iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guide bar question: Stihl E vs ES on a MS 361?

Started by StihlTheOne, May 03, 2009, 10:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StihlTheOne

Will be buying a Stihl MS361 soon so trying to decide on a guide bar. Any recommendations or informed opinions concerning the Stihl regular E bar vs the super ES? I guess I would like to hear from someone with real-world experience with both.

And I really can't find too much information on the specifics of these bars. Considering the 18" and 20" only bars at this time. I understand the construction difference, but what about the weight between the two? And it would be helpful to know when talking to a dealer, what's the Suggested Retail Price on the two? Is the difference worth it?

Basically, need to hear from you folks that have the knowledge. Please don't tell me to go talk to a dealer....I like to have this type of info BEFORE I visit them. (There's a couple around here that like to shoot from the hip when answering questions)
Thanks in advance for any information.

Al_Smith

I can't help you any .I have a few Stihl bars but I don't know the difference in them.

Some people prefer genuine Stihl stuff ,I do not . I generally  buy replacement bars from Baileys ,Windser ,Carlton etc  . It seems to me the oil holes are larger than genuine Stihl bars which allows for better oil flow especialy considering Stihl uses the most stingy oilers on the market . My two cents, worth about a penny and a half .

Rocky_J

The E bars are laminated from two pieces of steel glued together with the tip sandwiched between them, the ES bars are cut from one solid piece of steel with the tip section riveted on the end. The ES bars are considered more durable but are also more expensive.

That said, the E bars are still quite good and will last a while. They are also slightly lighter than the ES bars.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

StihlTheOne

Quote from: beenthere on May 03, 2009, 01:03:21 PM
I shoot from the hip.  8)

.....seems trying to get some meanful advice on here is a lot like trying to find good help now a days. Must be a Stihl dealer !?!? 

woodsrunner

[quote author

.....seems trying to get some meanful advice on here is a lot like trying to find good help now a days. Must be a Stihl dealer !?!? 
[/quote]

I think you will gets lots of meaningful advice on this forum. Lots of good folks here who will help you and already have. Two of our most knowledgeable members have already responded with good info. Jeff runs a tight ship here and doesn't allow things to get ugly.
Scott

Rocky_J

Quote from: beenthere on May 03, 2009, 01:03:21 PM
I shoot from the hip.  8)

We are also allowed to be humorous (or at least attempt to be humorous).  :)

GASoline71

Quote from: StihlTheOne on May 03, 2009, 10:14:07 AM
And I really can't find too much information on the specifics of these bars.

Really?  This is right on Stihl's website...  http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/guidebars.html#super

The ES bars are the best bars made... period. 

The E bars do not have a replacebale tip.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Rocky_J

Gary,
It is true that the E bars do not have a replaceable tip, but to be honest in 25 years I've never replaced a tip yet. The bars seem to get worn or bent long before the tips give out. Of course I'm not felling 150' trees and don't do a lot of bore cutting either. I think the odds of a homeowner or farmer ever needing to replace a bar tip are pretty slim.

StihlTheOne

Hey thanks, I appreciate the information. And yes, I found the info on the Stihl website but this is the extent of what I've learned so far. How about weight and price differences?

Overall, great site...Thanks for any help. :P

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on May 03, 2009, 11:10:12 AM
The E bars are laminated from two pieces of steel glued together with the tip sandwiched between them, the ES bars are cut from one solid piece of steel with the tip section riveted on the end. The ES bars are considered more durable but are also more expensive.

That said, the E bars are still quite good and will last a while. They are also slightly lighter than the ES bars.

Right - except the E is spot welded, not glued, and there are 3 layers (the middle one has cutouts to reduce weight).... :D :D

Your point is valid anyway!
Information collector.

GASoline71

Quote from: Rocky_J on May 03, 2009, 06:30:52 PM
Gary,
It is true that the E bars do not have a replaceable tip, but to be honest in 25 years I've never replaced a tip yet. The bars seem to get worn or bent long before the tips give out. Of course I'm not felling 150' trees and don't do a lot of bore cutting either. I think the odds of a homeowner or farmer ever needing to replace a bar tip are pretty slim.

Very true Brian... The only bar tips I've ever replaced were on Oregon bars... I have yet to wear out a tip in a Stihl bar, and I'm hard on my equipment.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

spencerhenry

i run a power ported 036 when i am working piece rate felling and limbing. i run a 20" 'E' bar for the weight savings. its not alot, but when you are slinging a saw for 6 to 9 hours at a time every little bit helps. i have 5 20" bars, 4 'E', and one 'ES', the 'E' bars are also cheaper. once the bar gets worn pretty bad, i start a new one, and use the old one as a backup or when i am cutting in dirty wood. a bar file will help keep the bar alive for a longer time. i have worn out a tip on an 'ES' bar, and between what the tip costs, and the time to replace it, i think i am better off just getting another bar.

joe_indi

Though the Rollomatic E bar does not have a replaceable bar nose, replacement nose sprockets are available as spares.
So, if you are a user who does not bend the guidebar out of shape or run your chains too tight, the Rollomatic E would be a better buy than the more expensive ES bar.

madhatte

I use both E and ES bars of several lengths and on several saws regularly, and like them both about equally.  If cost is a factor, by all means buy an E.  Otherwise, I'd say buy what you like.  Stihl equipment is rock-solid no matter how you look at it. 

Thank You Sponsors!