iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving Planner

Started by Stephen1, May 17, 2009, 08:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

hey Guys, I have bought this planer off York. I plan on picking it up on the way home from Sawlex. My question is, How do I secure it in the back of my pick-up truck. the weight is supposed to be 900lbs. The truck will carry it, it is the securing that is got me wondering. I have 4 small tie downs in each corner of the truck, a toyota tundra. any ideas?

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

DanG

I'd get a couple of those big yellow trucker straps and secure it to the truck frame.  Put one around the front of it and fasten it to the back bumper.  Put the other around the back of the planer and run them down between the cab and the bed to the frame.  You don't want to wear that thing around your neck in case of a sudden stop.  At least the wind ain't gonna blow it out. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

What about taking the bed extensions off so it can be laid on its side  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

I think I would make sure I had the bed covered in wood or rubber to create a non-skid surface for it to sit, then get some heavy straps and secure it to the corners.

My Honda Rincon wet weight is over 700lbs and its on wheels  and I simply secure it 4 ways to haul on a flat trailer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gary_C

I would not haul that thing upright without building a wider and longer base and bolt that planner down to the base. That's too small of a base to just strap it down as it is. Then you could strap it down to the bed with straps over the top.

Make darn sure you have at least what the DOT requires for tiedowns as that thing will be plainly visible.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tree tech

Hi there, i had the same problem with my truck, in the uk a toyota pick up is called a toyota hi lux, it also came with the useless tie down points! I built 2 new rails and a flat bar  for the rear tail gate, welded up everything, fitted , then removed for galvanising, if you are interested i will post pictures, they are solid, john.

york

Stephen,

Yes,i have been thinking about this too-the dust shroud can come off,plus the in feed and out feed rollers-maybe we could lay it down-this thing is top heavy...

albert
Albert

logwalker

Turn it sideways and put against the cab with a piece of plywood to protect the cab and window. Then a couple straps to the front corners or the frame as DanG suggested and you're good to go. It is easier to keep a tarp around it too if you keep it next to the cab.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

metalspinner

Lowering the table as much as possible will help with the center of gravity.  Not much, but every little bit...

That looks just like my Grizzley. :-\
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Don_Papenburg

In Illinois all cargo must be secured in the truck bed.  Heavy stuff needs secured at four points .  That means four seperate straps . Make sure that the officer can see the straps as you drive by,don't want him to choke on his dougnut.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Stephen1

I like the idea of taking the extensions off and laying it down. I will pull the plastic bed liner out, and put in my rubber mat for the floor of the bed, should help it from sliding. it will be easier to tie it down if it is laying down for sure.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Tree tech

Hi, if you dont have a rear cover , the quickest way secure any load to your truck is my rails! Why would you want to be underneath a truck with ropes and slings? If ur keeping ur truck it will pay in no time!

Ironwood

If you haul frequently, grind the top of the bed bolts (in the floor) and weld on some swivel attatchmnet rings to them. That should give you a REAL holddown point when needed.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Gilman

Since you have a Tundra, I'd order these factor accessories...  ;)  Unfortunately Toyota doesn't offer any spinners.  >:(

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!