iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

corley circular mill.

Started by Ron R., May 13, 2009, 08:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron R.

Good morning to all.....Going to look at a Corley mill this weekend. A few questions though. How is the availability of parts for the corley mill? According to information I have mill carriage will need some rollers replaced. The track will need replacing but supposed to have a good carriage(other than maybe a roller or two replaced) mandrel, two inserted tooth blades, and two 6 cyl. cummins power units. I think the price on package is good if I can get the stuff I need to get it up and going....Thanks for any suggestions and help.                               

Meadows Miller

Gday Ron

The search is still on Mate  ;) Corley builds a nice looking mill but im not sure wether they still stock parts for their older mills it might  be worth visiting their site corleymfg.co and shooting them an email or giving them a call on 423-698-0284 and seeing what the go is mate  ;) ??? :P they are in Chattanooga Tn  ;)
With the rollers/trucks or carriage wheels you might find you wil be able to get them machined down a touch and repack the bearings  otherwise check the setworks , racks n pinions under the knees and the dogs and for wear if they arnt too worn it might be worth a go anyway like afew of the other blokes have said its not too hard to mate it with parts from other makes off mills if spares are needed down the track  ;) ;D

Are you taking  your camera with you as closeups and pics give us a better feel with what we are talking about

Also what are they asking for the settup if you dont mind me asking  ;) ??? ???

Good luck Mate

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ron R.

Chris, Don't mind at all.  They are wanting $1900 for the works. I'm still trying to get in touch with the gentlemen personally but having trouble hooking up with him. But I think it's worth a close look.          Ron

Bill_G

I have a 1969 Corley automatic and have never had trouble getting parts.

Ron R.

Good evening everyone. O.K. update. Got in touch with the gentlemen finally on the corley mill. I am headed up there saturday. Information I got from him is mandrel is in good shape. Carriage in his opinion needs a little attention,(carriage wheels have some play) everything else is good. The power unit is a cummins 6 cyl and he doesn't know if it will run but was supposed to be good when he bought the mill. Unit has been under cover but he personally hadn't run it as he never put the mill up. Has a 52 in. inserted tooth blade and a 48 in. inserted blade with a new box of teeth. The other power unit is a 6 cyl cummins in a tractor trailer truck but he hasn't pulled the engine yet but said it was definetly a good engine. I'm going Saturday and look it over and take some pics. He wants to sell it asap.                                    Ron

bandmiller2

Sounds like a fair deal Ron,especially if its complete.Hopefully Corley has some plans for setup,its always easier when the mill has been setup and you can see the parts relationship.A metal lathe [or friend that has one]is a great help in rebuilding an old mill.Wheels can be trued up and bearings adjusted or replaced.Bodybuilder weights can be machined for some wheel replacements,if I recall I have one wheel that says Golds gym on it.Show us the pictures so we can comment more.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron R.

Made a trip to Indiana to look at the corley mill. NO luck. Mill was far from advertised but would make a good parts mill if someone needed one. So the search continues. I didn't bother wasting my time taking pics as it wasn't even close to what I was looking for.... I'll just have to keep looking.........Ron

Thank You Sponsors!