iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stickers

Started by woodhaven, August 23, 2003, 05:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhaven

I normally use dry pine for stickers. At the moment I have a over abundance of popular and was thinking of turning a lot of it into stickers. Is there any reason not to? Is there any stain or anything else with using popular? Will the popular stain Walnut or any other wood?
Richard

BBTom

I have successfully used yellow poplar for sticks, always use dry sticks. I haven't seen any problem with them.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

woodhaven

Come on guys I know BBTom and I arn't the only ones that use stickers.
Richard

Percy

When I cut  a truckload of Birch,I used Western Red Cedar stickers...that stuff air drys elquicko. The buyers didnt complain so Im thinkin they will work as well as most.  Makin em is a pain in da butt ya.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Kevin

I only use cedar stickers, that's what I have the most of.

woodhaven

Percy,
What could be a pain about it??
Richard

Percy

I guess the pain part is the non return on the effort of makin them. Im used to tightpiling loads of WRC so mebey Im just spoiled. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

I was prowling the 'net tother day, lookin for a gearbox. Came across a Surplus outfit that had a special section on sawmill stuff, LOTS of rollers and green chain and live decks and live roll sections and "STICKERS". BUNDLES of "STICKERS". They had a name for 'em, so, I figger they was somethin other than wood.
  I know how "cheep" y'all are, so, didn't bother to mention it ::) ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  They were 50 cents each at 8' long and there were big bundles of 'em. Had 4 footers too  :o

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodhaven

Hay Man,
Hows the foot?
Richard

Haytrader

Harold,

Take a look here.
www.curtismachine.com
I talked to them earlier and they have what ya need for a swinger. (as far as gearboxs go)
Haytrader

Carl_B

I am using poplar stickers in my kiln. There has not be any trouble with stain. The first load of lumber was a load of poplar stickers and lumber were green no stain on the first load.   Carl B.

Fla._Deadheader

WH, the foot's gettin better. Not fast enough for my wife, but, it's comin. :D :D

Haytrader. I have been on the phone off and on for over a month with Curtis. They will NOT return any calls. I keep calling and the other day, I said, "let's get this thing ordered and shipped.
  The sales person, said, she had been sick and she would have to check with engineering???  She then said, there would have to be modifications and the price was twice that originally quoted. I ASKED WHY??? She said Engineering would call me. That was the middle of last week. Again, no calls. I went with another Company.
   Really appreciate yer trying to help me out.  FDH
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kevin_H.

On the subject of stickers,
I use CDX Plywood, cutting the piece into 4' x 4'  and standing it up on the mill I can cut a whole lot of sticks in a short amout of time, and I dont have to wait for dry lumber.

I also find that making them this way, the sticks are alot more uniform.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Percy

So whats the proper edicut(sp) on the sticker thing?? I cut up a herd of WRC stickers for my truckload of birch,sent the load off with the stickers ant thats the last I seen of em  :'(. Do you guys get them back from your buyers?? or is givin them away just a fact of life in the hardwood game?? :o
Thanks ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Ya did such a fine job, they REALLY preshee ::) :D :D :D :D :Dated "em.
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

Percy didn't ya put a return address on them stickers??? :D :D

If ya want some free stickers let me know as my kid has a bunch that he will donate to ya. ;D

Do ya want peel and stick or the kind that you lick???

Steve

Kevin_H.

I dont sell a lot of lumber, and when I do the people typically pick though my stacks and pick what the want, so I retain all mine.

I will offer to sell plywood sticks to the people I custom cut for, I take a couple of bundles with me to the job. This kinda save me from having to take the time to rip them out of the customers low grade boards.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

woodhaven

My problem is:
In the winter months I end up using all my stickers for kindling in the shop so every year I end up cutting a lot of stickers. This year all the logs I have around is poplar and havn't used poplar for stickers before.
Richard

LeeB

thought I wood get my stickers for pretty much free. Went to a local hardwood dealer and picked up two bundles of off cuts from thier straight line rip. Most of it was poplar. After sorting through the first bundle to get everything wide enough for a sticker, I ended up with not so many stickers and a life time supply of kindlng. Have'nt even started on the second bundle. the two of them loaded a sixteen foot trailer. So much for good ideas. Thinking maybe I can cut the thin stuff into 14" pieces and make small bundles to sell as kindling. Think it will work? LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

You might be able to straighten the larger pieces up, bundle them, and sell them on Ebay. :D

Bro. Noble

Percy,

The broker we sell to now doesn't want the lumber on stickers ,  so we take them down just before we haul.  We used to sell to a place that wanted them on stickers (they were slow getting it graded-----and paid for).  They told us they would save our stickers and we could pick them up next load.  Next load we asked.  They pointed to a random pile of stuff that wouldn't make good kindling and said "take all you need"  It wasn't too long before we found another buyer.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Percy

Heya Noble
The outfit I sold to said the same thing, If I can cut it and ship it fast enuff,stickers arnt required. Also, when the cooler weather comes, they ane not need as well..
Bizi.....Dedhed....couple a goofs :D :D :D :D Thanks for the input, Ill take a page of Homer Simpson peel back stickers..thankyou very much.

Fla._Deadheader

Betcha never figgered the learning curve would be so big, EH, Percy ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Percy

Ya Dedhedder Im thinkin the  WRC may be the way to go. It grows around here. The birch, I gotta get from areas more inland from here and the margin is better on the WRC. Thing is the dust will get you and it dulls the blades fast. Guess theres no free lunch....dern.........I was hopin :D :D :D

biziedizie

Percy my son don't let me buy Homer stickers. ::) ::) He don't like the show. :o :o I wish I had a tv cause I think that show rocks. 8) 8) Homer reminds me of me. 8) 8) I like beer and I think too much. ;D

Steve

Thank You Sponsors!