iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

5" and still raining

Started by David Freed, May 13, 2009, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Freed

I work for a farmer between Switz City and Worthington. They have had 5" since this morning and when I left at 4 pm it was still pouring. I live north of Odon (about 11 miles south of work) and we have had 1.3" since this morning. We are supposed to get heavy rain and storms tonight.

Radar67

In the last 60 days, we have had 21 inches of rain. I know a "Noah" flood is not suppose to happen again, but am beginning to wonder.  ::)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Warbird

Wow.  That is an amazing amount of precipitation.  Kinda makes me want to move away from this Arctic desert.

David Freed

Our local tv station says this year had the 3rd wettest April since records started 140 years ago. I hear another storm coming right now.

Less than 10% of the corn crop is planted. A normal year would be 80%.

stonebroke

I guess it is kinda breaking the dought. Send some our way we are getting dry.

Stonmebroke

JV

The only thing planted near us in down in the muck riverbottom.  I need to clean a fencerow and repair some tile ditches before the guys plant.  Also have some new tile to install if the weather and time permits.  Once it drys, they can't stop.  One renter farms around 1200 acres and the other farms probably 1000.  As far as I know neither has anything in the ground yet.  Glad I'm out of the rat race.  With the price of seed, fertilizer, rent, machine costs, adding the stress of bad weather would make for a lot of sleepless nights.   :(
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Kansas

I finally got things rolling on the new house. Someone told me if you want to make it rain, dig a basement. That's what I did. Promptly rained 7 inches in two days. That was close to 3 weeks ago. It finally dried enough for the concrete people to get the footings and walls poured the last two days. I laid out my gravel road just before the rains. There is a 600 foot stretch of gravel thats an absolute mess now. The whole hillside that it curves around came alive with seeps. At least the seeps stopped before it got to the house site. Its kind of embarrassing when the concrete company has to bring a winch truck out.

ScottAR

I was talking to a retired farmer at lunch a few days ago. 
His sons have taken over the farm a few years ago,  3000 acres of
cotton...  He said they got about 1500 acres planted this year
before the rains....
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Faron

Almost nothing done around here. This map indicates a large area getting 3 to 8 inches in the last 24 hours.  Wonder how accurate that is? 
http://www.accuweather.com/radar-large.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipChg=1&site=NE&type=24HR&anim=0&level=regional&large=1
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Norm

We have been wet here but certainly not like you guys to the east of us. We got all of our corn planted by the 24th of April and one small field of beans left to go. Last year we had not started on corn by this date. Much of our land floods easily so hopefully we won't have a repeat of last years rains.

I see the weather service is calling for a chance of frost Saturday night.

Chuck White

Trying to saw around here, I'm fighting the rain most of the time!  :(

Seems to forcast for rain almost every weekend!  :o

Oh well, school will soon be out and then I'll be able to saw during the week!
We only have 27 school days left!  8)

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OneWithWood

Around Unionville we got a good 6" of rain in the last 24hrs.  A lot of it came down in a short period of time.  I need to get out into the woods this afternoon and check to see that my culverts came through intact.  Last June I lost all three of the main culverts.  Hopefully the larger diameter culverts I replaced the originals with will come through better.

Basement flooded yesterday afternoon.  The sump pump I installed failed to come on.  Crawled under the deck on my belly in the oozing, flowing mud to get it going.  Once it started up it was fine but there still was a mess to clean up.

Not how I wanted to start our 20th anniversary celebration evening  :(

After cleaning up we went to dinner in the driving rain.  Went over to the new house, cracked open a bottle of Perrier-Jouet La Fleur and all was good again  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

scgargoyle

Meanwhile, here in FL, we got our first significant rain last night in about 2 months. We've had less than 6" so far THIS YEAR!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

tcsmpsi

Fortunately, here, we seldom have rain that exceeds 2" an hour.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

David Freed

8" by this morning at work. Here at home we only had 3". At least my garden is a swamp and not a lake. :-\

Thank You Sponsors!