iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

super high temp electric heating units

Started by Ironwood, May 03, 2009, 11:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I need a super high temp (150-190*F) electric heating units for my new kiln. Standard base boards are hovering around 150* but I need more. It is NOT a heat loss issue it seems to be that is their upper limit. Anyone got any ideas? I would like to stick w/ electrics for simplicity. The unit is small, 16' x 7' x 7' (former ice truck box, super insulated).

Thanks in advance. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

scsmith42

Reid, when I needed more temp from my Nyle I simply added some heat strips from a heat pump above the condensor coil (and below the condenser fan).  As I recall I added a 5KW and a 10KW strip.

I powered them via a contactor that is wired into the relay that kicks in the other heat strips.

I bought them new (surplus) from a local HVAC company - think that I paid less than $50.00 for both of then new in the box.

Works great, and no problems whatsoever exceeding 150 degrees.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ironwood

Thanks Scott. Everything is already wired to a 220 line w/ relay and switches. So, there are no temperature safety kickouts? As I veiw Grainger it seems most electric heater have a high heat "kick out" feature.

Thanks Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ironwood

OK, can't find heat strips in grainger. I made a few calls, anyone got a rotted out pizza oven laying around w/ good heating elements in it? Hey, dont laugh I excell outside the "box" and sometimes my feet don't even touch the ground  :D.   

Just found the heat strips in Grainger under "Process Heating", I think now I am getting somewhere.

FYI, for those who say, why electric (given how costly)? The answer, Simplicty, and the customer is going to be footing the electric bill. So, for now that is my approach.

Ironwood

beenthere

Looks like McMaster Carr also has a variety of heat strips too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

scsmith42

Quote from: Ironwood on May 04, 2009, 08:50:20 AM
Thanks Scott. Everything is already wired to a 220 line w/ relay and switches. So, there are no temperature safety kickouts? As I veiw Grainger it seems most electric heater have a high heat "kick out" feature.

Thanks Ironwood

Reid, in my instance I'm using the temp safety kickout from the heat strips that came in my Nyle.

If you're able to use heat strips from an Heat pump, you can probably get them for free as a used takout from an air handler that's being replaced.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ironwood

I ran to Mr. Hootie's North,( my buddy also full of interesting STUFF), he had a NG drying unit that had some slam'in electric heating elements that are ina tube system, I will cut them out tonight and see what gives.

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!