iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SW Washington Field Trip

Started by Jeremy_M, May 05, 2009, 12:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy_M

Six idle Yarders in SW Washington  :'(

StorminN

Doesn't surprise me... check the Richie Bros. auction in Olympia in June, I bet you'll see some of those for sale...

The other day, I heard Doug fir was $200 per 1000... I still see some logs moving around here (North Olympic Peninsula), but not many... been seeing more long poles (utility poles?) than anything...

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Jeremy_M

They were hoping to get some equipment moving out pretty soon according to the mechanic I met.  Some work was expected to break loose pretty soon apparently.

TwinCut

Here's some innovative thinking for using Yarders. A friend of mine in Washington took one of his yarders to the US-Mexico border and was using it on the steep slopes of the border to help install the new fence that is being put up. As I understand it, he is lifting the pre-built sections into place. The things you do to stay in bussiness.

stonebroke

What does he use to hold the guy wires? Not many trees down on the border.

Stonebroke

L. Willey

Quote from: stonebroke on May 12, 2009, 10:01:29 AM

Stonebroke
His tail hold is probably a D6C, or a D6D.  He probably doesnt even need to pull in his skyline.  Hooktenders dream.

Jeremy_M

Somewhere I saw pictures of someone using a yarder to retrieve pieces of a bridge that was demolished or fell down out of a river.  Can't remember if that was here or on the arborist site.  A company in Chehalis WA builds dragline buckets and refurbishes old yarders to clear out old gravel pits.  http://www.ramseycoinc.com/  That's where I got alot of my old yarder pictures. 

I have seen the loggers up in BC using excavators as a tail hold for their grapple yarders.  Looks like instead of retiring their old road-building equipment the convert it over for that use.  Kind of cool.

stumphugger

Yes, the highway dept. here hired a logger with a Skagit swing yarder and a dragline to help repair a slide area.  Somehow, that old yarder just didn't look right alongside the shiney newer excavators.  But it got the job done. 

Jeremy_M

Jeremy_M

Looks like things are starting to break loose at least a little the last week or so.  Lots of log trucks moving around in Longview lately.  Also while eavesdropping on the scanner I heard the big Berger yarder, pictured above, getting moved to a job.

mdvaden

On and off, I've been reading a book called DEADFALL, about logging, and much of it deals with the Washington area.

Interesting to see how logging has waxed and waned there.

Seems more waning than waxing.

Paul_H

Quote from: stonebroke on May 12, 2009, 10:01:29 AM

Stonebroke

We've used deadmen on 3 out of 6 guylines on our old 90 foot Madill.The two back quarters and a square which were all taking the pull from the yarding lines.We were right alongside the Lillooet River,yarding down off a bluff and we had nothing but sand bar behind so the DFO gave us permission to bury 3 logs out on the bar as tailholts.
We've also anchored into rock on both the grapple yarder(122 Madill) and the 90 footer and have used D8 Cats and other heavy equipment for anchors too.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

wi woodcutter

Quote from: Paul_H on June 01, 2009, 11:17:59 PM

We've used deadmen on 3 out of 6 guylines on our old 90 foot Madill.The two back quarters and a square which were all taking the pull from the yarding lines.We were right alongside the Lillooet River,yarding down off a bluff and we had nothing but sand bar behind so the DFO gave us permission to bury 3 logs out on the bar as tailholts.
We've also anchored into rock on both the grapple yarder(122 Madill) and the 90 footer and have used D8 Cats and other heavy equipment for anchors too.

WOW! Paul do you have any pics of that?
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Paul_H

Sadly,no :-\
It was the fall of 1991 and the setting was at the far end of our dryland sort right alongside the river.All that was a couple years before the Forest practices Code and Riparian Management zones.Even so,we worked with the DFO and had authorization.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

StorminN

Drove from the Olympic Peninsula to Portland, OR today... a four hour drive. I saw very few log trucks, maybe 15 total. Of the ones I saw, maybe 70% of them were hauling alder, the others were hauling fir. Didn't see any cedar or hemlock. The other day, someone said fir was at $200 / 1000, so it's no wonder not much is moving...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Thank You Sponsors!