saw and heading for Washington. Shoot, I may have some trees in my yard worth $7, $8 grand each!
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Fla._Deadheader

There is a guy that goes around, in Florida, buying BIG Cypress beams or the logs to make them. A 24" square Cypress beam IS big buxx. Don't know all the details, but, had a GOOD candidate that we had to leave in the River. It would have squared 18" X 20' or so.  Couldn't pull it loose. ???  Believe me, we tried. It's probably still sticking out of the water. ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SPIKER

anyone heard what happened to S&S AQUA logging????

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

florida

We used to have a hunting lease in south Florida that was about 10,000 acres. it was covered with cypress heads but they had all been logged in the 1930's and later in the 50's so the trees weren't real big. Some of the old stumps were huge and must have carried trees that were 5 or 6 through. I was walking way back in the cypress one day and came across a real small head, only 3 cypress trees in it but they had obviously been missed by the loggers. 3 of us couldn't link hands around the trees 8 feet off the ground. And before anyone asks how we got to 8 feet to try I 'll tell you. Ferns and smaller trees grow on these big cypresses at the high water line. On old trees you can climb up and stand on them.  Last year I went down to see these old trees and sad to say that the biggest had heart rot and had fallen over. I've got a picture somewhere. You could have made a big beam out of that tree!
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Fla._Deadheader

We heard about a few in the river that would be that size. Different part of the river than where we were leased.

Wife passed away and we gave up the fortune we were making  ::) and I moved down here.

Have thought about that project many times since then.  ::) ::) ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!