iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar saws

Started by Maineloggerkid, May 04, 2009, 06:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maineloggerkid

THis weekend at the expo, I got to try a Dolmar 7900. Gotta say, I was impressed. THe weight, the power, the price. If this saw is durable, its a winner in my book. I would never get rid of my huskies, but I may add one of these to my line-up.

So, how is the durability of these saws. The nearest dealer is 75 miles away, and I don't want to make too many trips back and forth.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

567paloggger

i was thinking on getting a dolmar myself my dealer sells huskys and dolmars he said he likes the dolmar alot better than the husky he says he had no problems iwth them at all and he logs quit a bit after his shop closes and on sundays works right out of his pole barn

RSteiner

I purchased a Dolmar 5100 PS a year ago.  I have been using the saw quite a bit recently doing some ice storm clean up and tree removal on an estate.  I really like the saw.  I have not had an issue with it yet. 

Having a dealer close by might be a consideration though, just in case.

Randy
Randy

bandmiller2

I have an older Sacks-Dolmar,a fine saw, in my mind their the full equal to any of the better saws.If I ever wear out the mess of saws I have now I'll try a new Dolmar.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Maineloggerkid

WEll, it sounds good so far. :)

Maineloggerkid

Also, what is the price difference between a regualar 372xp and the XPW model? I want to pick up another 372 before they end the run, and I was thinking of getting one of the 75cc, wrap handle configurations. I know the wrap may be useless around here, but I like the big dawgs and 75cc's. I could always order regular handles with it in case I don't like the wrap bars.

ladylake

Power of a 385, weight of a 372 at a good price sure sounds good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ianab

I cant really say how durable they are, mine has never broken  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Maineloggerkid

^^^^ thats what I like to hear!

zackman1801

I was up to bangor today and Faulkners had a large selection of Dolmar saws, is that really 75 miles from you?
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Maineloggerkid

At least, not counting surface streets in bangor. Those add up, too. :-\

lonewolf

I have four Dolmar saws. Switched over from Stihl after 12 years. 2 5100 and 2 7900. The 5100 saws I use in pine or smaller timber. If you use them in pine be sure and clean the cylinder fins as pitch and sawdust will accumulate and cause them to overheat and score the cylinders. I do this about once a week. On the 7900 saws the only trouble I have had in 2 years is a failure of the kill switch. It is simple to replace and my dealer will warrenty them. Had a bad run of switches and went through several at first no troubles for the last few months. In my opinion they are a top of the line saw and I intend to continue to use them as long as I am logging.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

Maineloggerkid

That sounds great, lonewolf! ABout the 372xpw, I checjed the saw shop today, and there is only like $40 difference.

Off topic-

Hey lonewolf, did you notice you have the earth first sig as I do?  8)

lonewolf

Sure did maine and if you ever get to WI and see a beat up S 10 with the same bumper sticker honk and I'll pull over and B.S.!!!
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

Maineloggerkid

Sounds like a plan!

loopysouth

i have an old sachs dolmar 116si and it is a fantastic saw, bit heavy but it is in proportion with the saw. the only down side is getting parts but can be easily found on the net, in my opinion better than husky

MOwoodchopper

Dolmars are awesome. They are my favorite saw Id have to say. I like the old ones they are tough as nails and tons of torque. New ones are also great I have 3 I cut with all the time. I really like huskys to though, stihl I like the old ones not the new ones so much.
STIHL 084
STIHL 026 X2
STIHL 015
HUSQVARNA 372XP
DOLKITA 7900
DOLMAR 6800
DOLMAR 5105

MOwoodchopper

Quote from: loopysouth on July 16, 2009, 11:19:42 AM
i have an old sachs dolmar 116si and it is a fantastic saw, bit heavy but it is in proportion with the saw. the only down side is getting parts but can be easily found on the net, in my opinion better than husky

Dolmar 116si is the best 60cc saw built IMO, also most powerful 60cc saw I have ever ran, not the fastest but the most torque!
STIHL 084
STIHL 026 X2
STIHL 015
HUSQVARNA 372XP
DOLKITA 7900
DOLMAR 6800
DOLMAR 5105

ladylake

Quote from: MOwoodchopper on July 29, 2009, 10:04:26 PM
Quote from: loopysouth on July 16, 2009, 11:19:42 AM

Dolmar 116si is the best 60cc saw built IMO, also most powerful 60cc saw I have ever ran, not the fastest but the most torque!

Right, not the fastest but the most torgue. I just did some timed cuts, my 85cc saw that has high RPM engine took 10 seconds, my 80 cc saw that doesn't turn nearly as fast but has a lot of torque took 11 seconds side by side.  Not bad for being 5 cc less.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cut4fun

Now if Dolmar would only supply replacement parts to saws they sold in the past. What a PITA. I have 2 166  running and 1 needing parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTplf5etMes

SawTroll

Quote from: lonewolf on May 09, 2009, 12:38:44 PM
I have four Dolmar saws. Switched over from Stihl after 12 years. 2 5100 and 2 7900. The 5100 saws I use in pine or smaller timber. If you use them in pine be sure and clean the cylinder fins as pitch and sawdust will accumulate and cause them to overheat and score the cylinders. I do this about once a week. On the 7900 saws the only trouble I have had in 2 years is a failure of the kill switch. It is simple to replace and my dealer will warrenty them. Had a bad run of switches and went through several at first no troubles for the last few months. In my opinion they are a top of the line saw and I intend to continue to use them as long as I am logging.

That switch is a well known weak point of the 7900 etc- some replace them with Husky 372 etc switches.
Information collector.

ARKANSAWYER

Have an old Sachs-Dolmar that I used hard for several years.  The coil went out one time after about 5 years of use and the kill switch went out and I just used the choke to kill it since.  After about 12 years of use and falling off the truck several times it got hard to start so I retired it.   I boutght a sthil to replace it and I will never do that again.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!