iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Sticks

Started by E_King, May 06, 2009, 09:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E_King

Is it ok to use green hemlock stickers for green red oak lumber? Any input what you all are using for stickers. I am getting ready to load my kiln for the first time and want to dry 4000 bdf red oak (nyle L200). I have a lot of green hemlock boards left over from my building and would rip them to 1"x1" green, Will this cause oak to  sticker stain?

OneWithWood

In a word yes.

My understanding is for best results you should use dry sticks, preferable of the same species.  Dry sticks of a different species will work but you do run the risk of some stain.  Usually the stain from dry sticks will plain out.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Radar67

Why not run your sticker material through the kiln first, then you have dry sticks for the first real load.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

karl

Ideal would be dry oak, we always use dry stickers, but most of ours are w pine or
w cedar cause that's what we dry most often and we use the downfall edgings and nasty boards from the planer mill for stickers. Even with hdwds we have had little issue with stain.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

beenthere

How valuable is the 4000 feet of red oak, to you?

Is it low grade, and right for your first practice kiln run?

If so, then have at it.

However, if this is a load of high grade red oak, and a customers order...I'd refigure and do some practice runs first (and in the process, get some dry stickers that way).

On the other hand, you may have the Nyle already figured out, and know exactly what to do and what to expect. Hope it goes well for you.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

E_King

Thanks for the input, I'll go with dry stickers, I'll  be loading the kiln with 4000 bdf red oak  #1 common for first load, but my intentions are to dry all FAS green right from sawmill after expierment. Finishing today with insulation (4" spray foam)and installing the fans.

Ironwood

You picked a tough first load. Any chance you can try something else first?  I don't know too many folks not pre-drying, as it save a ton of time in the kiln and hence $$$. Only so many days ina year!  :P

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!