iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Programming WM Accuset 2 - pattern mode

Started by Bibbyman, May 17, 2009, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Here is a step by step instruction on how to program the "pattern" mode on the Accuset 2.   

We will program pattern #1.   When we start,  it is programmed to 1-1/4" all the way to the deck.  When we're done,  we will have it programmed to saw 1-1/8" boards down to 6-1/8".  (We are sawing grade lumber off the sides of a log to make a beam 6-1/8" thick.)

Power up the Accuset in accessory mode. (It can be done while engine is running too but why waste fuel?)

Start by pressing the "Pattern" button.

We will be programming the pattern #1 - Note it's now set to 1-1/4" all the way to the bed.

Press the "Pattern" button again and you will see that the top number in the display reverses color - that is, turns to a black background.  That means this setting is ready to be changed.

I then use the up/down arrows to change the setting.  In this case,  I'm changing it from 1-1/4" to 1-1/8".

By pressing the "Pattern" button again, all six setting will change to be the same as the one above.  In this case,  they changed from 1-1/4" to 1-1/8".

Push the "Pattern" button until the bottom setting is "reversed immaged" and ready to modify.  Then use the up/down arrows to adjust the setting to, in this case, 6-1/8".

Now we have to "save" the pattern.  Press the manual button.

Press the up arrow to get the configuration menu.

Press "Save" twice and you've got Patter # 1 programmed.

Now when you poke the "Pattern" mode button, the #1 program will make 1-1/8" drops (plus kerf) down to 6-1/8". 

Now you have 15 other pattern mode program memory positions you can program.  It's done the same way except you have to go to one of those numbers once you first press the "pattern" button.    We often saw 4/4 grade off of 7x9 ties and have two patterns programmed – one for 1-1/8" down to 7 and another 1-1/8" down to 9.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sgschwend

Anybody ever heard of or have put an Accuset on a different brand mill?

I would be interested in seeing a schematic.  I  assume their is a device that measures the position of the saw.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

backwoods sawyer

A series of pictures is worth a thousand words. Thanks Bibbyman.

It uses a transducer rod to track the head position, with a little of patients and some good electrical skills, sure it is do able. You could also use a tempo cylinder, or an indexing screw drive to track the height. Then just interface the computer set works with it.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

moosehunter

Thanks Bibby, I was trying to get my program memorized yesterday and was not succesfull. Your pics will help! ( I didn't have any problems with the original accuset)

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

woodmills1

thanks  looks like the screen but slight differences for the original accuset, like not shaded for setting has  < instead.

Am I correct from my reading that on pattern mode the original accuset does not include kerf?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

MartyParsons

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Hi-Country Orange

what do you suppose a guy should do with an old accuset
that was functioning fine before i updated ??

Bibbyman

Quote from: woodmills1 on May 18, 2009, 09:16:29 PM
thanks  looks like the screen but slight differences for the original accuset, like not shaded for setting has  < instead.

Am I correct from my reading that on pattern mode the original accuset does not include kerf?

Old Accuset and Accuset 2 always included kerf.  If it's not, then the kerf setting is at 0.00.

I think the Simple Setworks didn't include kerf.  Maybe that's what you're thinking?
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Quote from: Hi-Country Orange on May 18, 2009, 09:28:06 PM
what do you suppose a guy should do with an old accuset
that was functioning fine before i updated ??

I just gave it back to the local Wood-Mizer service center.  I figure maybe some parts can be handed down to someone that needs to repair and old Accuset.  I had no use for them as I'll never go back.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

ok I just reread the section  "....remember to include the kerf....if you want 1" set the increment to 1 1/8"....."   

but later at the end of the paragraph   "The accuset can be programmed with an automatic kerf setting if desired"

If all goes well I should have enough leftover time today to finish the service on the mill. Then, set the accuset to 12" and try a pattern program and cut.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

MartyParsons

Old Accusets should be discarded. I have seen them on E-bay.  ::) There will be no parts available for Accuset 1. The new Simple Setworks does not have a kerf setting. You add the kerf to the drop desired. The old Set works did have kerf setting and you can change them if needed.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bibbyman

Thanks Marty for clearing all that up.

If you want to set the kerf...

I think they suggest setting the kerf at twice the blade thickness – thus, .045 blade would set at .090 and .055 would be .110.   To be exact, you'd have to figure in the blade thickness and blade set.  We set ours at .100 and figured that was close enough.

Once the kerf is set and saved, you only need to program in the thickness of board you want - vs. the board thickness + kerf.

The problem with thinking you can just buy an old Accuset 1 and install it is that you won't get nearly all the components you need as some are still used when the Accuset 2 is installed.  What you'll have is an incomplete pile of parts, no sorce for replacement parts, etc.

Also,  there is not just one Accuset configuration.  There are many variables by date and model of mill – even engine options, etc.  So even if you took all the parts off my mill and put it on your mill, it probably would not work without some reconfiguration. 

You'd be far and away better off just getting the Accuset 2 upgrade kit.  That way you have factory support and warrantee.

The very best way to get an Accuset 2 is to buy a new mill!  ;)
Sawing since '94

sgschwend

I found on the Wood-Mizer site a price for a used encoder tube it was approximately $500.  I didn't see an Accuset 2 replacement kit.  Is there such a thing?
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Bibbyman

Sparks posted this in the Wood-Mizer section last February.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,36205.0.html

I didn't see it listed on the WM web site.  I'll keep looking.  Maybe Sparks or Marty can come on and let us know.
Sawing since '94

ronwood

Marty,

I spoke with tech support at Indy and they indicated that the new simple setworks compensates for the blade kerf.

Have you operated a mill with new simple set works?
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

sparks

Hi country.....The old Accuset is not servicable and should be smashed and throne away.   
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

sparks

ronwood......Simple Set does not compensate for kerf. You have to add the kerf the the thickmess you program in. If you want a 1" board and you run a .045 blade with .025 set you want to program in about 1-1/8".   Thanks

If your mill has the old Setworks you can upgrade it to Accuset 2 for about $2100.00 for a remote mill and about $1799.00 for a non-remote.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

ronwood

Sparks,

Thanks for the clarification.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Bibbyman

Everyone using their Accuset 2 Pattern mode? 

Here is a trick I've stumbled onto after installing the upgrade to Accuset 2.   That is,  I most often just program and use Pattern #1.  It's the default pattern when you poke the pattern mode button so it's the fastest to get to – no additional poking required.   

When we saw 7x9s,  I program 1-1/8" down to 7" on Pattern #1 and 1-1/8" down to 9" on Pattern #2. 

When we saw something else – say 6x8 beams,  I reprogram Pattern #1 and #2.   Sure there are 16 sets that can be programmed and saved but having to cycle through to get to them takes time and I sometimes make a mistake.  It's so quick and easy to program I just find it works better to reprogram #1 and #2 when required.

We have a few patterns set and saved to like 3" all the way down and 4" all the way down.  We saw some blocking out of junk cants so when we get one on the mill, we'll often saw them down to 3x4s and get them off the mill.  Some are good enough to market and some we cut up for our own use.  The rest is racked up until winter when it's made into firewood. 
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

my accuset seems to work very well why would I have to smash it?

DR_Buck

I don't use my Accuset 2 much for patterns.  But, I do use it all the time.  It's my main sawing mode.   I programmed all 16 of the presets for the common sizes I normally saw.  

Button 1 is  - 1" - 1 1/16" - 1 1/8" - 1 1/4"
Button 2 is  - 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" - 2" - 2 1/2"
Button 3 is  - 1 5/8" - 3 5/8" - 5 5/8" - 7 5/8"   ---- These are for sawing "store bought" size 2 by's
Button 4 is  - 3" - 4" -  6" -  8"

This has really reduced my sawing times and gets me home faster.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Bibbyman

DR,  how would you saw say 2x6s using the pattern mode?

Here is how we do it.  (Given a log say 12" dia.)

We have one Pattern programmed to 1-5/8" (what we almost always saw our 2x lumber to unless otherwise told something specific) all the way down to bed.

Then we program Pattern #5 to 1-5/8" down to 6" (we always saw to full width unless otherwise told).

We level the log on the mill and make a 6" opening face.  Turn 90,  level the log, make another 6" face.  Turn 90.  Got to Pattern #1 and drop the blade to test where it's going to make a cut.  If not deep enough to make a 6" face, we'll try the next pattern.  Make the cut.  Turn the the last face and go to the other pattern and take that slab off.  Then we go to the Pattern #5 and take boards off each side until the cant is 6" thick.  We then turn the cant up and saw all the way to the bad on Pattern #1. 

Here is a link to something I put in the Knowledge base some time about about using the Accuset.  It has some pictures.

https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?display:1048179042-18739.txt
Sawing since '94

backwoods sawyer

I cut 2x4 and 2x6 the same way as you described Bibbyman, but for larger logs that give multiple stacks, I have first click under #3 set up with all 1 5/8 the second click is all 1 5/8 with a six on the bottom, the third click has two 6" on the bottom and the forth click is all 6". The four that are under #2 are set up the same way only with 3 5/8" I use the four under #1  for 7/8", 1", 1 ¼" The last one is all 7/8 with 1" on the bottom this is handy for edging so that you can drop to the inch 10-9-8-7- ect. The four under #4 I use for larger stock and when I need to cut something different I will program one of the ones under #4 that is close to what I need so it takes less time to program. I also have the auto up down programmed with the common sizes, another time saver. I find the more you use the accuset the more time you save.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

DR_Buck

QuoteDR,  how would you saw say 2x6s using the pattern mode?

For a "store bought" 2x6 I open the first face to be at least 6" using manual down.  Flip the cant 90° and do the same.  Flip 90° again and use button 3 at either 1 5/8" or 5 5/8" depending on log diameter and what looks like the most yield.   I normally try to get the 5 5/8" size first.   Then I flip the cant so the 5 5/8" side is horizontal with the last edge up.   Sometimes two of them side by side.  Then I saw thru.   Depending on wood stress or tension I may flip the cant(s) 180° every few boards.   For a real 2x6 I do the same just using the other button presets.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Bibbyman

Kind of beside the Accuset point of the topic - but we almost always saw dimension lumber like your diagram (and the ones I show on the Knowledge base) – that is with the cant centered.  We try to keep back smaller logs just so this is easier to do.  I feel it always produces better lumber. 

I have seen one sawyer that, even with small logs, will try to get doubles.  He will square out the log and then saw through and through making wide boards and then stand them up on the mill and split them down the middle.  I just cringe.  Most of it looks like it should end up in the slab pile.   Half of it looks like rocker runners with pith on one edge and sap/bark on the other.

Sometimes we have to make – say 2x4s – out of a big log.  We'll still center one cant over the heart and not split it.   Many of the outer 2x4s will have some bow but not as much as they would have had coming from splitting a smaller log down the middle.

Our Auto down/up button #1 is set to 1/2".  The next punch of that button – set #5 is at 1",  one more poke – set #9 is at 3/4" and set # 13 is at 1/4".   Why 1/2",1",3/4", and then 1/4"?  That's because we use the 1/2" drop most often, then the 1" and so on.

We use these when we make a too shallow face cut and need to make another cut.  Often Mary is offbearing and is closer to the "face".  She'll give me a signal in "fingers" of how many quarters to take off.  Sometimes we are sawing long butt cut logs and can get a 1x6 by 8' from the flare. 
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!