iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Persimmons

Started by Ernie, May 09, 2009, 03:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

Help, the wasps are starting to eat my persimmons and they aren't even nearly ripe enough to pick.

If I pick them once they have turned orange but are not yet ripe, will they ripen indoors or will I just have to take the few that the wasps leave for me.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

beenthere

Drat!!
I feel for ya Ernie.  I'm not goin to get any persimmons to eat either.   :( :( :(

;D ;D

I've had fair luck killing wasps with ORTHO Home Defense, or likely you have something similar. Spray it where the wasps land (but not on your persimmons) and they eventually lick it off and bite the dust. Seems to work well for me anyway, and lasts for a few weeks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ernie

Beenthere, For a few years, I mixed up tinned cat food with carbaryl and made little dispensers out of plastic 2 litre icecream containers with little doors cut into the sides.  I nailed these on the tops of fence posts and put the cat food/carbaryl mix inside.  I did this in early spring when the wasps are after protein to take back for the queen.  We got rid of almost all the wasps around the place.  My problem is that I forgot to do it the last few years and we have quite a few nests now.  The ones that I can find I puff a bit of the carbaryl powder into the entrance and in a couple of days they are all dead but my eyesight isnt what it used to be and I am having trouble following them as they fly home.  Next spring (its autumn here now)  I'll restart my poisoning campaign so that I get fruit next year.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

WH_Conley

If you was here in Kentucky, the deer would keep the wasps from the persimmons, course you would still get any. >:(
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!