iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

'nother project - chuck wagon

Started by pineywoods, May 12, 2009, 10:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

A friend of mine is associated with a cowboy church. They have an old chuckwagon they use as a sort of rolling church. Authentic chuckwagons have a fold-out kitchen called a grub box, across the back end of the bed. This one was missing, so friend volunteered to build one. He came to me looking for 18 inch wide oak boards. I gave him some good dry white oak 1X6, showed him how to biscuit join them, the planed the resulting boards. Might as well just build it in my shop since I have the needed tools.
Here's the finished box before painting.

Uh OH, this DanG thing is too heavy to lift in place, so bring the wagon to my place and use my fork lift to install the box. Painted it John Deere green and yellow

Then the "while I'm here's" started. Everwhere we looked we found undercarriage parts that were rotten and broken. Replaced about a dozen structural parts with new wood (ash)

Entire front suspension removed for repairs

It still needs a new front axle, 6 ft 4X5 solid oak, tapered on each end. Anybody out there ever made wagon axles? I need some advice...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

thecfarm

Good job.I like that old stuff.Good luck with "your" project.Any way to get a picture with the horses hooked up to it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

zopi

try this...

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Traditional-Farm-Wagon-Chuck/dp/0979029708

you can also go to Google Books and search for old books that the
copyrights have expired...I've found a bunch of useful stuff that way..I have a pretty good how to guide for making wheels if you wind up needing it..
Every  year or so I wind up going to a girl scout campout and cooking for a bunch of folks..I have thought of building an old boy scout trek cart and setting it up as a minature chuck wagon..make a canvas tarpaulin and rain fly...big chuck box...

You are making a nice deposit into the bank of Karma... :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Norm

thedeeredude

pineywoods

Quote from: thecfarm on May 13, 2009, 06:29:17 AM
.Any way to get a picture with the horses hooked up to it?

No horses yet, but that's probably in the works. Till then, it has a short tongue hitched to an ATV  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Don_Papenburg

I have an axle in my office  sounds like you got it figured out 4x5 pointed on each end .   But not a sharp point ,blunt end
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

fat olde elf

Great project !! Love to see folks repair and renovate neat old stuff.....
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

timberfaller390

I have done several wagon restorations, includeing building the wheels and hand forging and forge welding the tire bands. If I can help let me know.  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,35014.0.html https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,35006.0.html
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

pineywoods

Quote from: timberfaller390 on May 16, 2009, 02:41:54 PM
I have done several wagon restorations, includeing building the wheels and hand forging and forge welding the tire bands. If I can help let me know. 

Thanks, hope I can handle it here.  What has me concerned is building a new front axle. I can see that the cast iron ends (called thimbles around here) have to fit exactly on the tapered ends of the wood axle. Have had a couple of suggestions 1- use lots of jb weld.   2- grease the inside of the thimble, fill it with plaster of paris, the pop the plaster plug out and use it for a pattern.  Also looked at extending my lathe to 6 ft and try turning the tapered ends.
For the time being, the old axle is still in service, just don't think it will last long.

LeeB

I'm thinking drawknife or spokeshave.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

timberfaller390

Quote from: LeeB on May 19, 2009, 01:12:03 AM
I'm thinking drawknife or spokeshave.
Actually an ax to start off with  :D then the draw knife and spoke shave.   The plaster mold is a good idea. Get your axle shaped like you need it BUT leave it "just a frog hair" too big. Heat up the thimble to a dull cherry read and slide it on. There will be lots of smoke so do this out side. It might take a couple taps from the hammer to get it all the way on. If it was steel you could throw cold water on it and shrink it so that it would NEVER come off, but since it is cast you run the risk of cracking or completely destroying it. Heat will be fine but no sudden cold.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zopi

was thinking about this thread today...if you get to work on it some more..

Check out the book Foxfire 2...some good info on wagons and wheels..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

brdmkr

Piney,

You do the coolest stuff! 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

pineywoods

Quote from: brdmkr on June 08, 2009, 10:37:10 PM
Piney,

You do the coolest stuff! 

Well thanky. Some folks wonder how I get involved in so many different things, not all of which  get posted on here. To be honest, I have a lot of help. I'm "retired" and I hang around with a bunch of ole retired farts. We seem to have a never ending list of things we need to hurry up and do before the grim reaper comes calling. Starting on a tool shed for one of us tomorrow. When that is finished (or we get tired of that project) gonna put a tongue and groove hardwood floor in an old mobile home. That's after we make the flooring. Most of us are too dumb to know we can't do that, so we go ahead and do whatever needs doing.  ::)
Life is never dull

LeeB

Can't never could, couldn't wouldn't and ain't gonna done been sent home. That used to be the attitude in the oilfield when I first started. Whole different ball game now.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Don_Papenburg

I concour with Timberfeller.  shave the axle close to the final shape (make templates so both side will be the same ) then heat the thimble and slip it in place .  I would take it off and clean up some char if needed.   then you could heat it again but just warm enough to sizzle spit. then slip it on and tighten the draw bolt.  It will /should be cool enough that the wood will not char any more
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

Great project Pineywoods. Enjoying your progress.  :) We had tons of horse stuff around here from great grand father days, most was worn out and the good stuff dad's cousins cabbaged and sold before dad bought them out and some after (they kept sacking after dad bought it even ::) ). Mom's brother had lots of horse drawn machinery to. He gave a lot to the Amish in PA when folks came here to hunt (not Amish just some friends I guess).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

timberfaller390

Quote from: zopi on June 07, 2009, 10:21:01 PM

Judd Nelson's shop ( the blacksmith in the Foxfire book) down in Sugar Valley, GA> is about 30 minutes from my place
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zopi

Quote from: timberfaller390 on June 10, 2009, 11:52:56 PM
Quote from: zopi on June 07, 2009, 10:21:01 PM

Judd Nelson's shop ( the blacksmith in the Foxfire book) down in Sugar Valley, GA> is about 30 minutes from my place
Oh that's cool...I used to be an active ABANA member, kinda fell off it, but I still have my forge and tools..

I was working with the Possum Trot forge council in Adams Tn..bunch of good folks there, have a big steam and gas show every year..nice little steam powered circle mill there too.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

timberfaller390

We have the Blacksmith's Guild in Chattanooga but I don't have time to get over there very often.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

WildDog

Looks good Piney, great to see the old gear resurrected and saved from eternal extinction. I collect old bullock wagon axles but they are all solid iron, a 2 man lift, it must be a down-under thing, I have never seen wooden axles before.   :-\
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

pineywoods

Cowboy church started to use the chuckwagon and noticed the front axle looked a little worse for wear. Sure enough, it's kinda bent.

Further inspection revealed a more serious problem

Temporary fix until a new axle is obtained

New axle is in the construction stage, temporarily on hold until the haying season is over.

sandhills

Thats the first time I've seen this thread, pineywoods this is really neat please keep updating as you go.  I'd really like to see the finished axle and see how you do it.

Thank You Sponsors!