iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question aimed toward those of you who grow Christmas Trees.

Started by maestro, May 14, 2009, 09:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maestro

Hey all, I've been silent for a while.  Too much to do and not enough time ever.  Did manage to become an ISA Certified Arborist recently and have been flashing my spiffy card about town.  Few people have contracted me to do some work for them too.  They were going to use me even without the certification but I'd like to think otherwise!  lol.
Long story short, my fiance and I are tossing around the idea of scooping up some property in the Potosi, MO area.  We maintain some hiking trail in that area and want our own little slice of wooded heaven.  The plan is to get 100 +/- acres and eventually put in a cabin (read: cabin...not the log mansions you guys build!) for weekend getaways.  I was thinking that down the line it might be fun to put in a small (5 acres or so) tree plantation and do Christmas Trees.  I'm not looking to make a bunch of money, not a stranger to a hard days work and think I'd really enjoy it.  And since I've been in the floral/nursery industry for 25 years now I have lots of contacts and possible clients to work with.  I'm not asking if you think it's worth it because I already do but more of a how to approach a project like this?  We're really talking a few years before the first tree would even go into the ground, so lots of time to plan.  I've done a lot of web reading and have quite a bit of general information from several Christmas tree organizations and Missouri Dept. of Conservation as well.  I'm curious to hear what someone in the biz would say though. 
Thanks for any info!

Jeff
For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

Jasperfield

Species selection and soil type will be two of your primary considerations. I have grown Christmas trees here on the farm in WNC and am planning on beginning another crop this coming year.

It's a 7-9 year project before realizing any return.

Here, we grow Frasier Fir. I'm at 4100' MSL and face North. I have deep, dark, well drained soil.

You may want to look at the websites of NCSU, and the NC Christmas Tree Growers Association.

Does anyone else in your region grow Christmas trees?

Jasperfield

Thank You Sponsors!