iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of Wood is the best for Woodworking in Montana.

Started by just_sawing, May 13, 2009, 12:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I am headed to Montana this Summer with Lumber and since my truck bounces when not loaded I plan to pick up some logs on the trip back. What would be the best?
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

kderby

That might be a goood question!  I am over in Oregon but ..like Montana...most of what I have is softwoods like pine and fir.  I dearly love pine.  I have also learned the truth to the saying, "You never see high end furniture  made out of pine."   

The only hardwood I get is from a homestead being cleared.  Then you have the nails andwire inside scraggled trees planted in the last hundred years.

My vote would be for a big pine log to get milled into a garden bench.  Maybe a rough and tumble fir log for a mantle?  The Forest Service (public land) is a good source of material if you get a firewood permit.

Let's see if you get an answer or ask again and state your end use.  If you want corral poles, Montana has the best.  If you want wood for turning pen blanks.......?

kderby

just_sawing

I was thinking about bringing back Western Cedar. That is something that we definitely do not have to hear in Tennessee. If I was going to bring back pine I would bring back lodgepole there again the only lodgepole we have is what is brought in for log cabin's. The biggest thing is not to drive 2000 miles with a truck that balances on every expansion. I drive a Ford 550 and with a load it is like a Cadillac without a load is like a model T.
since we have some of the best hardwoods around I really am not actually even looking for hardwood.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

beenthere

I'd read up on the rules for transporting wood with bark on across state linew. Not sure there are any restrictions, because things like firewood quarantines are usually only put into affect AFTER an outbreak a disease.
Sort of like closing the barn door AFTER the "horse is out of the barn", so to speak. But you don't want to contribute to transferring some of the devastating tree killers in the west back to the east. There are 'zillions of acres of dead timber in the west.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sgschwend

My vote would be to carry high ring count clear Douglas Fir and Western Larch.  High value material can be cut from that.  If you have the chance perhaps bring back some in cants.  If you get a big boy you will need to quarter the log.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Thank You Sponsors!